EU blacklist/banned airlines question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU blacklist/banned airlines question

I am sorry if this question has been asked before but I have searched the forums and I can't seem to find it.

I understand that the EU maintains a list of blacklisted/banned airlines. Does the United States abide by that list, or is there some other type of list for North America?

I searched the FAA and the only thing I could find was a mention of 25 banned airlines, but I wasn't sure if they were speaking presently or previously, and also a list was not provided. I did a Google search and the only thing that came up with the EU list, updated April 2009.

Can anyone give me some information on banned airlines in the US and a link where they are listed?

Thanks.

I continued to research and still can't get an answer to my question. I think I may be looking in the wrong place?

Comment

I don't know a lot about the American system but this is the full list of those airlines banned in Europe.

Comment

That's pretty interesting.

Comment

I am going to assume that the US abides by that list as well. I don't know much about politics, but if the EU is under the UN umbrella, then the US would most certainly take the same position as I would assume several countries would have had to approve the list of banned airlines.

Comment

I checked with our Maintenance people and they believe Canada follows the EU. We checked Transport Canada's website and could not find a separate list.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale View Post
              I checked with our Maintenance people and they believe Canada follows the EU. We checked Transport Canada's website and could not find a separate list.

Thanks for taking the time to ask! That was nice of you.

I guess it would have to be the same here in the US, but it would be nice (just for public info) for a list to be posted somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabe_A&P_girl View Post
                I am going to assume that the US abides by that list as well. I don't know much about politics, but if the EU is under the UN umbrella, then the US would most certainly take the same position as I would assume several countries would have had to approve the list of banned airlines.
                Both E.A.S.A ( European Aviation Safety Agency) and the F.A.A are members of I.C.A.O (International Civil Aviation Organisation) which is a aviation only version of the U.N.

I.CA.O on its own has no legal backing but to join it you have to accept its rules into you're nations law. This body is nothing more then a club.

Canada may follow E.A.S.A but the U.S.A does not at all.

If any aircraft registered to a country or airline that is banned in the EU is seen on the tarmac at any EU airport correct protocol would be to destroy it. If aircraft registered in countries that are banned from entering the EU are found on the tarmac then this applies to them all no matter what size or use i.e airline, general aviation, business aviation.

Comment

Originally posted by G-TTIC View Post
                  ..If any aircraft registered to a country or airline that is banned in the EU is seen on the tarmac at any EU airport correct protocol would be to destroy it.
                  "....destroy it" ? Why would they do that ? Surely just impound it.

Comment

Very interesting, that list is new to me. Reminds me of the Spielberg film "Terminal". But the list is not overacting imho.
                    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Ariana Afghan

There is a reason that Ariana is banned, at least using their own aircraft(they use a leased
                      plane to fly to FRA). I saw one of their 722's climbing out of here today; those planes were is very rough shape in 2004, I can not imagine what they are like five years after I last flew on one.

Comment

Does anyone know the reason for this ban? Are there any technical reasons, or is it purely political?

I was slightly surprised to see the likes of TAAG Angola Airlines - not that I have ever flown it, which I haven't, but I'm pretty sure they've been around for a pretty long time, I would have thought they were able to maintain a minimum safety/comfort standard perhaps comparable to SAA or Air Namibia, both of which fly unrestrictedly to Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabe_A&P_girl View Post
                          Thanks for taking the time to ask! That was nice of you.

I guess it would have to be the same here in the US, but it would be nice (just for public info) for a list to be posted somewhere.
                          Originally posted by FAA IASA Program
                          International Aviation Safety Assessments (IASA) Program office"
                          Originally posted by FAA IASA Program
                          Updated: 12:20 pm ET June 8, 2009

The United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) established the IASA program through public policy in August of 1992. FAA's foreign assessment program focuses on a country's ability, not the individual air carrier, to adhere to international standards and recommended practices for aircraft operations and maintenance established by the United Nation's technical agency for aviation, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

FAA IASA Program link

This may help you.

Comment

Originally posted by ROM View Post
                            Does anyone know the reason for this ban? Are there any technical reasons, or is it purely political?
                            It's purely technical.

Originally posted by ROM View Post
                            I was slightly surprised to see the likes of TAAG Angola Airlines - not that I have ever flown it, which I haven't, but I'm pretty sure they've been around for a pretty long time, I would have thought they were able to maintain a minimum safety/comfort standard perhaps comparable to SAA or Air Namibia, both of which fly unrestrictedly to Europe.
                            TAAG is around as Angola's flag carrier since 1975, when Angola got independent from Portugal.

They were banned for safety reasons but they passed recently a IATA audit and will apply for the EU ban removal shortly.
                            TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Heathrow View Post

FAA IASA Program link

This may help you.
                              It does indeed. Thank you. Part of that states "As of February 18, 1998 the results of 87 completed CAA assessments have been publicly disclosed." They just don't name names.

I guess the only way to find out for sure if an airline is permitted to operate in the US is to check the DOT and see if they are licensed.

Comment

Working...
                              X