X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official, Continental now with Star Alliance

Continental Formally Joins Star Alliance

Oct 27, 2009

Continental today formally joined Star Alliance at a ceremony held at the carrier’s hangar at Newark Airport.

The event marks the end of an 16-month transition from Skyteam, and the latest step in Star’s planned joint venture among Air Canada, Lufthansa, United and Continental.

“Bringing Continental Airlines into Star Alliance has been a truly unique experience. This is the first time an airline has moved directly from one alliance to another and I would like to thank all those involved in ensuring a smooth switch,” said the alliance’s CEO Jaan Albrecht.

“Our travelers can now begin to appreciate the advantages Continental brings to the Star Alliance network, while Continental’s customers now enjoy enhanced alliance benefits.”

Added Continental Chairman and CEO Larry Kellner, “Continental’s transition to Star Alliance is one of the most important strategic moves we have accomplished in my career at Continental.

“Our membership in Star Alliance positions us to deliver a broader network to our customers, and to achieve better business results and a stronger future for my coworkers, our customers and communities as a result of the benefits from participating in the world’s largest airline alliance.”

Continental is the 25th carrier to join Star. The alliance is expected to formally add Brussels Airlines in early December.

Photo: Darren Shannon

A Continental Airlines Inc. Star Alliance branded plane sits on display during an event welcoming Continental to the Alliance in Newark, New Jersey, U.S., on Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2009. Continental...

Personally, out of all three alliances, Star has the worst livery. 1) SkyTeam and 2) OneWorld.

what ever happens......happens

Perhaps Lufthansa and BMI might encourage Continetal to pick up the regional services to the UK that BMI ditched. I am sure this would be welcomed by many people in the UK who do not live near London.

Manchester to Chicago perhaps and even Dulles are surely viable routes for an airline that is preapred to operate a consistant service and provide adequate marketing support.

Comment

They may try but i dont see it as likely to happen given the current climate. As traffic figures start to increase again they may well restart the Manchester to Chicago route but that would be in direct competition with AAL. Its clear that this doesnt always work also as Air Canada took over from Bmi on the Toronto route a few seasons back and that service lasted only a short while if i remember correctly. Out of interest does anyone know which Continental 752 is in the star colours.

Comment

I can't see any reason for Continental to do long-haul international flights from non-hub airports in the US such as Chicago or Dulles, whatever their new alliance loyalities. Continental have been notably successful in opening up new links to regional cities in the UK and Europe, but all these are from their hubs, eg. Newark, Houston, Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
          I can't see any reason for Continental to do long-haul international flights from non-hub airports in the US such as Chicago or Dulles, whatever their new alliance loyalities. Continental have been notably successful in opening up new links to regional cities in the UK and Europe, but all these are from their hubs, eg. Newark, Houston, Cleveland.
          Good point.

Comment

Working...
          X