BA wants winglets for RR-powered 763ERs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA wants winglets for RR-powered 763ERs

Apparently the same winglets that can be used on the PW and GE-powered 76s cannot be used for the RR-powered 76s due to different wing-loading characteristics.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...767-fleet.html

Interesting. They finally jumped onboard the wagon of adding winglets to 767s, hopefully they can. I do like this part of the article..."He wants Boeing to pay for the development...", yeah I don't think Boeing will do so Willie.
    what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Diffoot View Post
      Interesting. They finally jumped onboard the wagon of adding winglets to 767s, hopefully they can. I do like this part of the article..."He wants Boeing to pay for the development...", yeah I don't think Boeing will do so Willie.
      I actually think Boeing would be willing to do so, to the tenor of "Sure Mr. Walsh, we are more than happy to provide your 763s with winglets, providing that you will sign an order for 50 787s while we're at it."

Comment

Good point there DAL767-400ER.
        what ever happens......happens

Comment

What other airlines would benefit from this development because they too may be interested in splitting the costs. Trouble is i dont think many airlines have the Rolls Royce power plants on the engines.

Comment

Originally posted by SAMRPICS View Post
            What other airlines would benefit from this development because they too may be interested in splitting the costs. Trouble is i dont think many airlines have the Rolls Royce power plants on the engines.
            Well, the only other airline that ever ordered 767s with RR engines was China Yunnan (now part of China Eastern), and that was for a measly 3 planes. Not really a factor, never mind that those aren't with MU anymore either and who knows who has them these days.

Of course, when you consider that out of 1,041 767s ordered to date, only 31 are RR-equipped, you can understand why Boeing isn't really willing to invest any money here.

Comment

They still had the B767-300ER's in service when i was in China in September. Also i thought China Yunnan was now part of Hainan. Who also still have their B767-300ER's. Both airlines above have three of the type actually. Was a complete supprise to me to see China Eastern 767-300ER's when i went to China because i never even knew they had any. That said i never knew Air China had B757-200's either so there were a few interesting supprised along the way. Anyways your point still stands because China Eastern and Hainan i cant imagine will be keeping their B767-300ER fleet for that much longer. So British Airways is going to have to reconsider a stop gap strategy until they get the aircraft they have ordered to replace the B767-300ER. If i was them i would consider leasing all of the A330-200's that are now available since the departure of Air Comet in Spain. But that would only solve part of the problem and they would still need to get some more from somewhere to cover them. Alternately they could take the ex Bmi ones if they havent found a home and then just wait for Emirates to start the removal of theirs within the next few years as i suspect that this will happen.

Comment

Working...
              X