Whos phasing out 747s in the coming months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
    This is an interesting astory at MAS. The 747s are only online again (in small numbers) to supplement capacity as the A380s go through heavy maintenance/checks. With the complete removal of the 777 fleet at MAS, the A380s went from being 'excess' to being necessary (and their recent efforts to rid themselves their A380 fleet have died down). Here's to hoping that MAS finds Her footing, and soon.
    I thought A380s only do London and airlienroute has said the 747 on that route as was planned from this month has been dropped so it continues with the Airbus.

Comment

Iran Air have stopped operating passenger 747-200 they had three Combi versions.

742 still with following

Iran Air Cargo
      Iran Air Force one operated by Caspian Airlines of Iran
      Uni Top Airlines cargo of China
      Kalitta Air cargo of USA
      Rolls Royce North America
      US Air Force
      The Cargo Airlines of Georgia, operating for Kam Air of Afghanistan
      Kabo Air charter of Nigeria
      AHS Air cargo of Pakistan
      Avia Trans Export cargo of Belarus
      Continental Airways cargo of Moldova

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
        I thought A380s only do London and airlienroute has said the 747 on that route as was planned from this month has been dropped so it continues with the Airbus.
        I would not doubt that, and you are correct on the count that the A380s only serve the LHR route.

The two airlines have signed a code share deal that will allow Malaysia customers to book routes to Europe with Emirates, while in exchange Malaysia will offer Emirates passengers connections within the Asia Pacific region.

Mueller told Reuters the deal would allow Malaysia to avoid making losses on routes to Europe because it would stop flying to Amsterdam and Paris with its own planes from the end of January and instead book customers onto flights operated by Emirates.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ma...0TL23Y20151202
        To explain;
        - MAS quit all other European destinations (to be fair, the only remaining European footprint was LHR, CDG and AMS).
        - MAS then signed this deal with EK (very similarly to what QF has done),
        - retired the 777s,
        - and focused on the A380s on LHR.

The lack of available aircraft to substitute (as now - the second largest aircraft, in the regularly operating fleet - is the A330, which is not capable of KUL-LHR non-stop), left MAS with a bit of a pickle in dealing with maintenance of the A380 fleet. As with QF, the planes that are there, are stretched thin - onto long routes, with extensive pressures to operate the aircraft profitably - so fleet utility is high. The 747s returned temporarily (with the added benefit of very low fuel prices) to support some of the strain. I assume that they have now cleared that backlog of work and so can focus back to regular operations.
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

The 747 never got to fly to London.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
            The 747 never got to fly to London.
            Amazing. America and Asia is talking about 747s, especially about MH-B744?
            Let Europe participate.

Hm. LUNN, I think you are wrong. You use the jetphotos platform since more than 10 years, and you haven't seen this one?

MH-B744 at LHR.

Since my post #88, Erwin did not participate here. So, let me be the European office for nonstop flights to Kuala Lumpur.
            KL 809
            AMS - KUL nonstop in exactly 12 hours, on board a KL-B772.

In 2016, there are three airlines in Europe who operate the 747 (passenger version):
            BA,
            KL,
            and
            LH.

But Malaysia today is not a 747 destination. BA uses the famous 78 7 . Times change, I don't know if WMKK again becomes a LH-B744 destination:

LH-B744 in Malaysia.
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-05-28, 01:55. Reason: 747 in Europe.
            LH and the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955. A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
            LH is member in the 747 club since April 1970. Jubilees do count, believe me.
            Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years.

Comment

Who provides 747 flights? Not only Star Alliance.

Malaysia seems not to be a perfect example, if we talk about 747s.

Again I have to say "sorry Peter", but without abbreviations you can't really describe intercontinental aviation.

TG-B744 is a better example. Suvarnabhumi. Star Alliance in Thailand. And they really provide an attractive B744 livery. I should mention them in the simulator section.

Who really abolished the national 747 history? Air France (1971-2015).

But several airlines who are much older than LH stay with the 747:
              El Al
              Qantas
              UA
              and
              KL.

So, I don't feel that 747s disappear from the sky.
              LH and the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955. A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.

Comment

Malaysian 747s were indeed regular visitors to Heathrow over many years. Also frequent visitors to Manchester back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                  Malaysian 747s were indeed regular visitors to Heathrow over many years. Also frequent visitors to Manchester back in the day.
                  I meant the retro 744 will not be used to London as was planned.

Comment

Are Kalitta still flying the 747-200F, they had three remaining few months back.

Comment

• AHS Air Cargo of Pakistan are selling both their 742F.

Comment

• Malaysia Airlines are said to have sold their last 747 the one that got the retro livery, what a bizzare thing to happen after the repaint effort, was it used on any route after London didnt get it? MASkargo too have parked both their 744F.

Comment

• Originally posted by LUNN View Post
                          Malaysia Airlines are said to have sold their last 747 the one that got the retro livery, what a bizzare thing to happen after the repaint effort, was it used on any route after London didnt get it? MASkargo too have parked both their 744F.
                          Malaysia is a very special topic. It is one of these topics that apparently do not recover fast. Afaik, London (Heathrow in this case) is not the only intercontinental airport in Europe. It seems to be the last airport in Europe for certain airlines that prevents them from completely ignoring Europe. That is true for:
                          Malaysia Airlines
                          and
                          Qantas.

WMKK is an entry in the list "former LH-B744 nonstop destinations", then it was completely deleted from the LH schedule. I don't know if German passengers avoid Malaysia. But since I am a jp member, I've seen two options that can happen with a former LH-B744 destination:
                          1)a It is served with Airbus.
                          1)b /w the new sister ship: -8i
                          or
                          2) It is permanently banned from the LH schedule.

It is only an assumption, but #1) is not right for WMKK...
                          At this moment, I can't remember a destination, that, once completely deleted, came back to the LH-B744 schedule. Sad, but afaik, there are two heavy reasons, since 2014...

PS: I don't wanna go that far to say that important airports can't live without at least 1 US-American airline. But Kuala Lumpur seems to have lost alot, compared to Chek Lap Kok.
                          Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-05, 04:26. Reason: 748i is the code, but Sutter calls her... the /8 lady?

Comment

• Who does no longer like to fly the 744?

Well. In Europe and at Suvarnabhumi we stand strong, since AF has left the 747 club in 2015.
                            The B744 stands strong until, well, and I should know it, at least March 2017, I'd say...

Our neighbours in Amsterdam like to second that, as well as our TG partners. A funny thing is, where all these birds can be found. Between the US West Coast, Australia, Asia and Europe.

Afaik, the B744ER Wunala Echo Juliett also survives, although not in this gala uniform:
                            Today she wears something rather boring.

Comment

• Why is a good aircraft in our country we have some more

Comment

• Cathay Pacific ending passenger 747 ops from 1 October.

Comment

Working...
                                X