Delta's 767-400ER International Configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta's 767-400ER International Configuration

I'm wondering why Delta Airlines is converting all of their 767-400s into an international configuration when they are storing 767-300s in the desert. And on to of that, Delta now has all of NWA's widebodies at their disposal. Is there less need for large domestic planes? Will the internationally configured 767-400s still be used on Hawaiian routes?
    Will C.

The 764s are gone off the Hawaiian routes, the 763s are being put into the desert because they are old and domestic demand is down, and the 764s were put into international markets because that's where they could make more money for Delta.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. So the 767s in the desert are non-ERs, right?

P.S. DAL767-400ER, do you still have that blog? It was quite interesting to read.

Thanks,
      Will C.

Comment

Originally posted by Will_Power View Post
        Okay, that makes sense. So the 767s in the desert are non-ERs, right?
        Correct, though after the summer season they might be joined by some of the older 763ERs as well.

P.S. DAL767-400ER, do you still have that blog? It was quite interesting to read.
        Yeah, still have it, but haven't posted anything new in half a year, lack of motivation.

Comment

I'm wondering why Delta Airlines is converting all of their 767-400s into an international configuration when they are storing 767-300s in the desert. And on to of that, Delta now has all of NWA's widebodies at their disposal. Is there less need for large domestic planes? Will the internationally configured 767-400s still be used on Hawaiian routes?
          Apart from the confirmation of the fact that the 764s will be moved off of the Hawaiian routes, I can add that the 764s have been very usefull to DL in the past, when the 777s were heavily used for the ULH routes. You raised an interesting point that NW's widebodies have added greater capacity to the DL fleet, but do not forget that DL has expressed that they wish not to dismiss the needs of NW's prior networks. In other word, the NW aircraft are still needed on the NW routes. I think that with the addition of more A330s we might see the 764s being shifted a bit more to other routes, but for the most part - the 764s will still remain in niches where the 777s and the A330s would be overkill. I think that some 763s are being parked, and may not ever come back online, b/c even if domestic capacity picks up once more, DL still has two rather large domestic fleets (in DL's old fleet and now NW's acquired fleet) to consolidate. I would expect to see the 763s find good homes with other carriers. What would be surprising is if DL does not place an order (not in the near future, but soon) for more A330s. They are a great aircraft for the time between 787 avialibility (if DL decides not to quit the program outright,and cancel or transfer the current 787 order between now and then).
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
          X