X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ufo
    replied
    Originally posted by cja View Post

Thanks for your explanations. To the unitiated like me flying from China to the UK via the USA is adding a lot of extra miles especially as most packages are routed westward via Almaty. The fact is that parcels shipped economy come the long way round and we are billed more than for parcels shipped on a priority service that tend to come via Almaty. So are we being charged extra for that Economy routing because of the extra distance and therefore does this really demonstrate efficient organisation?
    Yes, I agree. If YOU are flying from China to the UK as a passenger, then by all means, westbound is certainly the way to go. But if you are small packages flying with FedEx, you will most likely fly eastbound to the U.S. before flying to the UK. This may not be efficient mileage-wise, but it may be the only way to service the freight, given FedEx' operating authority. I can only recommend that you find alternative European or Chinese-based carriers (who may have operating authority China-UK) to move your freight next time if you have a problem with routing or associated shipping charges.

Leave a comment:

• cja
    replied
    Only Santa Claus can operate direct...and only on flights from the North Pole (although the toys are still built in Beijing).

Thanks for your explanations. To the unitiated like me flying from China to the UK via the USA is adding a lot of extra miles especially as most packages are routed westward via Almaty. The fact is that parcels shipped economy come the long way round and we are billed more than for parcels shipped on a priority service that tend to come via Almaty. So are we being charged extra for that Economy routing because of the extra distance and therefore does this really demonstrate efficient organisation?

Leave a comment:

• ufo
    replied
    Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
    This looks very efficient from a cost standpoint knowing how FedEx operates. If faster delivery was required the shipment should have been on a UK aircraft (or EU aircraft - not sure of the rules these days). When I took a class on air freight I was told that US aircraft could not fly between most countries without a stop in the USA.
    That's pretty much it. Most countries are quite particular on their air traffic agreements and carriers develop their schedules around those freedoms of the air. Only Santa Claus can operate direct...and only on flights from the North Pole (although the toys are still built in Beijing).

The routing PEK-MEM-EWR-STN is pretty direct service IMO. The second routing from MUC-BRU?-CDG?-MEM-EWR-STN is obviously more roundabout, but, so long as FedEx met its delivery promise, should not be a problem for the shipper or the consignee just how it got from point A to point B.

And lastly...the funny thing about air freight is...it rarely complains.

Leave a comment:

• Highkeas
    replied
    Originally posted by cja View Post
    Here is the tracking on a recent shipment I ordered from China to the UK.
    NB times are in reverse order. Consignment weight 52KG

This looks very efficient from a cost standpoint knowing how FedEx operates. If faster delivery was required the shipment should have been on a UK aircraft (or EU aircraft - not sure of the rules these days). When I took a class on air freight I was told that US aircraft could not fly between most countries without a stop in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• cja
    replied
    Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
    Not so long ago, people would buy around-the-world-tickets ....
    At the moment I can only dream of doing such trips!!

Leave a comment:

• LX-A343
    replied
    Not so long ago, people would buy around-the-world-tickets ....

Leave a comment:

• cja
    started a topic Why Air freight is so expensive

Why Air freight is so expensive

Here is the tracking on a recent shipment I ordered from China to the UK.
    NB times are in reverse order. Consignment weight 52KG

All shipment travel activity is displayed in local time for the location
    To display the shipment travel activity in local time of the scan, please select "Local Scan Time" time zone option.
    Alert: To determine the destination time zone for this shipment please select from the Others list.
    Alert: To determine the origin time zone for this shipment please select from the Others list.
    No entries found

Jan 26, 2010 8:56 AM
    Delivered

DEESIDE FLINT SHIRE WALES GB

Jan 26, 2010 7:01 AM
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    CHESTER GB

Jan 26, 2010 4:02 AM
    At local FedEx facility
    CHESTER GB

Jan 25, 2010 5:39 PM
    In transit
    STANSTED GB
    Package available for clearance

Jan 25, 2010 5:32 PM
    Int'l shipment release
    STANSTED GB

Jan 25, 2010 3:09 PM
    At dest sort facility
    STANSTED GB

Jan 25, 2010 3:47 AM
    Departed FedEx location
    NEWARK, NJ

Jan 24, 2010 10:14 PM
    Arrived at FedEx location
    NEWARK, NJ

Jan 24, 2010 7:08 PM
    Departed FedEx location
    MEMPHIS, TN

Jan 23, 2010 10:24 PM
    Arrived at FedEx location
    MEMPHIS, TN

Jan 23, 2010 7:06 PM
    In transit
    BEIJING CN

Jan 23, 2010 3:23 PM
    In transit
    BEIJING CN

Jan 22, 2010 8:55 PM
    Left FedEx origin facility
    BEIJING CN

Jan 22, 2010 4:09 PM
    Picked up
    BEIJING CN

I Also had a package from Munich Germany come to the UK via Belgium, Paris, Memphis, Newark and Stansted.

Last edited by cja; 2010-01-26, 14:12.
Working...
X