Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the airline and TSA rules on medication and oxygen?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the airline and TSA rules on medication and oxygen?...

I may have to run out of town for a family emergency soon. I'm on 3 anti-anxiety medications, and I don't know if bringing the 3 bottles is enough, or if I need any notes from my Psychiatrist.

Also, my Mom has COPD and needs to be on oxygen. What are the rules about bringing oxygen into an airport and on board a commercial flight??

Any advice would be helpful!

First piece of advice is to immediately contact your airline for advice. There should be a link in their web page to a medical questions section.
    As far as medications are concerned you will be well advised to take a prescription note with you and you may need a clearance to fly from your physician.
    As far as the oxygen for Mom is concerned this can be arranged but the airline will have to be advised so that they can make the necessary arrangements. You may find this link useful....
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Both the airlines and TSA have regulations; Here are the TSA regulations - note links to both oxygen and liquid medicines.

Comment

Originally posted by UALdave View Post
        I may have to run out of town for a family emergency soon. I'm on 3 anti-anxiety medications, and I don't know if bringing the 3 bottles is enough, or if I need any notes from my Psychiatrist.

Also, my Mom has COPD and needs to be on oxygen. What are the rules about bringing oxygen into an airport and on board a commercial flight??

Any advice would be helpful!
        Dave, as far as your medications go: Definitely take them with you. If you think you're going to run out while you are on your trip, see about getting a refill before you leave. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Do NOT put them in your checked luggage. You are allowed two carryons, one that will fit under the seat in front of you, and one that will fit in the overhead bin. I would strongly suggest putting your medication in the smaller bag that would go under your seat. Quite often there is not enough overhead bin space and some people are forced to gate-check their bags, which means you'll have to pick them up at baggage claim. So--make sure your meds stay with you in the passenger cabin. That way if your luggage gets lost, you still have your medication--of course, the same goes for any your mom might be using as well.

With respect to the oxygen: If your mom is using an oxygen concentrator--check with the airline to see if you can take it onboard. I think you can, but different airlines may have different policies (I'm talking about a battery powered concentrator--while some airplanes may have electrical outlets, they are not guaranteed and they are not operational during the entire flight (off for taxi, takeoff, and up through 10,000 feet, then again for the descent, landing, and taxi to the gate).

If she is using a compressed oxygen bottle, you may NOT take your own bottle on, but the airline will provide her with enough oxygen bottles to get her to your destination (and there will probably be a fee for this). You'll need to make arrangements for oxygen at your destination since you cannot take your own oxygen bottles with you (the FAA considers compressed gasses, even O2, a hazardous material). As I said, double check with the airline to verify what I've told you and to confirm their individual policy.
        The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

A related story in the news this week:
          FAA Approves Seven Portable Oxygen Concentrator Models For Use On Planes.

AvStop Aviation News (10/24, Baxter) reports, "There's good news for airline passengers who need to use medical oxygen." According to the article, "the Federal Aviation Administration has approved seven additional portable oxygen concentrator models for use aboard airplanes, bringing the total number of approved units to 21." Meanwhile, "he FAA is pursuing performance-based standards that will apply to all oxygen concentrator manufacturers and models."

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
            A related story in the news this week:
            FAA Approves Seven Portable Oxygen Concentrator Models For Use On Planes.

AvStop Aviation News (10/24, Baxter) reports, "There's good news for airline passengers who need to use medical oxygen." According to the article, "the Federal Aviation Administration has approved seven additional portable oxygen concentrator models for use aboard airplanes, bringing the total number of approved units to 21." Meanwhile, "he FAA is pursuing performance-based standards that will apply to all oxygen concentrator manufacturers and models."
            I looked in the Operations Manual for my airline and it says that the oxygen generator has to be inspected by either someone from the airline or by the TSA to make sure it's one of the approved models.
            The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Working...
            X