Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA CHEAP FLYING like ryanair

Hi,

This thread/topic is for our USA readers!!

Maybe I will plan a trip to the USA next year 2010,
    ( Florida-Washington-NYC-Niagara),
    And because I love flying I want to create a nice but cheap flightplan
    around these area's.
    so I want to know which airlines are cheap to fly!!
    In europe we have Ryanair-Easyjet-.., Asia has Airasia what's up
    for the USA ?? ( heard already of Southwest, Ryanairs mother )
    Also which are nice companies to fly with regarding types of aircraft they use for certain routes. ( our Airbusses and the 737-757-767-.. are fine but nothing special anymore )
    Any suggestions??

Thx
    CX-B

Originally posted by cathay belgium View Post
    Hi,

This thread/topic is for our USA readers!!

Maybe I will plan a trip to the USA next year 2010,
    ( Florida-Washington-NYC-Niagara),
    And because I love flying I want to create a nice but cheap flightplan
    around these area's.
    so I want to know which airlines are cheap to fly!!
    In europe we have Ryanair-Easyjet-.., Asia has Airasia what's up
    for the USA ?? ( heard already of Southwest, Ryanairs mother )
    Also which are nice companies to fly with regarding types of aircraft they use for certain routes. ( our Airbusses and the 737-757-767-.. are fine but nothing special anymore )
    Any suggestions??

Thx
    CX-B
    If you fly a USA carrier accross the Atlantic you can sometimes get connections around the US for quite low prices. You can sometimes also arrive at one airport and leave from another for your trans-Atlantic leg.

I always start checking months ahead - Southwest is not always the low cost carrier.

Comment

AirTran will probably be a good low cost choice based on these destinations. You will get some 717's nice variety.

Comment

When it comes to travelling to Florida (namely South Eastern Florida) the lowest fares come from Spirit Airways. To be honest, they offer insanely low sticker fares (on one leg of the journey) but it is often conditional upon you buying a second leg that is often high enough to cover the losses incurred by the first lower priced leg. Sometimes they do offer decent/low fares, but most of the times it is only as a result of competition with other carriers.

Something else - using a lesser known airport (as Ryanair has done in Europe in many examples), is not something that has caught on well here in the U.S. with LCCs. A few examples of airlines that have are Southwest and Allegiant (see below). Sometimes they offer lower fares via those airports, but it can be hard to get there from major metropolitan cities.

Another point - Ft.Lauderdale (FLL) and Orlando International (MCO) get massive amounts of service from LCCs. While the fares are nowhere near some of Ryanair's super-low fares, stiff competition equates to some of the lowest fares in the nation (that can still support a marginal profit). Case in point, flying Washington-FLL we have at least 7 carriers and so ticket prices are usually low if you shop around and plan your trip.

One more thing - there are 'hidden' carriers that people really do not consider (becuase they are not major carriers) but still offer great prices. Cases in point:

- http://www.suncountry.com/SCA/index.jsf
        - http://www.allegiantair.com/

Also, head to bing.com and use their travel guide. A great tool and it works splendidly. You can see when and where to purchase, and how and why a fare may work well for you. Take a look when you get the chance.
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

You might want to know why they are so cheap in the first place, and in the case of Ryanair, it is because they are cheapskates. Here is an excerpt today from a MarketWatch story on how RyanAir is putting the screws to Boeing:

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- In a rare glimpse into the backroom dealings between airlines and aircraft manufacturers, Ireland's Ryanair Holdings threatened Monday to sever its relationship with Boeing Co. unless it gets a better price on future jet orders.

"We won't continue these discussions indefinitely and have signaled to Boeing that if they are not completed before the year end, then Ryanair will end its relationship with Boeing and confirm a series of order deferrals and cancellations," said Ryanair Chief Executive Michael O'Leary.
          Full article is here: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wit...-02?link=kiosk

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            You might want to know why they are so cheap in the first place, and in the case of Ryanair, it is because they are cheapskates. Here is an excerpt today from a MarketWatch story on how RyanAir is putting the screws to Boeing:

Full article is here: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wit...-02?link=kiosk
            and don't forget Ryanair's exorbitant charges for everything!

Flying domestically in the US is relatively cheap no matter, which airline you pick. Sometimes, even the big airlines can have very good fares, sometimes even cheaper than Southwest, but watch out for bag fees! Southwest is probably the best choice, relatively good service at a good price and no bag fees! The cheapest option may be Spirit Airlines as AA1818 said or AirTran.

Hope you have a good vacation in the US,

Rohan

Comment

Working...
            X