Go-around: flaps? computer-reset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go-around: flaps? computer-reset?

I experienced my first go-around this past Friday heading into SFO (SW 737-300). The plane was down to around 30-50ft and past the threshold when the engines spooled up and off we went. I was very surprised at how low we were and immediately suspected a runway incursion.

About a minute after the GA, the pilot comes on the PA and states there was something that didn’t look right and they choose to err towards caution. He continued that they’d spend a few minutes “debugging” with the token “on the ground in a few minutes”.

A few 180’s and a 360 later over the bay area (15 minutes), we were back in the approach pattern.

On the ground the pilot announced there was a computer reset that prompted the GA. This was a 737-300 in VMC so I was little surprised any computer (the flight computer?) would be that involved with the landing so close to the flare, but I’m not a pilot.

I’ve since listened to the ATC archive. When asked by the tower for the reason of the GA, the response was “air flap configuration didn't want to come out today”.

Anyone have any guesses what happened? Does this suggest the flaps weren’t deployed? What do the flaps and any computer have to do with each other on a 737-300? And the computer reset?

BTW, how often does a GA happen for a airliner in VMC?
    Last edited by jsdube; 2009-12-22, 07:19. Reason: typos

Well, my knowledge of the 737-300 is a little limited, but a flap problem (or more likely a flap position indicator problem) could easily cause a go around and some problem-solving time, even if it is just to work out if the warning was false before making another attempt. The pilot's description of a computer reset is likely an easier way of explaining the whole system - explaining GPWS computers and flap position indicators could get a little long winded . The computer they would be talking about is the "old fashioned" version... just a simple device - not the modern computers you'd find on an airbus .

As to go arounds in VMC? Yes they happen, and they're not that rare. Many reasons to do them as you can imagine - probably at least one a day or every couple of days at Heathrow alone... busier airports or ones affected by strong winds are the main culprits. I've done 4 in VMC, and none in IMC in 6 years of airline flying... some other crew are the opposite.

Comment

Working...
    X