High number of airports(civil&AFBs)/runways in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High number of airports(civil&AFBs)/runways in Singapore

I was checking Singapore on Google Earth recently to see the area dedicated to the Singapore Airshow because of a photo posted at anet and decided to "look around the country". Because I have the airport marks activated on GE I was amazed at the high number of airports/runways in such a small country.

In 700 km2 there are 7 distinct airports with 9 runways, of these 3 commercial and 6 AFBs and in some cases each one is not more than 30kms from the other. I'm guessing this is rather unique? What other country has such a high "runway density" if the concept applies? Are they really necessary? BTW, the smallest country with an airport is Nauru (21 km2), the two smaller than it, Vatican City and Monaco, only have heliports.

I found some facts about the Singapore airports/AFBs: Changi airport has an "attached but separated" AFB, Changi Air Base East, with an exclusive runway but it is planned to eventually become Changi's third runway. Tengah air force base doesn't show on GE any planes and taxiways disappear into the mountains... underground hangars I'd guess? And finally if you look at the west side of the country there is an airport mark called "Ahmad Ibrahim Road Highway Strip" but it is clearly a road... Google Earth mistake?

Originally posted by alwaysconcorde View Post
    I was checking Singapore on Google Earth recently to see the area dedicated to the Singapore Airshow because of a photo posted at anet and decided to "look around the country". Because I have the airport marks activated on GE I was amazed at the high number of airports/runways in such a small country.

In 700 km2 there are 7 distinct airports with 9 runways, of these 3 commercial and 6 AFBs and in some cases each one is not more than 30kms from the other. I'm guessing this is rather unique? What other country has such a high "runway density" if the concept applies? Are they really necessary? BTW, the smallest country with an airport is Nauru (21 km2), the two smaller than it, Vatican City and Monaco, only have heliports.

I found some facts about the Singapore airports/AFBs: Changi airport has an "attached but separated" AFB, Changi Air Base East, with an exclusive runway but it is planned to eventually become Changi's third runway. Tengah air force base doesn't show on GE any planes and taxiways disappear into the mountains... underground hangars I'd guess? And finally if you look at the west side of the country there is an airport mark called "Ahmad Ibrahim Road Highway Strip" but it is clearly a road... Google Earth mistake?
    No, not a GE mistake - the main higway servicing Changi Airport has a long section of straight 6 lane highway that has a removable centre divider (the divider consists of plants in large concrete planter boxes that could easily be forklifted or dragged to one side) This is an emergency runway and the Singapore Air Force regularly exercises operating their fast jets from them. One of the easiest ways to nullify enemy air ops is to crater their runways and deny operations (there are specific munitions developed to do this). The highway runways are a way to give more options to the Singaporeans.

In the 70's tensions were high between Malaysia and Singapore. Singapore is now on good relations with Malaysia, however they keep their defence preparedness at a high standard just in case.

Edit - all explained here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBMD4QTSyqM
    Last edited by SYDCBRWOD; 2010-01-25, 23:13. Reason: Added link

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
      In the 70's tensions were high between Malaysia and Singapore. Singapore is now on good relations with Malaysia, however they keep their defence preparedness at a high standard just in case.
      On top of that, there are tensions between Singapore and Indonesia from time to time.

As a result, Singapore maintains by far the most powerful armed force in all of Southeast Asia. Although it is only half the size of New York City, its air force has 124 fighter jets, including 24 F15s and 74 F16s. It is also probably the smallest country in the world to have airbourne refuel capabilities and AEW capabilities, with 4 KC135Rs and 4 E2Cs.

Its navy is equally impressive. Singapore is probably, again, the smallest country in the world to have a fleet of submarines, stealth frigates and amphibious attack ships.

Singapore's navy has also sent a frigate to patrol Somali waters, and is one of only four East Asian navies to have a presence in the pirate infested region (the others are Malaysia, China and South Korea).
      Next:
      None Planned

Comment

Working...
      X