PIA drops english acronym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIA drops english acronym

After fifty years or more the carrier has removed PIA from its branding, they now market themselves with full title Pakistan International Airlines using Mylius font, with native Urdu language PIA acronym which has returned to its gold colour as when it was introduced in 1976 on the then new livery on PIA's first 747.

That livery and calligraphy were done by London design firm Negus & Negus, who also did British Airways 1970s livery.

Some new waves have also replaced the current swoosh, wonder how it will look on aircraft, dark green belly and engines I hope.

Would they Please Inform Allah about this.

Comment

They will then be able to "Pray In Advance" !!
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

pretty ugly

Comment

How? Its not even out yet and whatever is shown looks much better than what it was, having said that I hate PIA's rebranding fiasco going on since 2004, they should have stuck to the 1990s green bely look.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
            Would they Please Inform Allah about this.
            Why? It's an airline not a drone.

Comment

Urdu logo will be placed on the tail, making them the only airline in the world to have a native language, non-latin script acronym on there.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
                Urdu logo will be placed on the tail, making them the only airline in the world to have a native language, non-latin script acronym on there.
                Which will be beautiful, of that I am sure. I wonder, though, why so many changes in the fleet c/s? New aircraft arriving aside, why yet another new change to the colors?

LUNN, what do you think about the change?

Personally, I am happy to see Urdu (and I hope to see beautiful Urdu done well on the fuselage) - but then again - doesn't that alienate the world from PIA a bit?
                Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                  Which will be beautiful, of that I am sure. I wonder, though, why so many changes in the fleet c/s? New aircraft arriving aside, why yet another new change to the colors?

LUNN, what do you think about the change?

Personally, I am happy to see Urdu (and I hope to see beautiful Urdu done well on the fuselage) - but then again - doesn't that alienate the world from PIA a bit?
                  Interestingly though the Urdu logo is pronouncing the english letters PEE EYE AAY . If the same person/s who designed that could design the Urdu alphabeth Pay Aleph Yea to make it look just as classy, it would be a good thing. Or Pakistani Bainulakwami Airline (PBA)

Comment

Originally posted by exswissair View Post
                    Interestingly though the Urdu logo is pronouncing the english letters PEE EYE AAY .
                    Ok, it's never been explained to me in that manner - and now that it's stated like that - then yes, a change is needed.

If the same person/s who designed that could design the Urdu alphabeth Pay Aleph Yea to make it look just as classy, it would be a good thing. Or Pakistani Bainulakwami Airline (PBA)
                    What does 'Bainulakwami' mean?

I always wondered - why not just use "Pakistan" written in Urdu.

Comment

Bainalakwami means International.

I'm totally against the makeover, its the fifth in ten years, all they had to do to the original new livery in 2004 was reverse tail colours from white to green. Infact there was no livery change needed and they could still be wearing the one they had till 2003.

Yes its definitely alienating PIA from the world, anythning Arabic, Islamic, Persian looking is not going to appeal to most post 9/11, what are they thinking. I guess they are down to just catering to homesick, ethnic traffic who get moved by such stuff, the cheaply designed 2004 flag tail livery was liked by alot.

I would have liked the tail livery in my avatar revived, a simple international standard eurowgite scheme that PIA wore on five or so planes from 1999 to 2000, it looked best on 747s.

Comment

What does 'Bainulakwami' mean?

I always wondered - why not just use "Pakistan" written in Urdu.[/QUOTE]

Bainulakwami= International/ Overseas.

Yes Pakistan in Urdu will look good too. But not in the Pakistan cricket logo way. That looks like it was written by a young kid.

Comment

Bainalakwami means International.
                          Bainulakwami= International/Overseas.
                          Oh, thank you! I need lessons in Urdu. I swear, I always put off learning it because I know that I'll end up lost to the world - reciting Ghazals and Qawwalis for the rest of my life. Seriously. Maybe Bainulakwami is not necessary - as the likely greatest impact that an Urdu-only script might have is in the nation where the language is mostly spoken. The impact might be much greater to PIA by greater visibility at home.

I'm totally against the makeover, its the fifth in ten years, all they had to do to the original new livery in 2004 was reverse tail colours from white to green. Infact there was no livery change needed and they could still be wearing the one they had till 2003.
                          Five in ten years? That's not only a bit maniacal, but it has to a quite expensive. From what I have read, the airline is losing money - why are they, or better yet - how are they getting away with this? Is the airline privatized?

You're right - with that many - it seems emblematic of Pakistan - both a nation and an airline redefining itself through a hard period of its existence. From an outsider's perspective - it seems schizophrenic, but from an opposing view, it's understandable considering the challenges that both the airline and the nation faces.

Yes its definitely alienating PIA from the world, anythning Arabic, Islamic, Persian looking is not going to appeal to most post 9/11, what are they thinking. I guess they are down to just catering to homesick, ethnic traffic who get moved by such stuff, the cheaply designed 2004 flag tail livery was liked by alot.
                          I see both sides of the argument, but it's sad that we have to both think and work in a world where what you said is true. On one side, there is an airline that is searching for a new, or perhaps redefining its identity. I don't disagree with the change - but I agree with you again - this many in this time is hurting what little reputation the airline still has.

I would have liked the tail livery in my avatar revived, a simple international standard eurowgite scheme that PIA wore on five or so planes from 1999 to 2000, it looked best on 747s.
                          Nice! I like it - the tail from your avatar, an all-white fuselage, and in bold (forward cabin, in dark green) "Pakistan" (in Urdu, in Bold - can that be done, can you enbolden Urdu to make it much more like a Pan Am style logo? Or, is Urdu's inherent beauty difficult to do that with?). It would look great - keeping the "Land Of The Pure" - sirf harra and chita - clean and simple (kinda the same way that JAL is going pure-white to get back to their roots). Right now, the c/s is great - but it seems un-original and if you took away the "PIA" on the planes, it would look just like Saudia's or Ethiad.

Weirdly, clean and classic might not only be the best bet - but the most unique and capable of helping the airline.

Yes Pakistan in Urdu will look good too. But not in the Pakistan cricket logo way. That looks like it was written by a young kid.
                          Umm. You want to talk about cricket logo's? Hmmm?

Either, I have to deal with this;

(Where you have not enough land to even start your pitch on land...)

Or -

(Colors, I am not fond of. Why are we blue?)

So, believe me - you don't have it as bad. Yes, like a child - but I either have what looks like a highway rest-stop sign, or smurf blue men.

Comment

My avatar is taken from his pic, so as you can see the livery was fine for PIA as it was, I say its economical too saving in a lot of areas, http://www.airliners.net/photo/Pakis...1f25842f6ff4ea

If you mean the urdu logo be made billboard then yes it can be done but wont look good, it might be more suited to NWA style metallic livery where its can be applied in darker shade of grey on a light silver fuselage, Pakistan title will be a graphite grey or even black, with tail. I would prefer Etihad's metallic beige though over silver.

In pics taken at Saudi airports you can barely differentiate PIA a/c from Saudia fleet, its irritating as PIA's bright green tail and fuselage used to stand out from miles away, I'm no fan of the airline but I know how good that tail looked at airports thats what branding is about, even in this small background image it manages to shine http://www.airliners.net/photo/US-Ai...1f25842f6ff4ea

Comment

Umm. You want to talk about cricket logo's? Hmmm?

Either, I have to deal with this;

(Where you have not enough land to even start your pitch on land...)

Or -

(Colors, I am not fond of. Why are we blue?)

So, believe me - you don't have it as bad. Yes, like a child - but I either have what looks like a highway rest-stop sign, or smurf blue men.
                              Was from there, but since 1991 living here.

Comment

Working...
                              X