Question regarding this 787 photo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding this 787 photo...

What the heck are those large yellow crates hanging underneath the wings, where the engines will eventually be? What's their purpose?

The 787 parking at Paine Field. Just a few of them sitting at the tarmac next to the future of flight museum, awaiting delivery. What a beautiful plane!. VT-ANC. Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 6 million screened photos online!

Those yellow crates are weights to bend the wings downward simulating the weight of the engines that will eventually be hung in their place.

Comment

I suspect they are no so much to bend the wings down as they are to keep the CG forward enough as to prevent spontaneous tail strikes. In any event, yes, simulating the wight of the engines.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        I suspect they are no so much to bend the wings down as they are to keep the CG forward enough as to prevent spontaneous tail strikes. In any event, yes, simulating the wight of the engines.
        Exactly correct. Also to prevent this happening..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHhZwvdRR5c&sns=em
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          I stand corrected

Comment

Originally posted by UALdave View Post
            http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-I...6fb50fb7cc3d46

What the heck are those large yellow crates hanging underneath the wings, where the engines will eventually be? What's their purpose?

I don't see any Air Canada colours in there. I will probably go to Montreal to watch them receive the first one
            I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

Working...
            X