Awesome Video!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Video!

check this video out! i own the same type of camera as the one used to take this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSEo...ayer_embedded#

what i find interesting is that the nose gear was down so far in advance of landing while the main gear was not deployed.

i wonder if the company, supposedly AF, will approve.

problem is, i'm not sure i believe the video is what it says. 1. AF doesnt appear to fly from South Africa. 2. i doubt AF aircraft would have english writing on them. 3. who the hell would fly a jumbo 300 miles???

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    check this video out! i own the same type of camera as the one used to take this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSEo...ayer_embedded#

what i find interesting is that the nose gear was down so far in advance of landing while the main gear was not deployed.

i wonder if the company, supposedly AF, will approve.

problem is, i'm not sure i believe the video is what it says. 1. AF doesnt appear to fly from South Africa. 2. i doubt AF aircraft would have english writing on them. 3. who the hell would fly a jumbo 300 miles???
    Not sure where you get the info that its Air France, more likely it South African. And AF does fly to South Africa with the A380 as shown at the beginning of the video.

Comment

Awesome vid.

I saw this on the other site and read it was MK when they had a hub down in Jo'burg.
      Plus it doesn't seem like that long a flight, so if the speed is kept down, then I guess you can have the gear down pretty much the whole trip.
      Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

Comment

Cool video. Interesting figuring out how they lowered the nose gear before the main gear.

Making of Belly of the Beast
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yo-B...response_watch
        what ever happens......happens

Comment

1. AF doesnt appear to fly from South Africa. 2. i doubt AF aircraft would have english writing on them. 3. who the hell would fly a jumbo 300 miles???
          4. it's a -200. I doubt AF have flown one of them in years.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

It's an MK Airlines 747-200F

Comment

Originally posted by whiteguy View Post
              Not sure where you get the info that its Air France, more likely it South African. And AF does fly to South Africa with the A380 as shown at the beginning of the video.
              yup they do but not from SA to Mozambique where this flight went. I got the info re the a/c being a 380 from the original posting which is on vholdr.com--the camera manufacturer's site.

it had to be a relatively short flight because the battery on the cam doesn't last all that long and there is no way to activate it remotely. so it was recording blackness in the gear well and the videographer edited it after the fact.

after reading a bit more, it appears that Gabriel and charles are correct

Comment

First thought was, yes, JNB-MPM is quite a mini trip for a 747. But like it is in the video comment, you simply smile when B747s and A388s appear.
                Second thought was, those engine nacelles are never A388.
                Third thought was, show me your landing lights baby. And that was at 01:43 when I looked into her eyes, and yes, four round lights seem alot like 747.
                That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
                The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

Hi

thanks for vidéo
                  I LOVER BOEING 777 and ALL BOEING

Comment

Nice video, it's always an interesting perspective when you can see the gear in action. I've always had this question and this topic seems like a good place to ask it. I've noticed that in most airliner cockpits, the gear lever has an intermediate position, about halfway between the gear down and gear up positions, is that for lowering the nosegear only like they did in the video, or is that something else?

Comment

Defintely a 747.

The nose gear can come down early if they are a bit "naughty".

There is an emergency Alternate Gear Extend for the Nose Gear, and another for the Main gear. To do this, they would have used the Alternate Gear Extend for the Nose gear early on in the approach, and then used the normal extend for the main gear when they did.

Certainly not something I would be doing, unless I wanted early "retirement".

As for the 3rd position... they are Up, Down and Off.
                      The landing gear is actuated by hydraulics, and then mechanically locked into position (either up or down). Off is used to depressurise the hydraulic system around the gear after it has been moved and is mechanically locked in the up position.

Comment

yup they do but not from SA to Mozambique where this flight went. I got the info re the a/c being a 380 from the original posting which is on vholdr.com--the camera manufacturer's site.

it had to be a relatively short flight because the battery on the cam doesn't last all that long and there is no way to activate it remotely. so it was recording blackness in the gear well and the videographer edited it after the fact.

after reading a bit more, it appears that Gabriel and charles are correct
                        There is an "AF A380" title in the video... precisely when an AF A380 appears in the background.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
                          Defintely a 747.

The nose gear can come down early if they are a bit "naughty".

There is an emergency Alternate Gear Extend for the Nose Gear, and another for the Main gear. To do this, they would have used the Alternate Gear Extend for the Nose gear early on in the approach, and then used the normal extend for the main gear when they did.

Certainly not something I would be doing, unless I wanted early "retirement".

As for the 3rd position... they are Up, Down and Off.
                          The landing gear is actuated by hydraulics, and then mechanically locked into position (either up or down). Off is used to depressurise the hydraulic system around the gear after it has been moved and is mechanically locked in the up position.
                          check out the link Eric posted which actually explains the making of he video...thanks eric

Comment

Thanks TeeVee, I hadn't seen the video... but as you can see my explaination was right.

That said... I can't believe the video was made to begin with, let alone someone show how to do it.

Strapping something to the outside of an aeroplane with cable ties? Are they serious?

And using the alternate gear extention when the normal is serviceable?

I can see why these guys are flying freight. Anyone try this in my part of the world they would currently be sitting in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Diffoot View Post
                              Cool video. Interesting figuring out how they lowered the nose gear before the main gear.

Making of Belly of the Beast
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yo-B...response_watch
                              Now I see that the explanation text in the original video ("A380") is an explanation text for an object in the video (in this case an AF-A388_) and not a second title for the video.
                              But the Making of... is also very nice, especially the accent which is used for the word "pushback dude". Is that Southafrican accent?
                              Last edited by LH-B744; 2010-03-11, 13:32. Reason: "8" + ")" = smiley? well, lets insert a _
                              That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
                              The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                              And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                              Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

Working...
                              X