Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forget crash-padding, live in the parking lot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget crash-padding, live in the parking lot...

It's a sign of the times. In this tough economy, the airline industry is among the hardest hit and now some of its employees are finding a new way to save -- they’re living at the airport. Parking Lot B at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) has become the newest symbol of America's shaky airline economy. That’s where you’ll find people living in trailers and motor homes.

They aren't unemployed though. They're pilots, mechanics and flight attendants who choose to live at the airport where they can walk to work instead of commuting from far away cities or sharing an apartment with multiple roommates. "It is not that nice living in a parking lot. You get the smell of burnt rubber when the wind blows, it is always noisy and it is hot," said airline mechanic Steve Krebs.

Sue Young, the wife of an airline mechanic, said she and her husband are lucky because LAX is the only major airport to offer this option to airline employees -- a gated community, 24/7 police patrols and a shuttle that picks you up at any hour of the day -- all for just $60 a month.

http://www.myfoxeugene.com/dpp/news/...222009_2697075
    Ok, now I am all for saving money in this economy, but this is really 'creative'. Anyone in the LAX area - can we get some pics of the parking lot? Also, I can only imagine that some spotters would love the idea. I can see the t-shirts now "Only real spotters can handle this..."
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

And one hell of a spotting location!! I will investigate this further...$60 a month for living on airport property...seems too good to be true. If true then a spotting tailgate party is in order! I'll bring the drinks

Comment

More airports should have an RV park option for employees, especially if they are not easily accessible by public transportation (i.e. Washington Dulles)

In addition airline/airport employees should be encouraged to live close to the airport and/or get discounts or full price off of public transportation to work

Apartment builders could build inexpensive, small "efficiency" apartment units near airports for employees who want cheaper housing. (The units should be next to airport hotels)

For airports with unused terminal space, i.e. Pittsburgh, they could temporarily convert the space into housing for airport employees until demand for more gates appears.

Comment

I read the article about this in the LA Times and I was astonished. What a way to be near to work and pay only a small amount to have your rv there. Below are links to the article by the LA Times and a Audio Slide Show by people living there in their own words, it's interesting.

LA TIMES Article
        http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,4549617.story

LA TIMES Audio Slide Show of Article
        (Voices from an Alaska Airlines Pilot, LAX Aircraft Mechanic, and a SmartCart worker)
        http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...2810.htmlstory
        what ever happens......happens

Comment

it makes great sense to me. I often thought about the idea of getting an RV and living in the back lot of the company I work for. I would get better sleep (more time), close to the place I need to be if I need to be called in last minute (very common), and It would be cheap (read: free).
          Coyote

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
            Ok, now I am all for saving money in this economy, but this is really 'creative'. Anyone in the LAX area - can we get some pics of the parking lot? Also, I can only imagine that some spotters would love the idea. I can see the t-shirts now "Only real spotters can handle this..."
            Its not really about "saving money" in a sense that you want some left over. Its saving money in a sense that I know if my company opened a base in LAX I sure as hell couldn't afford to live there. So I'd live somewhere else and commute in.

Comment

Interesting story, but I think this is an oddity and not an emerging trend.

Yes, RV's can be pretty ok, and could conceivably compare very well with a "crash-pad-commune"

But this situation is a bit strange. The cheapest RV parks (from the camping worlds) are over 10 bucks/day (so $300/month). So $60/month (in a gated, secured community no less) equals some big-time subsidy from somewhere (or lost profits on land that could support $10/day car parking) or whatever/etc/etc/etc. These peoople are enjoying some sort of "gift".

I don't forsee a whole lot of these $60/month RV parks "popping up at airports everywhere"
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
              X