Help me - KDFW waypoint names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me - KDFW waypoint names

I can't find a chart anywhere, and I am listening to ATC and I can't figure out what they are talking about because I don't understand the names of the waypoints. I know there must be one very near my house and I would like to know what it is. Help?
    I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Originally posted by Myndee View Post
    I can't find a chart anywhere, and I am listening to ATC and I can't figure out what they are talking about because I don't understand the names of the waypoints. I know there must be one very near my house and I would like to know what it is. Help?
    There are quite a few around the DFW area. Would be helpful to know if they are for arrival, departure, enroute and which direction, then I could look them up.
    Which ATC do you listen to? Clearance delivery? Departure? Tower? Arrival?

Comment

For departures there are:

GRABE, AKUNA, WILBR, NOBLY, TRISS, SOLDO, CLARE, DARTZ, ARDIA, JASPA, NELYN, PODDE, CEOLA, SLOTT, FERRA, LOWGN, BLECO

For arrivals:

JONEZ, HERRI, JAGGO, NAVYS, MASTY, HYDES, JUMBO

and several VORs all around DFW...

Comment

I have been listening to both arrivals and departures, and they keep saying something that sounds like "Bobbin."

I actually live right outside of Arlington airport so I was wondering if there was a map or something that I could look at. We get alot of DFW air traffic in a similar pattern over here so I am assuming there is a navigation point nearby.

Is there a map online?
        I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

You can check out this chart, it has most of the intersections and VOR's around the DFW area.

Make your Flight Plan at SkyVector.com. SkyVector is a free online flight planner. Flight planning is easy on our large collection of Aeronautical Charts, including Sectional Charts, Approach Plates, IFR Enroute Charts, and Helicopter route charts. Weather data is always current, as are Jet Fuel Prices and avgas 100ll prices.

Comment

Originally posted by groundpounder View Post
            You can check out this chart, it has most of the intersections and VOR's around the DFW area.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=32.85698037...art=464&zoom=4

Perfect! That is what I was looking for.
            I can't find "Bobbin" but I probably heard it wrong. I did find the point near my home so I am happy now.

Comment

Perfect! That is what I was looking for.
              I can't find "Bobbin" but I probably heard it wrong. I did find the point near my home so I am happy now.
              What context is "bobbin" being used? And could you perhaps be hearing "Bonham"?

Comment

What context is "bobbin" being used? And could you perhaps be hearing "Bonham"?
                They say, "Direct STONZ" or "until bobbin." How embarassing if they have been saying Bonham this whole time. My face is getting red now.

Comment

They say, "Direct STONZ" or "until bobbin." How embarassing if they have been saying Bonham this whole time. My face is getting red now.
                  Don't worry, those of us that are in the cockpit all the time sometimes go "huh, what did he say???".

Comment

Don't worry, those of us that are in the cockpit all the time sometimes go "huh, what did he say???".

LOL, I can imagine. Some of the names are funny, especially if you have a juvenile sense of behavior like I do! "...direct to PODDE." "...but I am not allowed to get up!"

Comment

Working...
                    X