Introducing the 'sky-couch' from Air New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing the 'sky-couch' from Air New Zealand

Bosses from the airline say 25 percent of the economy seats in their new Boeing 777-300ER jets i will be able to convert into beds. The Skycouch is formed by opening out the leg rests of a row of three seats along the window sides of the aircraft - giving a 1.75-metre bed.

http://newslite.tv/2010/01/28/airlin...ring-econ.html

Firstly, the pictures (at the article's site) very well show how the seating converts and how comfortable it looks. Simply, great idea - although, I assume that this will be offered in Premium Economy and not in regular economy class. Either way, very well done on Air New Zealand's part. I can't wait to see the 773ERs!!!
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Just the fact that you can get rid of the armrest completely is a pleasure, if you are flying with a person you know.

Comment

worthless unless you're planning on having a menage a trois. how do they figure on fitting 3 people on that couch?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        worthless unless you're planning on having a menage a trois. how do they figure on fitting 3 people on that couch?
        It's 2 people not 3.

Passengers will pay the standard economy fare for two seats and receive the middle seat for about half price.

Presuming it is a couple that buys the seat, the total amounts to about NZ$7,600 ($5,400, £3,335) for a return flight to London.

Single passengers in business class lie-flat seats pay nearly $7,140 for the London flight, and a single premium economy seat that does not recline to a bed costs nearly $4,300.
        BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I'm just not completely sure how comfortable this is considering the apparent width of the "bed".
        TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Great idea! But I'm wondering how do you keep at least a loosly fastened seatbelt around you so you don't end up as ceiling decoration in turbulence if you end up sleeping at the foot end of the 'bed'?

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
            Great idea! But I'm wondering how do you keep at least a loosly fastened seatbelt around you so you don't end up as ceiling decoration in turbulence if you end up sleeping at the foot end of the 'bed'?
            Syd, there you go again asking real questions...

Comment

.... unless you're planning on having a menage a trois.
              Will there be a fee for that? just askin...

Comment

i heard it's free if you supply your own prophylactics...

Comment

And your own air pump to inflate her...

Comment

Syd, there you go again asking real questions...
                    OK, let me spoil my record by passing the following comment:

"They say group sex is OK if you can menage it" BOOM BOOM! (probably not a good idea to say the boom boom thing on an aviation forum these days - maybe substitute "bom tish!")

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
                      And your own air pump to inflate her...
                      well, I know what i'll be carrying on...

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
                        (probably not a good idea to say the boom boom thing on an aviation forum these days - maybe substitute "bom tish!")
                        Oh yes - bom! That's much better!!
                        Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Ah, yes...

Masters & Johnston. The econo-class, reverse-spoon position, I believe. Very nice. Wonder if the modified foot rest extensions work if the he is hanging "out there" and she is "seat side".

Also, how many airlines have a row #69, I wonder? Guess there would be arm rests at both ends anyway, eh?

Still, a great idea. I applaud the effort. The "mile high" club is going to see a definite boom in membership, for sure.

Comment

Bring your own clean plastic sheets.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
                              Bring your own clean plastic sheets.
                              damn, this is getting to be more trouble than its worth

Comment

Working...
                              X