Shortest Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortest Flight

I actually saw this post on Anet, and thought it was good to put here as well. What is the shortest flight you've been on (under 30 minutes), that is a regularly scheduled flight, and how long was it? (A/C too!)

I was on a flight ACY->PHL on a Saab 340-, which was only 15 minutes from start to finish! Sadly, since passengers had to get to the airport 2 hours early, and it was such a short flight, people decided to pay $6 for a train ride from Atlantic City to Philadelphia, which only takes about an hour and 45 minutes.
    www.acairport.com

I've been on a 50 minute flight, sorry it's not a 30 minute one. It was LIT-MEM and MEM-LIT on a DC9 on Northwest.
    Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
    ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Shortest Flight

The shortest flight I've been on was ATL-MGM abort a DL MD-88. The flight time( from leaving the runway in ATL until taxiing into the stand in MGM) was a mere 37 minutes, but thanks to traffic it took about another 37 minutes from docking off until reaching the runway

Comment

Shortest flights

Scheduled
        -Douala-Yaoundé, 126 nautical miles, average time 25 minutes with
        Air Afrique Caravelle 11R,
        then Cameroon Airlines, Boeing 737-200 from 1971 ownwards
        -Nice-Marseille102 nautical miles, averaging 25 minutes in the air.
        one time with an Air France 727-200 arriving from Algiers
        one time with a Royal Air Maroc 707-351B flying further to Casablanca
        one time with a Royal Air Maroc 727-200 also flying further to CMN.
        one time with a MEA 707-347C, contracted by AF and flying further to FCO
        one time with a Spantax CV990, also contracted by AF to cover an uptenth strike and arriving from ATH.
        Aubenas-Lyons, Air Ardèche Piper PA.31 Navajo, 14 minutes block to block
        Lyons-Avignon, Air Jet, Fokker F.27, 25 minutes in the air.
        Los Angeles-San Diego, American Airlines DC.10-10 N122AA, my first ever ride on a Ten, 22 minutes, return two days later with 707-123B N7515A
        Baltimore-Philadelphialess than 20 minutes airborne,
        all with US Air Express, first with a Shorts.330, later with a Jetstream 31
        to date they are my only rides on board both types !
        Regards
        Alain[/u]
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

I have been on a Taiwan domestic flight many years ago.
          Taipei to Hualian, an eastern city on the island.
          It was a 732, and it lasted only 25 minutes.

Comment

BWI-PHL
            Once on a USE DHC-8 (30 min)
            And once on a mainline 752. (15 min)

Comment

I have not been on too many short flights, but I guess GSO-CLT is my shortest. It was about 25 minutes airtime on a 737 and 35 on a DH8.

Comment

The shortest I've taken is:
                Nuquí - Quibdó, 17 mins in DHC6-300 Twin Otter of deceased Aces.

I've also taken strict 30 min flight:
                Medellín - Bogotá, 30 mins on A320-200 of deceased Aces and DC-9-30 of AeroRepública.

Comment

Prior to 11Sep01, Continental Express had regularly scheduled flights from IAH to Houston Hobby. This flight as flown in an EMB-120 or Beech 1900 could be done in as little as eight minutes. Towards the end, Co had actually put a 737 on that route. (CO has a maintenance facility at Hobby.) Now the shortest regularly scheduled flt. is IAH to EFD, about eleven minutes. A newbie FA barely has enough time to get through the required announcements.

Comment

I've mad the CLL-IAH run in 15 minutes at 3000 ft direct (even on an ATR-42)! Still, I think the intracity EFD-IAH leg has got to take the cake!
                    Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Re: Shortest Flight

Originally posted by matt1168
                      What is the shortest flight you've been on (under 30 minutes), that is a regularly scheduled flight, and how long was it? (A/C too!)
                      I used to regularly fly Dubai (DXB/OMDB) - Sharjah (SHJ/OMSJ), distance between the two is 9.5nm & avg time was approx 20 mins (it would've been quicker if the departure / arrival had 'dove-tailed') in a DC-10-30.

Also used to fly Amsterdam (AMS/EHAM) - Brussels (BRU/EBBR) (same type) which normally took approx 20 mins.

Anyone flown Westray - Papa Westray? Scheduled at 2mins & completed in less than a minute if wind conditions are favourable.

Cheers
                      Richard
                      View my photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Westray-Papa Westray is no longer a year round schedule (shame) but is still the world's shortest, scheduled passenger flight.

Next is Aer Arran's Minna (west of Galway) to Innishmore, the largest of the Arran Islands. This is scheduled as 6 minutes out and, with the prevailing winds from the Atalntic, 4 minutes back. The service runs to a regular timetable and, on busy summer days, is almost a shuttle with back ups available. The runway on Innishmore is also one of the shortest used for scheduled passenger flights at 2,000ft. I have done the trip and the whole operation is slick and impressive.

One now defunct trip I did was on GB Airways from Tangiers to Gibralter and return. Operated by Viscount the northbound was a scheduled 13 minutes with 14 minutes on the return - both times beaten by a good 3 minutes the day I did the trip. The 70 passenger seats were full both ways and, in addition, the hat racks contained hens in cages and a tethered goat and sheep sat in the aisle on the northbound run!
                        PhilB

Comment

Beirut-Damascus JAT 727-200 20 Mins. Scheduled.
                          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Many moons ago Air Atonabee (Peterborough Ontario based) had a flight YPQ-YTZ (Toronto Island)-YYZ-YPQ. Block to block on YTZ-YYZ was 15 minutes. Flying time was something like 5 minutes. The route didn't last long as the stop at YYZ was eliminated.

Comment

shortest flights part 2

Re-reading my records enables me to share more short-hops
                              some registrations I remember as if I was beside the aircraft yesterday.
                              Many are found memories since they provided for the only ride I managed to get on board quite a few underlined types.
                              Scheduled services
                              Limoges-Agen 1985, Air Limousin & Travail Aériens (ALTA)
                              Nord 262, F-BVFJ, 25 minutes,
                              Gatwick-Beauvais, 1985, British Airtours, Boeing 737-236, G-BKYE.
                              25 minutes.
                              Southend-Ostend,
                              1985, 15 minutes, BAF Dart Herald, G-BCWE
                              Caracas-Porlamar and back
                              1988, 40 minutes with Avensa Convair 580 YV86C,
                              back same evening with stablemate 727-100 YV91C, in 21 minutes.
                              Rio de Janeiro-GIG-Belo Horizonte Confins and back, 35 minutes, 1988
                              outward flight with Transbrazil 737-300 PT-TEG, return with Vasp 733 PP-SOP
                              Heathrow-Birmingham 1989, 18 minutes, British Midland, DC.9-15,
                              G-BMAC, 12 passengers on board, supposed to take over an ATP due to heavy loads fueled by BHX trade fair !!!
                              Beauvais-Lydd and back, 1990, average 30 minutes all included, was the only one passenger on return leg so left the cabin empty and took the opportunity to jump-seat.
                              courtesy of short lived British Independant Airways, HS.748.G-BEKG.
                              Cancun-Cozumel, 1993,
                              AeroCaribe FH.227A XA-..., 12 minutes, return with a shortbody F.27A XA-RLM, 17 minutes standing between the two pilots from boarding to deplaning
                              Las Palmas-Tenerife Los Rodeos and back, average time 31 minutesoutbound with a Binter Canarias CN235, return with an ATR72.
                              Frankfurt-Dusseldorf, 2001, Lufthansa, A.320 D-AIPE, 25 minutes airborne
                              Non scheduled and joyrides
                              1984- Zaventem - 30 minutes - TEA - 707-131 - OO-TED, last official flight of Echo-Delta.
                              1991- Oshkosh - 12 minutes - EAA in Eastern C/s 1 Ford Trimotor NC8407
                              1992- Myashikovo - 15 mntes Aeroflot - Antonov AN2 CCCP92615
                              1994- LeBourget-Roissy, 8 minutes , Air Jet, Bae 146-200, F-GLNI.
                              1996- Ostend - 25 minutes - Air Dakota/Publi Air - C.53 N49AG painted in OT-BWG Belgian Air Force VIP period colors.
                              2001 - Miami Watson - 30 minutes - Chalks Ocean - Grumann Turbo Mallard - N130FB
                              2002 - Calgary - 21 minutes - Air Canada - Lockheed 10A - CF-TCC.
                              Thanks for visiting
                              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                              *JetPhotos*
                              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                              X