Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transaero 747s gone.

Comment

Indinesian Lionair are still operating their 744s, Garuda on the other hand have parked theirs.

Comment

Saudia ending passenger 747 ops from April it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by SFOspotting View Post
          United's retirement program for the 747 starts soon. N194UA (Charter config) is planned to leave the fleet and so is N105UA. Rumor is 105UA will become the new charter aircraft for United
          Hm. United Airlines is not available for a request about their January 2016 fleet -- at least not from here (Europe).

en wiki says, 22 UA-B744.
          and they say, 11 QF-B744 or B744ER,
          and they say, 53 BA-B744. - no further comment from my side -
          [retrieved January 11th]

A privat source says, 13 LH-B744. [retrieved 2113 CET]

Does anyone know if UA, KL or LH would be able to buy one B744 today? Do they still build this beautiful bird?

Erwin? The KL statistics is your part.
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-01-11, 20:21. Reason: KL?
          LH and the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955. A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
          EW, one of the dearest LH daughters, the brandnew November 19 schedule (frequency):
          DUS - VRA (--3-5-7), DUS - EWR (1234567), DUS - MIA (1-3-56-), DUS - BGI # 1152 (Mon and Thu with exceptions), ...

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.

Comment

On 11th Jan Air France made their last passenger flight on B744.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelm View Post
              Yes. So, what can I say? Enjoy us. We are Dinosaurs. We might die out.

Le Bourget is announcing the latest news in aviation. And ten years ago, they announced what? Not the 747, who is as old as me....

HUGE instead of big is a French invention. So, Is it logical that France lets the 747 die, as the third big European nation?
              Italy -- I hope we can preserve photos of this nightblue AZ-B747s...
              Spain -- Again, only photos will show the IB-747s
              France -- Again... F-GITH is only a simulator ruin.

But, together with Erwin (NL), I dared a look into the future. Maybe, KL soon operates 35 triple7s, instead of
              (don't force me to exact numbers)
              12 x 777 and
              23 x 747.

And France? Airbus is a French invention, isn't it. Is it possible that a future AF fleet only consists of Airbuses? Not really. That would be too boring.
              AF-B777 and, of course, (no, I don't mention it because i love the number), AF B787.

We have to read the signs. This is a sign:
              No 747 is alive.

But also the newer inventions have their place. NH 78 78 is always welcome at my home airport.
              LH and the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955. A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
              EW, one of the dearest LH daughters, the brandnew November 19 schedule (frequency):
              DUS - VRA (--3-5-7), DUS - EWR (1234567), DUS - MIA (1-3-56-), DUS - BGI # 1152 (Mon and Thu with exceptions), ...

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelm View Post
                The German wikipedia is not helpful with French 747s. Do you know a little bit more?

Registration?

departure?

arrival? Let me guess, if I had to choose an airport to finish the last AF-B747 flight ever, there are only two options:
                Charles deGaulle
                or
                Le Bourget. parking position: the museum!

procedure: A farewell with a fountain?

F-GITH was a true companion, and accident free afaik.
                Not all jets grow up like this one (4U ...).
                It's a shame. I'll show a tribute flight in the jp simulator section.

PS: Dorval is a good tribute flight for a 747. And the internet is not a good tombstone. Good things are deleted very soon (outside of our cute little jp world).
                Thus, let me engrave some words:
                She provided 36 C seats (with a 61 pitch) and 398 standard seats. And she was good for more than 6,000 nmi with MTOW. She really did not die because of range, as a few people said.

A last two questions, pawelm.
                Do you know the age of F-GITH?
                And when was Air France beginning with their very first 747 flights? I know that AF-B742s were in the air very early.
                747s don't survive when they are as old as me (soon 28, or 18... ).

The AF-B747 program, Rest in Peace. After more than 35 years (my rough guess).
                Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-01-25, 05:52. Reason: Dorval will be a good tribute flight. Stay tuned.

Comment

35 years were only a rough guess...

Only one link in one post?

jp provides real aviation treasures, I really love it.

http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/9902

A history of 45 years of AF-B747s has found an end. Well, this is probably worth more than just 1 tribute flight.

B747-100, I have never stood beside one in my life. What a great photo.

Pilots go to work on a bicycle.

Comment

Vision Air an ACMI operator in Pakistan have stopped flying their one and only 747-200F, its now with another operator.

Comment

Iran's Mahan Air have also stopped operating their 747s, they had two 300 series.

743 is now with following:

Max Air of Nigeria, Passenger charter 3-5
                      Saudia VIP Royal flight division 1
                      Aquilene International of Georgia, Cargo 1

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
                        Malaysia Airlines are using their 747s again as standby for A380 as well as additional capacity.
                        This is an interesting astory at MAS. The 747s are only online again (in small numbers) to supplement capacity as the A380s go through heavy maintenance/checks. With the complete removal of the 777 fleet at MAS, the A380s went from being 'excess' to being necessary (and their recent efforts to rid themselves their A380 fleet have died down). Here's to hoping that MAS finds Her footing, and soon.
                        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                          This is an interesting astory at MAS. The 747s are only online again (in small numbers) to supplement capacity as the A380s go through heavy maintenance/checks. With the complete removal of the 777 fleet at MAS, the A380s went from being 'excess' to being necessary (and their recent efforts to rid themselves their A380 fleet have died down). Here's to hoping that MAS finds Her footing, and soon.
                          Always a pleasure to write next to a 100% aviation insider. As far as I know, not a single German airport today provides a nonstop flight to Kuala Lumpur, and that includes also every aircraft that is owned by the LH group (!).
                          There might be or have been one or two reasons for that...

I find something astonishing in this story. Our 'neighbours' in Amsterdam probably could mention the most heavy reason to avoid Malaysia. But according to en wiki, the KLM heavies go to Kuala Lumpur (again).

I expect something like a renaissance for the destination Kuala Lumpur. And why not on board a B744?

Comment

Erwin should be able to say which a/c types in the fleet of Koninklijke Luchtvaart are used for Malaysia.

Since the French have abolished their 747 history (since 1971?!), there are only a few airlines left in Europe, who today operate "the Jumbo"...

Greetings to Amsterdam.

Comment

In remembrance of an early jetphotos advocate from downunder, I like to continue the list "747 operators in 2016"...

QF-B744ER. She still is in the air. But I haven't read him for a while.

When I became a jp member really nothing saw like ... my 747 would survive his 767. But things are as they are. Good to see that he is online, from time to time...

PS: Hm. 1966 seems to have been a good year, not only for chief executive officers in Europe. And I am very happy that he has found us, or the company has found him. And I don't talk about QF. I know that "leading positions" are subject to be changed from time to time. But not all chiefs are coming in with a deep knowledge of what they are selling. Never change a winning team, that also goes for the northern hemisphere.
                              Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-05-05, 04:10. Reason: say a yob for the chief executive officer of a major intercontinental airline...

Comment

I was reading a news article earlier this evening, stating that DELTA Airlines will be retiring their ex-Northwest 747's by 2017.

Comment

Working...
                                X