Frontier/Midwest Brand Decision April 13th - Frontier Chosen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontier/Midwest Brand Decision April 13th - Frontier Chosen

I didn't see it posted anywhere, but it looks like a week from Tuesday Republic is going to announce a single brand going forward for both Frontier and Midwest. Supposedly they're making the decision from customer/employee surveys that have been conducted over the past month. The name could end up being Frontier, Midwest, Republic, or something completely new and different.

Sadly, its pretty clear to me that the final name will not be Midwest. The latest E190 to arrive for Midwest at MKE the other week is painted in generic Republic colors, while all the ones to arrive previously were all painted in the Midwest paint scheme. Meanwhile, Frontier just recieved their newest A320 painted in FRONTIER COLORS. If that's not a huge hint, I don't know what is.

Midwest Airlines - The Best Care In The Air

Originally posted by polishsausage248 View Post
    ... If that's not a huge hint, I don't know what is.
    Whilst I'll never be surprised at business practice and the convenience of underfined terms, I believe that Frontier entered the relationship with Republic on the basis that they would retain their branding.

Presumably discussions locked down what, exactly, was meant by "branding" but it looks like this move might have already been in the wind during those negotiations and, with Frontier also having a very strong national identity forged through their talking animal ads. etc., I wouldn't be surprised if the recent surveys were primarily a customer relations exercise for a decision that has almost already been made.

Paul

ps: love the forum name... smacznego!
    Last edited by HB-IHC; 2010-04-05, 08:44.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
      Whilst I'll never be surprised at business practice and the convenience of underfined terms, I believe that Frontier entered the relationship with Republic on the basis that they would retain their branding.
      True, but then you'd have to wonder why Sean Menke called it quits. You'd think he wasn't happy with something Bryan Bedford was scheming up over there.

Oh, and thanks liking the nick!

Comment

True, but then you'd have to wonder why Sean Menke called it quits. You'd think he wasn't happy with something Bryan Bedford was scheming up over there.
        Yep... perhaps this is just "round 1" of a longer term strategy which will eventually see the end of both Midwest's and Frontier's identities

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

Frontier would make the most sense as far as a name goes. Which is why they won't use it.

Given the ego of that CEO, I fully expect them to dump all sorts of money into some snazzy new name and repaint all the planes ASAP.
          sigpic
          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

And the surviving brand is Frontier!

DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Republic Airways Holdings (NASDAQ: RJET - News) today revealed that the Frontier name and famous “spokesanimals” will be the face of the unified branded airline. The announcement was made this morning during simultaneous press conferences in Frontier’s hometown of Denver and Midwest’s hometown of Milwaukee.

“This decision was an emotional one for everyone involved,” said Bryan Bedford, president, chairman and CEO of Republic Airways Holdings, Inc. “While the research showed that customers preferred the Frontier brand, they also expressed a strong loyalty to both brands based on affordability, convenience, destinations and delivery of a differentiated experience. As we work to integrate these two brands into a unified Frontier Airlines, you can expect to see a lot of influence from the Midwest brand. This will include the introduction of the iconic Midwest Airlines chocolate chip cookie on all Frontier flights this summer.”

Bedford went on to say, “This airline is now bigger and stronger, with an immense opportunity for sustainable, profitable growth in Milwaukee, Denver and across our network. We are launching service to new destinations out of our Milwaukee and Denver hubs and we are adding more jobs in the communities we serve.”

The 2010 growth includes ten new destinations out of the Denver hub and five new destinations out of the Milwaukee hub. As a result, the carrier will grow by seven percent in seat miles this year, three times the industry average. Additionally, the Company employs more than 5,700 aviation professionals across its branded network with 1,200 employees in Milwaukee and 4,100 employees in Denver, with more to come as Frontier’s expansion continues.
            So, the Midwest Brand is gone, but thankfully the Frontier Animals won't be put to sleep. Certainly happy with that decision.

Comment

I'm obviously saddened to see Midwest disappearing, but I pretty much figured Frontier would be chosen. Anyways, here's a few of my thoughts regarding the announcement:

- The new website says "We are currently working to determine the BEST WAY to introduce the cookie on all of our flights. UNTIL THEN, you'll still enjoy a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie." Sounds like they might eventually start serving them cold or out of some bag. I hope not, but it makes me think this is where they might be heading:

- For Airtran, it must be a dream come true to have the Midwest name disappear from MKE.

Comment

Surprises me, things in aviation rarely make sense. Lets hope the DTV spreads to the fleet.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Also, the Journal Sentinel is running a poll asking what people think of the Midwest brand being retired, and with almost four-thousand replies now its awfully close.

47% - The name doesn't really matter; service and low fares count more

53% - It's a big blow to Milwaukee's identity

Total Responses: 3807

Comment

For Airtran, it must be a dream come true to have the Midwest name disappear from MKE.
                    Sadly, it did not have to be like this. Had they agreed to the FL buyout when it was offered, I can only imagine that Midwest's future may have been brighter. Yes, it was highly likely that Midwest would have lost their brand identity, but they would have likely retained their fleet, most of their employees, and perhaps even changing the atmosphere at FL by adding more class to FL mainline.
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X