X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS sells their DC-8's

Hopefully some will fly on!

AerSale, Inc. Acquires CFM56 Powered DC8-70 Fleet

CORAL GABLES, Fla., Feb. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- AerSale announced today the acquisition of a fleet of 44 Douglas DC8-71F/-73F series freighter aircraft powered by CFM56 engines. Included in the purchase is the company's entire inventory of CFM56-2C1 engines, DC8-70 series spare parts & tooling, and a Level D (full motion) DC8-70 series flight simulator. "One of the cornerstones of our business model is to facilitate airlines with their fleet transitions," stated Nicolas Finazzo, AerSale's Chief Executive Officer. "Dealing with a single counterparty that can efficiently realize the value of such a diverse package of difficult to finance aviation assets was a major factor in AerSale winning the contract. This transaction is only the first of several large scale multi-fleet acquisitions included in our 2010 forecast."

The Douglas DC8-70 fleet was manufactured in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and was re-engined with the CFM56-2 powerplant in the early 1980s. This engine series also powers the Boeing KC135 tanker and E-3 AWACS fleets flown by the US and numerous foreign militaries. There are approximately 2,300 CFM56-2 engines in operation worldwide. The CFM56-2 is the predecessor to the CFM56-3 and other CFM56 family engines which have broad application across the world's fleet of passenger and cargo aircraft.

"With this package we can effectively service the remaining DC8-70 fleet despite its limited future; however strategically, the real value comes from the parts value of the engines," added Robert B. Nichols, AerSale's Chief Operating Officer. "With over 180 CFM56 engines included, AerSale is already positioned to become the leading provider of aftermarket CFM56 material. This is welcome news to our MRO customers who will depend upon a reliable source of aftermarket inexpensive high quality OEM parts, as an alternative to expensive new parts. Their customers in turn benefit by lower shop visit costs, which ultimately extends the economic lives of maturing CFM56 powered fleets."
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

It sounds like the airplanes themselves were (not surprisingly) not the main attraction. I'm curious about what they plan to do with the sim, Pan Am academy already has one, and I doubt FSI is interested in starting a DC-8 program.

Comment

If the DC-8's are going to fly on they will do so for carriers in Africa and South America on the most part i would think. That said the large number will end up parked up waiting for the scrap man to get to them minus any parts that are of use to other airlines. Sadly they arent an aircraft ive seen a lot of and i will miss them.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Malone View Post
        It sounds like the airplanes themselves were (not surprisingly) not the main attraction. I'm curious about what they plan to do with the sim, Pan Am academy already has one, and I doubt FSI is interested in starting a DC-8 program.
        The article stated that the KC-135 and E-3 AWACS are also powered by the same powerplants. Could or is the USAF interested in purchsing the engines, or is the company holding out on a slim hope?
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I wonder how long Boeing going to support the DC-8?
          Caravelle and Concorde got pulled by Airbus, AN-8 by Antonov.
          What´s the critical number?
          "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Should the US and nATO E-3 not be using JTD-33? The French and British use CFMs afaik.

Comment

Working...
            X