Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spotting in DXB

Hi everybody!
    I will fly to Dubai in Dezember. Was anyone spotting in Dubai? I have heard that the police can make trouble, but there are many photos from DXB in the database! Which positions are good for takeoffs and landings?

Thank you!

Hi Dennis,

I certainly wouldn't try spotting at the airport. There is an area SE of the airport called Mirdif; a friend of mine had an apartment there, but unfortunately he has now moved. However, you could walk around this area and aircraft will fly right over your head and you could take shots. My experience is that in this area, there are very few police around.

Here's the Mirdif area on Google maps:

This shot was taken from the 3rd floor of an apartment block, but you can still get some fairly decent shots of aircraft from the ground; aircraft will be at about 150'-200' as they come over.

B-HUQ. Boeing 747-467F(SCD). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I'm going over there next month and will try my luck and see how I get on; I won't have the luxury of my friend's apartment, so I'll search for some decent places.

Apparently there are some hotels - like the Deira Sheraton - with good views.

Comment

Thank you very much for this info!
      I´m very agog of your experience, please post your infos, that would me help!

Comment

The Deira Sheraton is a fantastic hotel. Good for landing and departing photos however it is a fair distance from the airport and may not be ideal for spotting as some numbers may be missed. The problem i found during my stay recently is that its hard to predict movements because they land over the hotel in the mornings sometimes and other times they dont. Takeoff photos are not easy unless you have a powerful zoom lense. If you do go there be advised not to get to close to the roof edge because the locals apparently have been known to send the police upto the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by akerosid View Post
          I'm going over there next month and will try my luck and see how I get on; I won't have the luxury of my friend's apartment, so I'll search for some decent places. ...
          Maybe you can get up to the roof of his old apartment - or another one in that area. Or there might be a window at the end of a hallway or something.

Dick
          http://dickh.zenfolio.com

Comment

It all depends. Are you shooting with a Cannon or a Canon?

IMO, if you are in a place where the police "can make trouble" just because you want to take a pic of an airplane, then it's probably a good idea not take a picture at all. Instead, use Photoshop...or, better still, buy a ticket to LAX. Here you can take all the pics you want while eating a hamburger (at In-n-Out, located at RWY 24R approach). I think there are skidmarks on the roof, it's that close to the runway. And who knows, you might even catch Paris Hilton standing in the background.

Just remember, the cops here can still make trouble though, but at least it won't be for taking a friggin' picture...unless, of course, Paris Hilton is in it. Then you will have to deal with her lawyer and U.S. law for copyright infringement.

On second thought, rather I'd take my chances clicking away in Dubai.

Have fun shooting.

Comment

Working...
            X