Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for the 737-600 to get a 2+3 seat arrangement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible for the 737-600 to get a 2+3 seat arrangement?

Well the title says it all.

Well, yes of course its possible.

The question would be why? Passengers tend to want cheap airfares, so by taking seats out of the plane each seat needs to make you more money to be profitable, so each ticket price would need to be sold for more than in a 3+3 arrangement.

Yes some passengers prefer more room, and they tend to pay more to get a premium cabin.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

The 736 is way to heavy for a regional jet. So I thought why not try different scenario's to make the plane lighter, with the 2+3 arrangement being one of them and shortening the wing.

Comment

Originally posted by Surijet737 View Post
        The 736 is way to heavy for a regional jet. So I thought why not try different scenario's to make the plane lighter, with the 2+3 arrangement being one of them and shortening the wing.
        You are not going to solve this 'problem' by removing some seats. The 600 fits a niche in that it provides an airline that probably already operates 737's on busier routes an airframe with less capacity, but is looking for fleet commonality. That way a carrier doesn't need the expense of operating two different types (savings with spares, training, maintenance, flexibility of scheduling).

Given that Boeing has only sold 68 of them in the past 10 years, I'd say that most airlines aren't that fussed by them either - probably just scheduling 700's and 800's on those routes.

It would be difficult to place the 600 into the category of regional jet anyway. 123 seats is larger than nearly all RJ's, and a 3,050nm range isn't that restrictive.
        Any modification to the wing would involve prohibitive expense and wouldn't deliver an airplane that would be competitive with the Embraers and other new deliveries in this sector on a cost per seat km basis. It would be a bit like taking a large car with a big six cylinder engine, fitting a smaller 4 cylinder engine, and then trying to sell the big car as an economy car. In short, it ain't going to work.

Comment

Peculiar question:

Just go by a used 717 if that's what you want to do. It's 2 x 3 and great for short hops. If you want something with some legs, get a MD-90. Shortening the wing in a 737NG is not an option.

As for the seats, as several have said, sure. Seat tracks are down. Modify one side by dropping one of the three. I believe the over-wing exists are 2 seat so you could do that down one whole side, unless you want to replace them all with wider seats. Then again, why would you want to so that as the weight savings may be negated.

Comment

It does seem a peculiar question regarding the 737, but some aircraft can have variable 'abreast' seating arrangements. I'm thinking particularly of the BAe 146/RJ which, while usually 3x3, is occasionally 2x3 with a few carriers. Of course, some wide body types can also vary the abreast arrangement, eg. the 777 which can be 9-abreast or 10-abreast in economy.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
              It does seem a peculiar question regarding the 737, but some aircraft can have variable 'abreast' seating arrangements. I'm thinking particularly of the BAe 146/RJ which, while usually 3x3, is occasionally 2x3 with a few carriers.
              I don't think the airplane with five APUs is a very good example of anything, what with being on its way to extinction.

Comment

Originally posted by Surijet737 View Post
                Why not just buy a smaller airplane with shorter wings?

Comment

I've been on a RJ100 twice... once too often. Just had to fly to EDDT while it was still open. But the 6-abreast on an Avro is much worse than on a 737. and, beware of bumping your head on the wing spar...

5 APU's? Make that ONE APU and four vacuum cleaners...

ToM

Comment

That would be an A343.

Comment

Working...
                    X