Landing an MD 80 with a wicked crosswind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing an MD 80 with a wicked crosswind

It always amazes me when I get to see pilots showing their skill. This video from Just Planes shows a landing at NCE on 4L with a surface wind of 100 degrees at 21kt (It's at the very end of the clip, the rest of the video is also quite interesting).

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrIJI0HYDzU
    Last edited by AJ; 2010-03-08, 07:59.

Sweet video, talk about landing a bit left of centerline and moving the yoke around at the end.
    what ever happens......happens

Comment

That would have been a good landing if the wind was 41, for a 21 knot wind that was a horrible landing. To be that far left of centerline is not acceptable. I'm not a super pilot, but if the winds were that fierce, a go around should have been performed.

Comment

Not horrible, but more like mediocre.

Comment

Not just good, but perfect landing (by definition):

Good landing: Landing everyone walks away of.
          Perfect landing: Good landing where the plane can be re-used without further maintainnece.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I've read before that the MD 80 is not a freindly aircraft in strong crosswind landings and with an angular component like that, flaring is quite tricky.

Comment

This is how you do it:

Comment

^^That is amazing. That camera operator was brave. I would have dropped the camera and been running long before the wheels touched the ground.
                I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
                  This is how you do it:

Every time I see that clip the term "poetry in motion" comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
                  X