Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• groundpounder
    replied
    He retired because he can make alot more money with speaking engagements than he can with flying. He gets $60k per speech.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    ^^^^
    That actually brought a lump to my throat.

Leave a comment:

• APS
    replied
    Here's the rather touching send-off for Cactus 1167 (Sully's last flight from Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)

First contact 10 minutes in, last contact 18 minutes.

Goodbye, Captain!

Leave a comment:

• Leftseat86
    replied
    Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    There is a HUGE difference between Sully and his military background and the latest crop of civil trained pilots.

Both groups are quite capable of flying an airplane but the difference is a bit like advanced drivers ( Sully ) and new licence holders. Advanced drivers have that little bit of necessary "I know what to do without getting out the manual first" experience.

I wish him well for his future...he's earned it.

Actually the main difference between him and most other guys flying the line with similar experience, and the main reason why he handled that incredible situation given to him so well, is that he is, by all accounts, an expert glider pilot.

Leave a comment:

• TeeVee
    replied
    next stop...politics

Leave a comment:

• EconomyClass
    replied
    Saw him making a statement on TV, he said he expected the hullaballoo about his landing to be over by now, but it is still absorbing his time, so he felt it better to give up flying for something that left him more free time.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Since he still had 6 years for mandatory retirement, I wonder how the accident influenced this decision.

On another not, he is not completely leaving the industry really:

Sullenberger plans to spend more time with his family in retirement. He will also continue to talk to lawmakers about raising minimum qualifications for pilots and work to lower the maximum number of hours pilots are able to work in a single day

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    There is a HUGE difference between Sully and his military background and the latest crop of civil trained pilots.

Both groups are quite capable of flying an airplane but the difference is a bit like advanced drivers ( Sully ) and new licence holders. Advanced drivers have that little bit of necessary "I know what to do without getting out the manual first" experience.

I wish him well for his future...he's earned it.

Leave a comment:

• transitfan
    replied
    Congrats to Sully for a job well done! I've checked out his book from the library, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. In viewing the coverage of his last flight, I see US still hasn't repainted all the planes some 4 (4 1/2?) years after the new color scheme was introduced.

Leave a comment:

• VViscount
    replied
    Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
    Watch him take a nice cushy job as an aviation reporter or consultant for one of the TV networks. He can write his own ticket for whatever he wants I would bet. Good for him.
    I was hoping more along the lines of some sort of instructor so he can pass on his knowledge to future generations of pilots.

Leave a comment:

• Deadstick
    replied
    Watch him take a nice cushy job as an aviation reporter or consultant for one of the TV networks. He can write his own ticket for whatever he wants I would bet. Good for him.

Leave a comment:

• Myndee
    started a topic Sully is retiring

Sully is retiring

He deserves it, but I hate to see another great pilot leaving the industry.

http://cbs11tv.com/watercooler/chesl...2.1533873.html
Working...
X