United to retire it's final B737

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United to retire it's final B737

United Airlines will retire its final 737, a -300 on Oct. 28.

It has operated 737s for more than 41 years, having placed the launch order for the 737-200 version in April 1965. The aircraft has been numbered UA737 for its final journey, which begins at Washington Dulles with stops at Chicago O'Hare, Denver and Los Angeles, then on to San Francisco where it will be decommissioned at UA's maintenance base before being transported to Victorville for storage.

(Source: Air Transport World)

That's sad

I have flown many segments with UA's 737s, and I am very sad to see them go!

I wish I could fly with them one more time before they retire, but I probably won't because of school!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyspreetsingh View Post
      That's sad

I have flown many segments with UA's 737s, and I am very sad to see them go!

I wish I could fly with them one more time before they retire, but I probably won't because of school!
      Lots to pick from here in West Central Canada. Canadian North and First Air both operate the classic 200's on it's passenger and combi flights. Most came from PWA, Canadian and CP Air. Gotta love the roar of the old PW JT9d's.....
      Who's on first?..........

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale View Post
        United Airlines will retire its final 737, a -300 on Oct. 28.

It has operated 737s for more than 41 years, having placed the launch order for the 737-200 version in April 1965. The aircraft has been numbered UA737 for its final journey, which begins at Washington Dulles with stops at Chicago O'Hare, Denver and Los Angeles, then on to San Francisco where it will be decommissioned at UA's maintenance base before being transported to Victorville for storage.

(Source: Air Transport World)
        Like most of that class, they will languish in the blistering heat until thier turn comes for the crusher.
        Who's on first?..........

Comment

End of an era. I flew 5 times on UA 737s (all -322s)

ORD-LAX in July 1991, then a LAX-SMF-LAX turn in November 1994 and a LAX-SFO-LAX in November 1996 (all except the ORD-LAX were on the old Shuttle by United, and the LAX-SFO-LAX were my last flights ever on UA).

Comment

In a related note, United furloughed another 290 pilots this week. The total is now close to 1100 pilots. That takes them back to 1999 hire dates, which is to say every pilot with less than 10 years of seniority is gone......It's a helluva an industry we have....
            Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

That B737 that United dropped in Colorado Springs, was it a -200 or -300? I can't recall. I think it was a 300.

I used to fly these United B737-200/300 qutie a bit...well the United Shuttle. Now they have EMB170 which I like.

Are most U.S. airlines outsourcing some of the fleet maintenance?

Comment

Originally posted by Apooh View Post
                That B737 that United dropped in Colorado Springs, was it a -200 or -300? I can't recall. I think it was a 300.
                It was a -200.

Comment

United's 737-300/-500 airplanes all show fewer that 40,000 flight cycles -- middle aged for 737s. They potentially have a future as second hand replacements for retiring 737-200s, DC-9s, MD-80s, etc. Keep your eyes on a third world fleet near you.

Comment

When did production of the DC9 stop? I see those Northwest DC9s and they look pretty old to me.

Comment

DC-9 production ended back in the Pleistocene Era, which explains their aged appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal View Post
                        DC-9 production ended back in the Pleistocene Era....
                        Are they unusually prone to icing ?

Comment

Anyway, the last DC-9s came off the line 1981/82, but these were stragglers - the bulk production was between 1965 and 1978.

Comment

NW has DC 9s that are upwards of 40 years old.

Comment

It's sad to see that the Boeing 737-300/500 series a stalwart of United's domestic fleet is going to be gone soon. I had a few flights on a couple of United Boeing 737-300s and while I will miss the plane, in a way I'm kind of happy that United is finally moving on and modernizing their fleet. The UA A319/320 are nice aircraft. United's Glenn Tilton says his company will have a new aircraft order by the end of the year, it will be interesting to see if they order any new planes to replace the retired Boeing 737 fleet.

Rohan

Comment

Working...
                              X