Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JetBlue Hopes To Use Landmark Terminal (TWA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JetBlue Hopes To Use Landmark Terminal (TWA)

[/i]Eero Saarinen Building Was Designated City Landmark In 1994

Oct 2, 2003 5:45 am US/Central
    NEW YORK (AP) JetBlue Airways wants to use the landmark TWA terminal at Kennedy Airport as part of an expansion in the airline's operations, according to a published report.

The airline has proposed constructing a new terminal behind the historic building and using the old terminal's passenger bridges to link the two, The New York Times reported Thursday.

Preservationists and architects have sought to preserve the original use of the terminal, which was designed by Eero Saarinen in 1962 and designated a city landmark in 1994.

The Sourcebook of Contemporary North American Architecture once said the building's "curving contours uncannily suggest a bird in flight." It has been out of use since TWA left in October 2001.

Neither JetBlue nor the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport, think the building can be modernized for use as a fully operational terminal, but the airline could use it for a small part of its operations, the Times said.

"We would like to be able to embrace the Saarinen building and make it part of the JetBlue image," Richard Smyth, vice president of redevelopment for JetBlue, told the Times.

The airline hopes to triple the number of flights it runs out of the airport, currently between 75 and 80 per day, the Times said.

http://wcco.com/water/watercooler_story_275064802.html

October 19, 2003

J.F.K. Project Would Reopen Famed Terminal

By COREY KILGANNON

JetBlue Airways and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey have agreed on a plan for the airline to build a modern 26-gate terminal adjacent to Terminal 5 at Kennedy International Airport, the historic Trans World Airlines Flight Center designed by Eero Saarinen, officials said yesterday.

After intense discussions in recent weeks, JetBlue and the Port Authority, which operates the airport, reached a consensus and submitted their final comments to the Federal Aviation Administration last week. The agency has final approval on airport projects and is expected to make a decision within a month.

Richard J. Smyth, vice president of redevelopment at JetBlue, said all parties "feel pretty good" that the plans will be approved.

"We finally arrived at a consensus and made a formal recommendation to the F.A.A. with an approach that seems to be the best plan for everyone," he said.

If approved, the $600 million project would be a bold, ambitious move during a dismal economic time in the airline industry and would help JetBlue, the largest domestic carrier at Kennedy, greatly expand its operations there.

The deal would also revive Terminal 5, famed for its distinctive modern style but closed since October 2001 when Trans World Airlines ceased operations.

"With the building empty, it continues to deteriorate," Mr. Smyth said. "This plan saves a historic building and allows the appropriate upgrade for a modern airline, so we can grow at J.F.K."

The 41-year-old terminal is a city landmark. But after it closed, several New York preservation groups feared that it might be declared obsolete by airport officials and demolished. They began fighting for a development project that would include it as a functioning terminal, rather than a museum piece.

Frank E. Sanchis III, executive director of the Municipal Art Society, which was involved in the discussions, called the final recommendations a "happy solution."

"The plan provides a functional use for one of the most wonderful buildings ever designed to board an airplane from," he said.

Alan Hicks, a Port Authority spokesman, said the agency was working with all parties, including JetBlue and the Municipal Art Society, to make sure that Terminal 5 remained in use. "It is a magnificent work of art, and we are very proud of it," he said.

Mr. Smyth said the existing terminal would serve as an alternative entrance to the proposed terminal behind it and would have automated JetBlue ticket kiosks. The Port Authority would control the older terminal, he said, and evaluate proposals for uses, which could include a conference center, restaurants, shops and offices.

The new terminal would be connected to the existing one by its two well-known tubular passenger walkways, which were used in the 2002 film "Catch Me if You Can" as the setting of a climactic encounter between Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks.

Under the current recommendations, at least one original walkway would be preserved, with the other possibly modified or rebuilt to contain a moving walkway.

JetBlue operates 80 flights per day out of Terminal 6, but wants to triple that number by 2010, which the proposed 26-gate terminal would allow the airline to do, Mr. Smyth said. JetBlue hopes to finish it by mid-2007, and to pay for much of the cost through the sale of bonds, Mr. Smyth said.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

Comment

That would be really awesome!

I posted something about the future of this terminal before, but no one knew too much.

Comment

No surprise with JBlu there.

I still say tear the old-ass f ker down!!!!!
        Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

So they are going to build a new terminal too. Are they going to use any gates out of the Landamark Terminal? I heard they were going to use it for some kind of museum or resturant.

Chris Scott- Seattle Washington

Can't wait to see NWA A330 at SEA...
          My posts

Comment

One proposal is to "wrap" the historic terminal inside a new mega-terminal. Personally, I think the old terminal is awesome, and sincerely hope it can in some way be preserved.

Check out:

Comment

JetBlue Hopes To Use Landmark Terminal (TWA)

Have you taken a look at the proposal ? That terminal seems almost as big as the terminal AA is building. I know JB will keep growing, but geez...

Comment

Yeah I agree! I doubt Jblu will be the only airline to operate out of that. It is a very beutiful termianl though. I hope that becomes a reality!

Chris Scott- Seattle Washington

Can't wait to see NWA A330 at SEA...
                My posts

Comment

Look at JBLU's earnings!

I think they will be the only airline in there.

Will it be big enough for them?

W/ 100+ Embraers and a bunch or Airbusses coming, they'll have no trouble.

Comment

Working...
                  X