On This Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On This Day

Charles Lindbergh landed the Spirit of St. Louis after crossing the Atlantic and once and for all proved American dominace over France in aviation.

Originally posted by IntheShade View Post
    Charles Lindbergh landed the Spirit of St. Louis after crossing the Atlantic and once and for all proved American dominace over France in aviation.
    Congrats to the Swede-American.
    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Lindbergh was about 8 years late. The first non-stop trans-atlantic crossing took place in June 1919 when John Alcock and Arthur Brown flew a Vickers Vimy from St John's Newfoundland to Clifden Ireland. Seems the Brits were the first.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale View Post
        Lindbergh was about 8 years late. The first non-stop trans-atlantic crossing took place in June 1919 when John Alcock and Arthur Brown flew a Vickers Vimy from St John's Newfoundland to Clifden Ireland. Seems the Brits were the first.
        They were the first crew, he was the first solo. Let's see how you fare in an airplane for 33 hours by yourself. I know I couldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
          They were the first crew, he was the first solo. Let's see how you fare in an airplane for 33 hours by yourself. I know I couldn't do it.
          They were the first non-stop.

Comment

Why do you have to hate on America so much!

Comment

To be honest he said dominance over France, not England So I whole-heartedly agree!
              "And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension." Senna, Ayrton.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf View Post
                Why do you have to hate on America so much!
                Yeah and why do you hate pilots so much PTBoat?

Did you also know that a dirgible also crossed non-stop? I think there were 57 people cross prior to Lindbergh. As I stated before--he conclusively proved American dominance in aviation over the French.

And if we are really talking Atlantic crossings it was the American NC-4 that was first.

Go America!!

Comment

Originally posted by IntheShade View Post
                  Yeah and why do you hate pilots so much PTBoat?

Did you also know that a dirgible also crossed non-stop?

And if we are really talking Atlantic crossings it was the American NC-4 that was first.

[b]Go America!!

You are f&^*#$%g un-believable, if you are a md captain like your friend that sent me the pm defending you said you are you must be a real gem to work with.

And learn how to spell millennium weather it be in plain or bold!
                  Last edited by Dmmoore; 2009-05-22, 16:07. Reason: Inappropriate language

Comment

[QUOTE=tommyalf;512894]Why do you have to hate on America so much! [/QUOTE

I don't. Now where have I ever written that I "hate" anyone. Obviously this is based on your feelings, not on any written or verbal proof.

I just let everyone know that the first non-stop crossing was not Lindburgh and NC-4 was not a non-stop flight.

Why do you guys keep trying to shove "America is number 1" down everyones throat? It is your disrespect for non-U.S.A members that is troubling.

Comment

[QUOTE=ptbodale;512909]
                      Why do you have to hate on America so much! [/QUOTE

I don't. Now where have I ever written that I "hate" anyone. Obviously this is based on your feelings, not on any written or verbal proof.

I just let everyone know that the first non-stop crossing was not Lindburgh and NC-4 was not a non-stop flight.

Why do you guys keep trying to shove "America is number 1" down everyones throat? It is your disrespect for non-U.S.A members that is troubling.
                      Ok it was a joke first off hence the wink....good god this board swings two ways...either totally serious or totally out of hand...people need a sense of humor.

As for America being number 1...it is number 1. I love Canada been all over the country and would go back in a heart beat but Canada is like a loft apartment over a really good party

The first non-stop trans-atlantic crossing took place in June 1919 when John Alcock and Arthur Brown flew a Vickers Vimy from St John's Newfoundland to Clifden Ireland. Seems the Brits were the first.
                      There's been debate in history whether to consider this the first TATL flight as they did not land on Continental Europe. Lindbergh was truly the first to fly Continent to Continent solo.

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA!
                      Last edited by tommyalf; 2009-05-22, 18:23.

Comment

There's been debate in history whether to consider this the first TATL flight as they did not land on Continental Europe. Lindbergh was truly the first to fly Continent to Continent solo.

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA!
                        Well Newfoundland is part of North America and Ireland is part of Europe.

You are changing the geography books now?

Comment

Well Newfoundland is part of North America and Ireland is part of Europe.

You are changing the geography books now?
                          Ireland is not part of the continental land mass of Europe, its part of Europe yes but not the land mass. Just like Hawaii is part of the U.S but not part of the land mass that makes up the continental U.S. So no I'm not changing geography books but apparently I know my geography better then you my Canuk friend, eh?

So yes Lindbergh displayed the U.S's dominance over both the U.K and France.

Oh and btw....all this thread was, was a mention that on this date in history Lindbergh flew across the Atlantic. No where did ITS say he was the first, but you come around and make your snarky comment about him being 8 years two late. Lindbergh's accomplishment for the time would be like someone today flying a private spacecraft to the moon.

God Bless the United States of America
                          Last edited by tommyalf; 2009-05-22, 20:21.

Comment

We aren't talking about Hawaii. Alcock and Brown won the money for being the 1st non-stop transatlantic flight and the 1st non-stop transatlantic flight was from Newfoundland to Ireland in June 1919. It's in the history books.

Comment

We aren't talking about Hawaii. Alcock and Brown won the money for being the 1st non-stop transatlantic flight and the 1st non-stop transatlantic flight was from Newfoundland to Ireland in June 1919. It's in the history books.
                              No not but Hawaii serves as a good example to educate you on the difference between the continental land masses and what an island is, eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X