Airtran getting rid of 737-700s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airtran getting rid of 737-700s?

The company I work for does ground handling for Shared Services Aviation, a company flying workers to the north slope, which has a fleet of two 737-200s, and two 737-700s. Both the -700s came from Airtran. One had 500 hours, and the other had 50.

Anybody know why they are getting rid of them?
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Air Tran is cutting their budgets. They can't afford new planes orders. B737-700 are great planes but Air Tran's mangerments are lousy planning. I heard that Iraqi Airways recieved two 737-700 came from Air Tran.

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Big777jet View Post
      Air Trans is cutting their budgets. They can't afford new planes orders. B737-700 are great planes but Air Trans' mangerments are lousy planning. I heard that Iraqi Airways recieved two 737-700 came from Air Trans.

Stuart
      I'd be hardpressed to say FL has lousy mgmt, I mean they posted a profit and WN did not. That alone should tell ya something.

But yes, FL has been selling some -700's, as WN and other airlines too.

Alex
      Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by ATrude777 View Post

Alex
        It just seemed odd that one of them came up here and had only roughly 50 hours on it.
        You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Originally posted by ASpilot2be View Post
          It just seemed odd that one of them came up here and had only roughly 50 hours on it.
          Planes are ordered years in advance. Then things change, and they probably found a buyer.

In the 1980s, there was a story of Ozark Airlines purchasing and painting two 727s...and they never made one flight for the airline.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            Planes are ordered years in advance. Then things change, and they probably found a buyer.

In the 1980s, there was a story of Ozark Airlines purchasing and painting two 727s...and they never made one flight for the airline.
            LOL! I remember that Ozark never fly on service just only flying test from Boeing Field. I saw a picture Ozark 727 flying out of Boeing Field. It's rarely photo I guess.

Stuart

Comment

I'd be hardpressed to say FL has lousy mgmt, I mean they posted a profit and WN did not. That alone should tell ya something.

Alex
              Does Southwest selling 737-300 and 737-500? I doubt not sell any of 700's.

Stuart

Comment

Airlines do this all the time. Remember these planes were ordered when times were booming and people were traveling by record numbers so Airtran ordered based on the growth trends at the time. Now that the bottom has fallen out of the economy they have to adjust their growth model and that means not taking on new planes. Remember WN parked brand new 737s after 9/11 for months since they couldn't support that kind of capacity.

Comment

I heard that Iraqi Airways recieved two 737-700 came from Air Tran.

Stuart
                  I can confirm that a pair of 737-700s have been delivered to Iraqi Airways. There were pictures on this very site that showed the aircraft operating for IA.

As for FL, to add to what has been already said, FL's intended purpose for the 737-700s were to have them add range to an airline that was limited (due to the use of the 717s). The 717s were, and are the very backbone of the FL fleet and are amazing aircraft for range/capacity on flights out of the centrally located ATL. However, FL had hoped that with the 737s a West Coast expansion would be viable, and perhaps tapping into a market in which they could offer airports in the South Eastern U.S. (most keenly, Floridian airports) services to the California, Nevada and Washington (state). With a receeding economy, there is simply no viability. I can see later deliveries of 737s staying with the airline, but these recently added aircraft can be placed with other carriers.
                  Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Does Southwest selling 737-300 and 737-500? I doubt not sell any of 700's.

Stuart
                    Southwest is returning the -300's that leases have ended on. I am sure they will begin to start physically selling the -300's if they haven't already.

I do also know that WN HAS attempted to sell -700's too whether any physically went through I do not know.

Alex

Comment

It seems obvious to everyone else but what does "FL" mean?
                      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaos View Post
                        Thanks.
                        Alex was trying to abbreviation airline code FL is Air Tran. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Kaos View Post
                          Thanks.
                          FL is the airline Code for "Air Tran Airways"

Alex

Comment

Southwest is returning the -300's that leases have ended on. I am sure they will begin to start physically selling the -300's if they haven't already.

I do also know that WN HAS attempted to sell -700's too whether any physically went through I do not know.

Alex
                            WN has done sale and leasebacks on the some 700s

Comment

Working...
                            X