Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ A380 to LAX, as of July 1st!

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU110...os-angeles.htm

The Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 is now serving Los Angeles. The inaugural Singapore – Narita – Los Angeles A380 flight departed Singapore on 1 July with nearly 400 customers on board.

The superjumbo, operating as flight SQ12, has made the City of Angels the eighth destination in Singapore Airlines’ network, and its first point in North America, to receive the world’s largest commercial aircraft.
    So, did anyone go to greet the beast, at LAX? If so, how was the spotting?

Does the A380 have the range to do a SIN-LAX non-stop?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

The flight is SIN-NRT-LAX. The beast replaced the 747 on the route. Range, not sure. SQ has the A345 on that flight for a reason I think!!

Comment

The SIN-LAX route is operated by an A340-500 in an all business class configuration. Its the second longest route being currently operated in the world. The distance is over 14,000 km and I'm guessing an A380 wouldn't make it.. I would love to see the plane in LA though!
      Will C.

Comment

My favorite catch at LAX will be the Korean 380 on October 12th. That is the first week it starts Ops to Seoul. My wife is flying on it on the 13th.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
          Does the A380 have the range to do a SIN-LAX non-stop?
          SIN-LAX is 7,621 nm and Airbus advertises the A380's range as being 8,300 nm. So in theory the A380 has the range to do SIN-LAX non-stop, in practice I doubt it can do it without big payload restrictions.
          TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

No pics yet, why?

Comment

Originally posted by TAP-A343 View Post
              SIN-LAX is 7,621 nm and Airbus advertises the A380's range as being 8,300 nm. So in theory the A380 has the range to do SIN-LAX non-stop, in practice I doubt it can do it without big payload restrictions.
              Darn it. If ever I had to do the ULH, I would love to have the ability to roam a bit. I guess, if we ever get back to the glory days (or having A380s with Movie Theathers and Lounges/Bars on board), maybe the A380 on the SIN-LAX route wouldn't be so far-fetched...
              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

pics
                It was a big day for Airbuses at LAX today (well, yesterday now that I'm writing this). Singapore finally began their much-anticipated sched...

about time . cant wait for Korean Air to send over their A380. its going to be interesting with 3 a380 airlines at klax with only 2 gates available.
                what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                  Darn it. If ever I had to do the ULH, I would love to have the ability to roam a bit. I guess, if we ever get back to the glory days (or having A380s with Movie Theathers and Lounges/Bars on board), maybe the A380 on the SIN-LAX route wouldn't be so far-fetched...
                  The A345 in the SQ fleet is a bit of an odd-ball and bound to leave the fleet sooner rather than later. I expect SQ to exercise their options and take delivery of A380's with the improved wing between 2013 and 2015.
                  Even without the new wing and updates, an all-J A380 would have around 240 seats and could probably do SIN-JFK and SIN-LAX already in its present form.

That's what I expect is going to happen to those routes anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesin View Post
                    The A345 in the SQ fleet is a bit of an odd-ball and bound to leave the fleet sooner rather than later.
                    Not so much of an odd ball now that SQ has A333's that have commonality with it. And I don't see it leaving SQ so soon as probably there are very few takers.

Even without the new wing and updates, an all-J A380 would have around 240 seats and could probably do SIN-JFK and SIN-LAX already in its present form.

That's what I expect is going to happen to those routes anyway
                    It seems that SQ has problems filling 100 C seats on those routes, I just wonder how they would fill 240.
                    TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Not so much of an odd ball now that SQ has A333's that have commonality with it. And I don't see it leaving SQ so soon as probably there are very few takers.
                      True, but still an odd-ball in the sense that they have only 5 of them, while they have 19 A333 and 12 A380.
                      It seems that SQ has problems filling 100 C seats on those routes, I just wonder how they would fill 240.
                      They have problems filling 100 seats at those prices.
                      Let's say an A380 could be fitted with 240 seats and costs would go up 50%, you could now offer tickets for almost 40% less and make the same profit.

Now that's a very shallow analysis and my cost estimation is probably off by 10% one way or the other. Another problem would be that if this route really started to work with 240 seats, it might cannibalise the SIN-NRT-LAX route and cause problems there.

All I can say is, I expect the A345 to go sometime soon

Comment

Dammit They also take the 24's so getting them in October wont be possible. Any ideas if Korean will also switch to the 24's on their 388?

Comment

What do you mean by "They are taking the 24's" ?

Comment

What do you mean by "They are taking the 24's" ?
                            I believe he is talking about the northern LAX runways that they would land on, which are less ideal for photography outside of the summer.

I just saw the SIA 380 parked at LAX today.

Comment

Working...
                            X