Airbus introduces long range A330

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbus introduces long range A330

The range of A330-300 is being increased to over 11000km. There should be quite a number of existing A330 customers interested in that. CX can use this new A333 to replace all the A343 quickly. Wonder if Airbus is already talking to CX on this.
    Next:
    None Planned

This aircraft will also suite the needs of quite a few carriers. Iberia for example is due to take delivery of A330-300s to replace its A340-300 fleet. Others that may benefit are:

Emirates (Replacing remaining A330-200 and A340-300 aircraft) although i suspect the recent 777-300ER order was intended to do this.

SriLankan (Replace A340-300 fleet and improve type commonality)

South African (Replacing A340-300 fleet, although they got A330-200s to replace the A340-200 so could go for more of the same)

Basically any airline still operating the A340-300 could benefit from operating an A330 with the same range and similiar seating config. They probably wouldnt even need to do much training of the crews as the two aircraft are basically the same just with two engines not four.

Comment

Interesting... I guess it will be called: The A330ER (wait, no that's a Boeing thing ). How about: The A330IGW (oh, that's Embraer ).

I think for most carriers that fly the A343 and even other A340 models, this new A333 will pretty much eliminate the need for them. For example, IB has ordered the A330-300 and they will most likely order this extended range version too when the time comes, no need for the A343 any more it seems. It's possible that AF may order these too to replace their A343 fleet. LH seems to work their A343s pretty hard so I could see them putting this new A330 to use, as they already use some of their A330-300s on former A340-300 routes.

But wait, isn't this basically a teaser for the A350?

Comment

Originally posted by WestjetterO View Post
        Interesting... I guess it will be called: The A330ER (wait, no that's a Boeing thing ). How about: The A330IGW (oh, that's Embraer ).
        I think this will probably become the -2/3x4, "x" being whichever engine manufacturer is chosen. Most of the -300Xs (apart from KE and DL) have been -343Xs (such as CX, TK and a few others).

Malaysia recently expressed an interest in extended range -300s to replace its 777s, so if we look at an 11,000km (5,950nm) range ring from KUL:

We can see that this extra long range A333 can cover pretty much everything in the MH network, apart from LHR and the US (and that's academic, because MH has never flown nonstop to the US). This would take care of pretty much every 777 route currently operated by MH.

Airbus is said to be talking to three airline customers at the moment about the new upgraded model and I'd be very surprised if MH were not one of them.

Comment

I flew on Asiana A330 from SEA-ICN and ICN-SEA last year. The planes were new and more range across the pacific ocean.

Comment

Unless the A350 will be much delayed I don't see many reasons for airlines to choose the improved A330 over the A350.
            TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Originally posted by TAP-A343 View Post
              Unless the A350 will be much delayed I don't see many reasons for airlines to choose the improved A330 over the A350.
              There are 2, availability and commonality with your existing fleet.

Comment

Working...
              X