Whos phasing out 747s in the coming months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whos phasing out 747s in the coming months

Surprised to note Malaysia Airlines 747s gone though MASkargo still fly two, Evergreen International are shutting down so theirs are going from 30 November, Fiji Airways from December, ANA from March, Air New Zealand from September, any others?

Fiji Airways

Fiji Airways retires its final 747; we’ve got facts and figures on this plane’s life

http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/...e/#comment-467
    Who's on first?..........

Comment

World Airways have stored both their converted 744F, doubt they will return to service.

Comment

Saudi LCC Flynas have also stopped operating the two 744s leased from Eaglexpress, both were in their former Nas Air livery.

Comment

Afghan carrier Kam Air have also returned their two 742F one of which wore a revised livery yet to appear on their passenger fleet. And US based Logstic Air seem to hiave shut down, they had one 741F.

Comment

Kinda off topic, but where/how is Lion Air using their 747-400s?
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

My guess is only Jeddah from Jakarta, Medan, Surabaya maybe Batam too.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
                My guess is only Jeddah from Jakarta, Medan, Surabaya maybe Batam too.
                Thanks. I was wondering because I wonder if they would have been used on other routes if we could have seen these gorgeous birds in Europe, or if the 747s are only being used on those routes because those are truly the most important to the Indonesian market. I can't even imagine how to get load factor figures/estimates for those flights, if I even had the desire to.

WAIT! I got it! Are they only being used on Hajj flights? If so, what do these aircraft do other parts of the year? Or, isn't there a large Indonesian 'ex-pat.' population there?

How does PIA (or perhaps more importantly, the smaller carriers...) deal with the surge at Hajj? Does it throw off the schedule, or do they lease planes/crews - or pull planes out of storage? Logistically, Hajj is a miracle/nightmare/wonder. I get dizzy thinking about it, but wonder how people deal with it.

I know that it's a bit off topic, but I do believe that this is warranted to ask in that many of these 747s that are being retired may find second lives with charters and perhaps stored at some fleets to quite efficiently deal with Hajj flights. Very few religious migrations are on this scale, and over this span of geography and the 747 is ideal for that.
                Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Their ia also a small pilgrimage called Umra that can be performed at any time so the 747s are in use always, for PIA they do lease planes, while the others use their own, though Shaheen had leased some a couple years ago when they were allowed to operate hajj services, the leased aircraft were also used for their own scheduled flights and operated with the airline for over a year.

PIA 747s might be phased out after Hajj.

Comment

What about MIDEX Cargo Airlines in the U.A.E.? They have (or had) 2 or 3 747's. I don't know if they're still flying them or discontinued them in 2013? Does anyone know the latest on them?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick G View Post
                      What about MIDEX Cargo Airlines in the U.A.E.? They have (or had) 2 or 3 747's. I don't know if they're still flying them or discontinued them in 2013? Does anyone know the latest on them?

Thanks.
                      Should be operational.
                      “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                        Thanks. I was wondering because I wonder if they would have been used on other routes if we could have seen these gorgeous birds in Europe, or if the 747s are only being used on those routes because those are truly the most important to the Indonesian market. I can't even imagine how to get load factor figures/estimates for those flights, if I even had the desire to.

WAIT! I got it! Are they only being used on Hajj flights? If so, what do these aircraft do other parts of the year? Or, isn't there a large Indonesian 'ex-pat.' population there?

How does PIA (or perhaps more importantly, the smaller carriers...) deal with the surge at Hajj? Does it throw off the schedule, or do they lease planes/crews - or pull planes out of storage? Logistically, Hajj is a miracle/nightmare/wonder. I get dizzy thinking about it, but wonder how people deal with it.

I know that it's a bit off topic, but I do believe that this is warranted to ask in that many of these 747s that are being retired may find second lives with charters and perhaps stored at some fleets to quite efficiently deal with Hajj flights. Very few religious migrations are on this scale, and over this span of geography and the 747 is ideal for that.
                        The Hajj is indeed a nightmare for Jeddah, so much so that the Saudi's built a special terminal just for the Hajj pilgrims. Approximately 2 million pilgrim visitors attend each year from outside Saudi Arabia with a total of just over 3 million attending when you include Saudi nationals.
                        Just about every aircraft chartered for the Hajj is a 747 although the only flights involved in crashes on Hajj duties were both old DC8's. I worked as a paramedic in Saudi for a time not far from Jeddah and we used to hold our breath so to speak during the Hajj for fear of an aviation disaster. An awful lot of the chartered aircraft were somewhat past their "sell by date" to say the least.
                        One of the DC8's that crashed experienced an in-flight fire after an underinflated tyre caused a wheel well fire. The fire was reportedly so severe that bodies were seen falling from the aircraft while it was still airborne indicating that the floor had burned through. The tragedy of this crash was that the ramp agent knew of the underinflated tyre and that it was below minimum permissible pressure for take off yet he cleared the flight for operation due to there not being any nitrogen inflation available and he did'nt want any dispatch delay. 261 people died as a result of that mans incompetence.
                        The death toll for the Hajj doesn't just stop with aviation though. Over 3500 pilgrims have died since 1980 in stampedes, usually involvig the use of a 500 yard long air conditionedtunnel used to access one of the religious sites. The worst stampede was in 1990 when 1400 pilgrims died.

Apologies for going a bit off topic there but many people don't realise the dangers of the Hajj pilgrimage.
                        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

NASAs N905NA was dissembled into several parts the last several weeks and no longer flyable. It is heading to a Houston area museum.
                          Its sister ship N911NA was grounded some time ago and is used for spare parts for N747NA.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                            The Hajj is indeed a nightmare for Jeddah, so much so that the Saudi's built a special terminal just for the Hajj pilgrims. Approximately 2 million pilgrim visitors attend each year from outside Saudi Arabia with a total of just over 3 million attending when you include Saudi nationals.
                            Just about every aircraft chartered for the Hajj is a 747 although the only flights involved in crashes on Hajj duties were both old DC8's. I worked as a paramedic in Saudi for a time not far from Jeddah and we used to hold our breath so to speak during the Hajj for fear of an aviation disaster. An awful lot of the chartered aircraft were somewhat past their "sell by date" to say the least.
                            One of the DC8's that crashed experienced an in-flight fire after an underinflated tyre caused a wheel well fire. The fire was reportedly so severe that bodies were seen falling from the aircraft while it was still airborne indicating that the floor had burned through. The tragedy of this crash was that the ramp agent knew of the underinflated tyre and that it was below minimum permissible pressure for take off yet he cleared the flight for operation due to there not being any nitrogen inflation available and he did'nt want any dispatch delay. 261 people died as a result of that mans incompetence.
                            The death toll for the Hajj doesn't just stop with aviation though. Over 3500 pilgrims have died since 1980 in stampedes, usually involvig the use of a 500 yard long air conditionedtunnel used to access one of the religious sites. The worst stampede was in 1990 when 1400 pilgrims died.

Apologies for going a bit off topic there but many people don't realise the dangers of the Hajj pilgrimage.
                            Thank for this great insight and stories, Brian! I have heard about what a "mess" Jeddah is during Hajj season, but I didn't know about these stories. Working as a paramedic over there must have been absolutely fascinating.

Comment

As far as I know, other than those mentioned, Cathay is phasing theirs out pretty quickly, not sure on a date. I know come August, they won't be flying long-haul anymore. Philippines just announced they will be retired in the next 2 weeks or so since they can now fly the 77W to SFO/LAX. So Philippines will be the next one for sure.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
                              X