Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operations at Juneau

Hey everybody,
    I am doing some sim flying for a virtual airline and recently I was flying into and out of Juneau, Alaska (JNU/PAJN). This airport has the reputation to be among the most difficult in the USA. I have studied the instrument charts for Juneau at length on www.airnav.com. The instrument procedures are quite clear about the flight paths for final approach to runway 8 and for takeoffs from all runways in IMC.
    However, I would like to know if big aircraft like Alaska Airlines 737s also perform visual operations that involve approaching visually from the East through the fjord called Gastineau Channel or that involve departing straight out to the East through Gastineau Channel and resuming IFR as soon as they have cleared the mountains in the area.
    It would be great to get some information on operations at Juneau. Maybe even an Alaska Airlines pilot comes along and fills me in
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    Peter

Juneau

I am not a pilot but have flown on Alaska Airlines in and out of Juneau many times. I am not clear on what you are asking, but I am sure that Alaska Airlines flies a full IFR procedure both in and out of Juneau, off both runway 8 and 26. The departure off 8, to the east is flown down Gastineau Channel, clear of terrain, full IFR, if the aircraft is heading south to Sitka, Ketchikan, Seattle, etc. If the flight is headed north, to Anchorage, a 180 degree turn is made after departure if VMC can be maintained. In the old days, all departures on runway 8 included this 180 degree turn (always in VMC) and the pilot would always brief the passengers that they would hear a thrust decrease immediately after lift off as the aircraft made the turn, frequently at low altitude to stay clear of clouds. The approach to runway 8 is an LDA approach (although now they also have an RNP approach to this runway as well as to 26). Shortly before touchdown, the plane makes a low level S turn to line up with 8 as there is a hill off the approach end of the runway which does not allow a straight in approach. The LDA localizer drops the airplane off short of the runway and to the right. Not sure this helps.

JD

Comment

Hi JD,
      Thanks a lot. This definitely helps
      Cheers,
      Peter

Comment

Working...
      X