Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northwest merger: current routes?, fleet, ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwest merger: current routes?, fleet, ...

When I read about the DL/NW-merger it almost seems impossible to merge the two companies in the way they want to do it.
    They not only want to paint all 315 NW-jets in DL colours, which to be polite is completely unnecessary (and which seems to be quite a delaying job..). But imho it is also a matter of corporate identity. I would not find it attractive if KMSP was my home base and then there is a decision, my home airline at KMSP disappears and is replaced by another.

And they want to define a completely new route system? Or which NW-routes still exist?
    KMSP - EGLL?
    VABB - EGLL?
    KMSP - KIND?
    KIND - KLAS?
    KMSP - EHAM?
    KIND - KLAX?
    KLAX - RJAA?
    ...[to be continued]
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
    When I read about the DL/NW-merger it almost seems impossible to merge the two companies in the way they want to do it.
    Weird, considering they are making quite a lot of progress in doing just that.

They not only want to paint all 315 NW-jets in DL colours, which to be polite is completely unnecessary
    So what do you want Delta to do, keep on operating with two seperate identities?

(and which seems to be quite a delaying job..).
    Considering how fast they are repainting planes, how so?

I would not find it attractive if KMSP was my home base and then there is a decision, my home airline at KMSP disappears and is replaced by another.
    Well, tough sh!t, that is what happens during the merger, and has been happening during mergers for decades.

And they want to define a completely new route system? Or which NW-routes still exist?
    There is that website that I have heard of, nwa.com, I'm sure they have a route map on there...

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER View Post
      [...]
      Well, tough sh!t, that is what happens during the merger, and has been happening during mergers for decades.

There is that website that I have heard of, nwa.com, I'm sure they have a route map on there...
      Well you happy guy, KMSP is not my home base. So I could say, what Texans do is not important to me at all, and why should I care bout Minnesotians...
      But, impressed by that ! in sh!t, I do care. And thats why I'll try this damn route map.
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2009-07-18, 03:08. Reason: +try

Comment

..a good route map. Think this is recommended if you wanna explore Minnesota, Colorado, the Dakotas and Illinois (dep from EHAM maybe). Hope I can do one NW-flight before it's all DL.

Comment

Well you happy guy, KMSP is not my home base. So I could say, what Texans do is not important to me at all, and why should I care bout Minnesotians...
          But, impressed by that ! in sh!t, I do care. And thats why I'll try this damn route map.
          ..a good route map. Think this is recommended if you wanna explore Minnesota, Colorado, the Dakotas and Illinois (dep from EHAM maybe). Hope I can do one NW-flight before it's all DL.
          DAL767-400ER was a little harsh in his response, but for the most part I agree with his statements. So far the merger has been going very well, IMO, much better than AA-TWA or US-America West. Yes, painting all of the NW jets in DL colors is expensive and time-consuming, but DL needs to have one identity not two!

Unfortunately, during mergers some airline hubs get decommissioned and it hurts the people who live near those airports because they now have to take a connecting flight to a close-by airline hub. For instance, STL after AA-TWA mergeer. NW-DL aren't planning on closing any hubs right now and I think that the merger process is going pretty well. Given the proximity to KCVG, KMSP is a little worry, I think DL may reduce traffic out of there by 10-20%, but I don't think they're going to decommission that hub. In addition, Southwest is coming there, so if they do well maybe WN will add more routes and service on routes where DL leaves. They have been doing it in Denver, as United and Frontier cut services.

Delta has done a lot of changes to it's brand image and in the past year-18 months, I think the airline has made some marked improvements, overall I would say that domestically DL and CO are the best US mainline carriers. WN, F9, Virgin America, and B6 are separate from that statement.

You asked several times for route maps and FAQ's about the merger process:

FAQ's about the merger: http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/merger/index.jsp

The US route map: http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...dfs/US2_09.pdf

The links to several world-wide route maps.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
            Yes, painting all of the NW jets in DL colors is expensive and time-consuming, but DL needs to have one identity not two!
            Nah, Planes are painted as the come due for it. So the NW planes would be getting repainted anyways regardless of the merger. Now that the NW planes will be in DL colors. If one thinks about it. Money is being "saved" on the paint jobs. It will cost a LOT less money to paint a aircraft in DL colors than NW. White is the cheapest color paint out there. Might be why white is such a "popular" color by many airlines.

This would follow the same reasoning, when an airline is is trouble, they seem to change thier scheme. People bitch of the money they waste. But 99% of the time, the airline is changing the scheme to a cheaper one...
            -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
            -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

I've no idea what any of the above means.

Comment

DAL767-400ER was a little harsh in his response, but for the most part I agree with his statements. So far the merger has been going very well, IMO, much better than AA-TWA or US-America West. Yes, painting all of the NW jets in DL colors is expensive and time-consuming, but DL needs to have one identity not two! [...]
                No I don't think DAL767-400ER ("Weird, considering they are making quite a lot of progress..") is harsh, he is in Hamburg, lives in Hamburg (?), is a German guy? So maybe that is good German humour... always a little bit rough like the Northsea coast..
                Yes, maybe DL needs one worldwide identity, but would it have been bad if NW collects the ticket charges from NW customers, DL does the same for their customers and finally both NW and DL charges go to DL?
                And wouldn't it be nice if all Zurich people (Switzerland) had the familiar view when they go spotting to LSZH: Swiss machines for Swiss airports. And this is not theoretical, they in fact have Swiss machines at LSZH, although Swiss International is a 100% subsidiary of Lufthansa...
                So, the Minneapolis people could have the familiar view when they go spotting to KMSP: NW machines for NW airports... But this is theoretical.

Comment

Originally posted by P3_Super_Bee View Post
                  Nah, Planes are painted as the come due for it. So the NW planes would be getting repainted anyways regardless of the merger. Now that the NW planes will be in DL colors. If one thinks about it. Money is being "saved" on the paint jobs. It will cost a LOT less money to paint a aircraft in DL colors than NW. White is the cheapest color paint out there. Might be why white is such a "popular" color by many airlines.
                  [...]
                  That would be an evident reason to paint ALL jets white. And you save money because a white jet does not need as much air conditioning as this one (only a rumour?):
                  Morning arrival from Madrid as VO008.. EC-KHU. Airbus A340-312. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

That would be an evident reason to paint ALL jets white. And you save money because a white jet does not need as much air conditioning as this one (only a rumour?):
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...6618685&nseq=0
                    True.

Take a look, at the EP-3E. An electronics carrying nightmare. When P-3's went from the gray on the bottom scheme to tac gray scheme. Only 3 EP-3E's made the transition. It was figured the "darker" tac gray, would allow proper aircraft cooling. Same now that the P-3 has gone to an all gloss gray scheme, The EP will remain the gray on the bottom white on top.

Also with the photo example you shown. Odds are the whole aircraft is painted white prior to the blue. So basiclly it has twice the paint on the upper section, thus more weight than a plain ole white aircraft.
                    -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
                    -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

NW-DL aren't planning on closing any hubs right now and I think that the merger process is going pretty well. Given the proximity to KCVG, KMSP is a little worry, I think DL may reduce traffic out of there by 10-20%, but I don't think they're going to decommission that hub.
                      Actually, CVG is all but dead, but not because of proximity to MSP, but because another hub is much closer.

Comment

Yes, maybe DL needs one worldwide identity, but would it have been bad if NW collects the ticket charges from NW customers, DL does the same for their customers and finally both NW and DL charges go to DL?
                        Yes, it would have been bad.

Comment

American Airlines and TWA

Well the same thing happened when American Airlines merged with TWA. American Airlines Repainted all there aircraft and set bases in TWA's Hubs like St.Luis

Comment

Working...
                          X