Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LUNN
    replied
    Virgin's went in June, Qantas going next week.

Leave a comment:

• KGEG
    replied
    I can't say I am surprised, the writing was on the wall pretty much even before the financial problems caused by the 737 MAX and pandemic and the fact its main competition is also going out of production.

It is the end of an era regardless of how much longer the remaining 747's will fly, and even then most of them are cargo variants, and lets be honest its still cool to see those but it also isn't the same as seeing one full of people and windows lined up and down the fuselage, where less people are able to appreciate the plane and its beauty and only people who work for the cargo handler can catch a ride.

Leave a comment:

• Highkeas
    replied
    From AIAA Newsletter:

Boeing To Retire 747 Jumbo Jet

Reuters (7/2) reported that The Boeing Company “is pulling the plug on its 747 jumbo jet, Bloomberg News reported on Thursday.” The final aircraft is going to “roll out of a Seattle area factory in about two years, according to the Bloomberg report.” Major US airlines such as Delta have already retired the aircraft.

CNBC (7/4) reported that a Boeing spokesperson said, “At a build rate of 0.5 airplanes per month, the 747-8 program has more than two years of production ahead of it in order to fulfill our current customer commitments. ... We will continue to make the right decisions to keep the production line healthy and meet customer needs.”

Leave a comment:

• kalo
    replied
    744 F-HSUN leaves Orly to Kemble on 09 June, F-HSEA on 12 June and F-GTUI tomorrow 15 June. All three will be scrapped.

(history of all Boeing 747 used by Corsair: https://www.aeroport-paris-orly.com/corsair-et-les-747)

Leave a comment:

• kalo
    replied
    Originally posted by kalo View Post
    Corsair International (Paris Orly, France) always use 3 744 F-GTUI, F-HSUN, F-HSEA.
    The first 744 CRL will be phase out in 2020, the second one in 2021 with the arrival of first Airbus A330-900.

https://www.aeroport-paris-orly.com/previsions

Jean-Charles
    aeroport-paris-orly.com
    Finally, Corsair withdraws its last 3 Boeing 747-400 (all parked at Paris-Orly) due to covid-19 crisis.

(history of all Boeing 747 used by Corsair: https://www.aeroport-paris-orly.com/corsair-et-les-747)

Leave a comment:

• pawelm
    replied
    According to Scramble Magazine, KLM is planning to retire the last 7 of their B744 pax version earlier. Much, much earlier - starting on 26th March 2020...

https://m.facebook.com/Scramblemagaz...type=3&theater

Leave a comment:

• LUNN
    replied
    Flexport is to end freighter operations this month, they operate a single leased 744F in own livery.

Leave a comment:

• LUNN
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim Bowrey View Post
    Thats only VH-OJU which ends on 13OCT19, there will still be x6 747-400/ER's to remain flying until the last one leaves the fleet and the end of 2020.
    Was going to change it to El Al which have announced same month for theirs.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Bowrey
    replied
    Originally posted by LUNN View Post
    Qantas is to end 747 service in October.
    Thats only VH-OJU which ends on 13OCT19, there will still be x6 747-400/ER's to remain flying until the last one leaves the fleet and the end of 2020.

Leave a comment:

• LUNN
    replied
    Qantas is to end 747 service in October.

Leave a comment:

• LUNN
    replied
    Saudi and Bahrain govt 747SP are gone as well.

Leave a comment:

• LUNN
    replied
    Some more ex-747 operators:

EVA Air and EVA Cargo
    Japan Air Defence
    Kuwait Airways
    Med View
    United Charter

Temporary leased also ended for LATAM Chile, Norwegian,and Sun Express.

Leave a comment:

• ATLcrew
    replied
    I would imagine an LH 744 would be a very high-time airframe by now, well over 100,000 hours. The SP has under 70,000.

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
    My sources tell me the current asking price is $9.5 million including a fresh C check and new paint. Sounds like the Qataris basically dumped it. They were originally asking $25 million. I'd love to buy it, I'm not sure a cooler personal airplane exists. Paint it probably in 747SP prototype house colors. Do angel flights and airshows. That would be fun!
    I don't need sources to know that 9,500,000 $ for a 747 is nothing. There are sources where we can find the price for a LH-B744, by then when it was brandnew. But what number would you say if I tried to sell you, let's say, a 30 year old LH-B744. I have D-ABVP in my mind, assumed that she stays within my favorite airline until she's 30.
    Now you like to know when she was born. February 1997, afaik.

So, we have to talk again in the year xxxx. But I'd expect clearly more than only nine .
    I mean, 744, you don't get much more in a longhaul cockpit. ND, PFD, two EICAS displays, TCAS, GPWS, et cetera...

That's the thing which in my eyes is so cute, the Qatari 747SP still is younger than me, but between 79 and 97 something happened in a 747 cockpit.
    So, thirtyone? Not too much for a 30 year old perfectly maintenanced 747-400, with 350 seats.

But let's wait until 2027.

PS: One moment. Probably I have a better idea. BKK during the season is a LH-B744 destination. So, .. I know that LH has never used the 747 for the DUS schedule. And I've never tried DUS - BKK nonstop in Randazzo's 744 simulator, because the DUS rwys are really rather short for a 747 with MTOW. But DUS - JFK is possible in a 744, I've tested that. So, for the last two flights. And then we sell her to ATL.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2019-06-28, 03:03. Reason: One of my wet dreams. Member of the 747 club since 49.5 years (join date March 1970).

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Beautiful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X