No announcement yet.

Requesting Airport/Flight Recommendations for trip Europe->Florida->California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting Airport/Flight Recommendations for trip Europe->Florida->California

Hi Folks,

coming from Germany, my wife and I plan to spend our next spring/summer (May/June) vacation in the States (again). First stop will be Miami area and the keys, later on we will most likely take a flight to SoCal to visit some friends living right between LA and San Diego before going home again (most likely via LAX).
    Due to time overhead spent on immigration procedures, we won't stopover in the States on the incoming flight. So our current options are flying either DLH or CFG (nonstop from FRA), or go with BA/AFR via LHR/CDG. All of those arrive either at MCO or FLL/MIA. (yes I know its ~250 mls from MCO to MIA)

Question 1)
    Are there alternatives e.g. an American carrier going NONSTOP from Europe to Florida?
    Question 2)
    Any recommendations on the arrival airport?

After one week or so in Florida, we want to take a flight to SoCal. I believe that means MIA, FLL, MCO and TPA airports to depart and LAX, SNA, BUR or SAN to arrive. I'd prefer nonstop, but accept one stopover if there are benefits outweighing the lost time.

Question 3)
    Any preferrence on airports or (domestic)flights? Any experience? I know LAX, but that's about it.

Thanks for any help

Torsten

Someone else may have a better solution for you, but mine is to just keep it simple...

DLH/FRA-MIA...AA/MIA-LAX(multiple nonstops)...DLH/LAX-FRA

Of course if you want to keep it all in the same airline alliance...

BA or AA/LHR-MIA...AA/MIA-LAX...BA or AA/LAX-LHR...plus whatever connections you choose between LHR and Germany.

Sure you could use other airports, but why fly all that way to the states just to have to hop in a car and drive for another couple of hours to and from your actual destination, especially if you follow my second option above...the jet lag alone might kill you. Plus, if you already know how to get around LAX, then go with what you know. Whatever you choose, make sure it doesn't diminish your enjoyment of the vacation overall.

Comment

MCO will offer quite a variety of options on the non-stop flights from Europe (considering that the airlines here are all tapping into the same Disney market).
      BA ; LGW-MCO.
      VS ; MAN - MCO, and LGW - MCO.
      LH ; FRA - MCO.
      MP ; AMS - MCO * (I am no too sure how long this will continue as MP transfers services to KLM and the like).

One drawback lies in that only 3 carriers that serve the MCO-West Coast market.
      AA ; MCO - LAX,
      UA ; MCO - LAX,
      DL ; MCO - LAX,

Something further - you can do some research on SFB (which is another airport serving the Orlando area that gets a few charter carriers from Europe as well as some weekly services). However, connecting out of SFB is nearly impossible, and the facilities (from what I have seen, are not comparable to MCO).

There are further, significant drawbacks to entering via Orlando in that the destinations that you wish to see in South Florida are at least 3-4 hours away driving (keep in mind that the keys are also another 2 to 3 hours south past this, i.e. a drive from Orlando - Key West will likely be 7+ hours). It may not seem like a while, but in reality it is a far push. The drive is easy:
      - take the Florida Turnpike south to Miami.
      - on you way, you will be passing West Palm Beach, and Fort Lauderdale (so it is not difficult to make you stop here in the event that you wished to do some sightseeing).
      -when you arrive to Miami, you might want to rest before continuing to the Keys. The drive, while quite picturesque is a long one.

MIA is you better bet, as it will offer a much larger range of carriers on the Europe - MIA routes.
      AA; LHR, MAD, CDG - MIA.
      AB; DUS - MIA.
      UX and IB; MAD - MIA.
      AF; CDG - MIA.
      AZ; FCO - MIA.
      LH; FRA - MIA.
      LX; ZRH - MIA.
      BA and VS; LHR - MIA.

MIA - LAX is only served by AA as a non-stop flight.

One positive of using MIA is that the rest of South Florida is closer to you. Ft. Laudedale is within (at its northern most parts) 40 minutes driving, with Key West being no more than 3 hours away.

Now here's a kicker:

FLL (as of 14/05/2010) will be served via DE on the FRA - FLL route.

FLL offers perhaps the greatest non-stop connections to LAX (in South Florida) in that DL, B6 and VX offer flights. Check VX's website as they have been announcing sales recently in the area to promote the route.

With FLL and MIA being as close as they are, you can arrive via MIA and do domestic traveling via FLL (to get more attractive fares).

So, you have quite a few options. I hope that it helps. Please feel free to contact me if you need more info. or clarification on something from above.
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Thank you for your kind replies.

As we also want to see a little bit of Florida (by car), MCO would not be such a hassle. We would just book into a motel not too far away (~1h drive) for the night and continue southbound (Miami) on the next morning.

So one last question, if I may: Which airport (MCO/MIA/FLL) is the best/friendliest to go on a little spotting spree prior to departure?

Thanks
        Torsten

Comment

As for hotels/areas around MCO when you arrive - consider driving to the East coast and staying in Melbourne/Cape Canavaral (which is along the 'space coast' i.e. where NASA's launch facility is located). From there, you canhop onto the I-95 which will lead you to South Florida easily, with many cool stops along the way.

Regarding your "spotter's choice" - MIA has a few location outside of the terminal (but it does require driving to other lociations around the perimeter of the airport). Security is quite pro-active and as of such, spotting might be difficult without credentials and/or prior knowledge of both security members and spots. Apart from that, MIA will offer a greater variety of airlines when compared to FLL - with the majority of them being AA aircraft.

FLL, however, has a great terminal layout and so, as you are walking from one to the other, it is quite easy to get a great shot of aircraft sitting at their gates and the like. There used to be a great spotting location at the end of the runway (along perimeter road) however I am not sure if it is still open. Apart from that, there are great spotting areas (rather un-tapped) to the South of the airport (as if you are headed to the Jet Center). As for variety - you are sure to get the best of America's LCCs, as FLL is a hub for Spirit, and a major focus city for JetBlue, Southwest, AirTran et al. Delta has a large presence there, and by the time that you get here, FLL will be the only VX destination on the Eastern U.S. coast (apart from JFK).

In short - if you are just going to be walking around the terminal and do not have the time to drive/go hunting - FLL is your best bet.
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Also, the top floor of the short-term parking garage at MCO is a good place to spot.

Comment

Working...
            X