Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Terror alert" on Emirates 505

Howdy!

I haven't seen a thread on this one yet, so I thought I'd start one.

Source 1:
    http://www.ptinews.com/news/506074_E...se-against-one

Mumbai, Feb 7 (PTI) Police have registered a complaint against a man, who had allegedly made a call saying there was a "terrorist" on board a Dubai-bound Emirates flight with 356 passengers.

"A case of criminal intimidation and giving false information has been registered against Suresh Chavan," a senior police official said.

The anonymous call to the cargo supervisor of the Emirates flight by Chavan was traced to suburban Andheri, the official said adding police are on his look-out.

Earlier, a businessman Shahbaz and his wife Waheeda, travelling on the plane were detained for questioning by police. They said the duo's son Amjad must have made the call as they are embroiled in a property dispute.

According to police, the caller, who identified himself as Suresh Chavan, claimed a passenger named Shahbaz Khan on board was an 'Al-Qaeda' terrorist.

------------------------------------

Source 2: ( Google translation from a Spanish newspaper)

http://www.elpais.com.uy/100207/ultmo-469992/ultimomomento/detienen-avion-por-alerta-terrorista

A UAE company plane that had departed from Dubai with 356 passengers was blocked today in Mumbai after receiving a call that warned of terrorist presence on the aircraft.
    A spokesman for Mumbai International Airport, reported the Indian agency PTI, said the call came in the morning with warnings about the flight EK 505, so the pilot was ordered to stop the aircraft in an isolated area.
    Passengers were forced to descend and the authorities controlled the aircraft and luggage. Two people were arrested.

------------------------

Of course, the first thing that stands out to me is the discrepancy between the two articles, with one saying that the flight was departing Dubai, and the other saying that it was the other way around.

In any case... as it appears that this was really a "non-event" that perhaps originated from a "property dispute," I thought it would be fun to ask you what kind of repercussions/punishments should be handed out to someone who makes up terrorist threats like this (and again, I'm assuming here that that's all this was and this was not a real terrorist threat).

If you were a passenger on a flight that was affected in this way, and it turned out that the terrorist threat wasn't real, what would you suggest as a punishment for the person who called in the false threat?

Let the fun begin!

-TFS

A call like that is so stupid. But I guess one should expect a few. Now that I think about it, the ghastly accident in the Canary Islands was caused in part by a call just like that. Weird. There was no bomb anywhere, yet more people died that day than in any other accidental event. So these calls are not harmless.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
      A call like that is so stupid. But I guess one should expect a few. Now that I think about it, the ghastly accident in the Canary Islands was caused in part by a call just like that. Weird. There was no bomb anywhere, yet more people died that day than in any other accidental event. So these calls are not harmless.
      There certainly was a bomb explosion at the main Tenerife airport that day, which was the cause of the diversion to Los Rodeos of so many aircraft, including the two accident aircraft.

Comment

Working...
      X