No announcement yet.

Flight Cancelled due to Ice Blockage???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Cancelled due to Ice Blockage???

Just got back from a great vacation in Hawaii. Anyway on the way there Jan 13, 2010 we had a United Flight 721 KDEN-KSFO. I watched our 752 taxi in and all looked fine, plus it was a nice warm day weather wise in Denver. They unloaded all the PAX, crew changed, pilot did his walk around, plane was loaded up, as we all boarded. It looked to me like the flight was full and we all buckled in.

Then a United Customer Service Rep came on board and said the aircraft is being taken out of service due to "Ice blockage" (no futher explanation). Then she continued with "the flight is cancelled and we have no back up aircraft". As I was seated at the back of the plane (last to get out) and had a connecting flight in San Fran to get to in a few hours, I didn't have time to ask any questions about what happened.

I have an interest in planes but I'm certainly no expert, but the whole thing seemed strange. Does anybody know what this "Ice Blockage" might have been? And can it be so bad they need to cancel the flight all together? Also note we were basically at the point of pushback when it was cancelled.

I just check Flight Aware and although this is a daily flight it shows no flight for Jan 12 or 13, 2010, so it appears the flight one day prior to mine might also have been cancelled. If anybody might be able to shed some light on this, I am all ears. Thanks.

obviously not ice blockage, the pilot would have noticed it, and they could have put some de-icing fluid into the engine, and seeing as how u said it was nice weather, then it was obviously something more serious. They most likely said "ice blockage" so they wouldn't freak everyone on the plane out
    I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

Originally posted by porter guy View Post
      obviously not ice blockage, the pilot would have noticed it, and they could have put some de-icing fluid into the engine, and seeing as how u said it was nice weather, then it was obviously something more serious. They most likely said "ice blockage" so they wouldn't freak everyone on the plane out
      Nobody said it was the engine. Ice has a tendency to build up in the service ports and the lavs cant be drained, or water cant be put in.
      You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Well I thought it sounded kindy fishy but as I said I'm no expert. To pull the aircraft out of service, cancel the flight and find alternate flights for 175 people because of an ice blockage? After it taxied in fine and sat for at least and hour in the sun in well above freezing temps.

Even if there really was an ice blockage of some type, would they not have noticed it prior to pushback time, or could they not have melted it?

How about this question. Is it normal for a major airline to make up an almost obviously fake excuse instead of the real reason to cancel the flight?

Don't get me wrong I'm sure they had a legit reason, but why lie about it, unless as Porter said, so people don't freak out. I can say this though, I don't appreciate being lied to...

In United's defense, they handled my particular situation very well and I made my flight from San Fran to Kona that night.

Comment

Working...
        X