Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing expecting 737 re-engine decision this year

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...this-year.html

Having recently seen some information about the new P&W option, if they acheive half of what they have said that they've seen in their development testing it will be a force to be reckoned with.

A 737 with a noise footprint less than the BAE146, and using 15 to 20% less fuel than the CFM56, it will have to make operators stand up and pay attention.

Comment

Hm, anything to get that elusive 10,000th order for the 737 eh ? But yeah, I am always cautious about what companies promise about their new products, but if this indeed works out in the way it is said to, then the 737 will be booked solid for at least another decade.

Comment

If they get it under the wing

Comment

Yes the wing seems to be a bit of an issue, but it will work for the A320 with no issues.

They seem pretty confident that a minor adjustment in fitting will solve the 737 problem, but I guess we'll wait and see .

Comment

^I've read before that Boeing was considering raising the fuselage ground clearance of the 737 to get the PW engine as an option. It will be interesting to see what Boeing comes up with in that regard.

Comment

Even though the re-engine plan is somewhat exciting from the economics of an airline and it reduces the environmental impact, we the flying public are not going to get any major improvement in the flying experience. Why would Boeing or Airbus do any change to their single aisle planes? I'm sure Boeing is happy and Airbus is happy with their current market share and the only new design would come if the Chinese or another competitor start from clean sheet and show a remarkable improvement the 737/A320 series.

That leaves the flying public with no new technological advances that would make the flying experience better. I lover the Next Gen 737's but my biggest issue is with the 737's is the windows, they are way too low and I end up with a neck ache because I still prefer a window seat.

I hope another competitor really steps forward because with a 3rd player that's when changes/innovation come and we could get a new aircraft that has some of the 787/A350 features that can really make the passenger experience better.

Comment

^For a tall person I agree somewhat that the windows might be low, but try flying in a CRJ 100/200, I'm relatively short and I still have bend my head down to look outside.

Comment

Would an airline ever spend money to relocate windows? Given their profit struggles lately, I'd be shocked.

If the flying public would support reregulation to control entries to the industry to some degree or another, THEN you might see amenities improve. So long as flyers only focus on bargain trips, I'd expect amenities to continue to dwindle. I mean, come on, you still have a seat to sit in. I'd yawn if I heard a new "bargain fare" did not include a guarantee you could sit down.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                    Would an airline ever spend money to relocate windows? Given their profit struggles lately, I'd be shocked.

If the flying public would support reregulation to control entries to the industry to some degree or another, THEN you might see amenities improve. So long as flyers only focus on bargain trips, I'd expect amenities to continue to dwindle. I mean, come on, you still have a seat to sit in. I'd yawn if I heard a new "bargain fare" did not include a guarantee you could sit down.
                    relocate windows? are you serious?

Comment

This is what I was reacting to:

That leaves the flying public with no new technological advances that would make the flying experience better. I lover the Next Gen 737's but my biggest issue is with the 737's is the windows, they are way too low and I end up with a neck ache because I still prefer a window seat.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                        This is what I was reacting to:
                        No one is suggesting an aircraft manufacturer re-engineer just the windows. Just that the flying public would have to wait for a completely new airplane to come out before we see real changes in the flying experience in the 737 since a re-engine plan would likely delay a brand new design.

All brand new designs would include passenger pleasing features such as better cabin air filtration, likely some more headroom with better engineered overhead bins and bigger windows like we saw in the 777, the E-Jets, A380 and now the 787.

Comment

Lets see, Boeing can do one of two things.

1. Spend millions to lower the floor thus making the windows higher and make EconomyClass happy with no other discernible profit

or

2. Spend millions on engineering redisign and save many more millions in decressed fuel usage and lower ticket prices so people with "Economy" in their user name can fly cheaper.

Tough choice I know
                          Signatures are overrated

Comment

Working...
                          X