A New Eastern Airlines to Launch in Miami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Eastern Airlines to Launch in Miami

An airline with a familiar name is looking to fly out of South Florida again.

Eastern Air Lines Group announced Tuesday that it has taken the first step to launching a new airline in Miami.

The Miami Herald reports the company has applied to the United States Department of Transportation for a certificate of public convenience and necessity. It plans soon to start its required certification with the Federal Aviation Administration.

Eastern Airlines had headquarters in Miami until 1991, when it went out of business.

The new company is careful to point out that it is not affiliated with the former Eastern. But it bears the branding of the defunct company because it acquired Eastern's intellectual property several years ago.

Spokeswoman Maria Schnabel says the plan is to launch later this year after approvals are granted. She said the airline will initially fly charter service for tour operators.

On its website, the company said it has moved into headquarters at Miami International Airport's Building 5 A. That's the former Eastern Operations Center.

Well - I wish them luck, but I'm afraid they'll go the way of the several PanAm restart attempts.

Afterthought: Does anybody else have a "Jurassic Park" feeling about this? Recreating a dinosaur from a few molecules?

Comment

probably involves a group of folks suffering from nostalgia.

Comment

Are those the people who dived into the Everglades? Did that shut them down back when it happened? Or was that ValuJet? Or maybe even both?

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
          Are those the people who dived into the Everglades? Did that shut them down back when it happened? Or was that ValuJet? Or maybe even both?
          Eastern lost a L-1011 on 12/29/1972:

ValuJet lost a DC-9 on 05/11/1996:

In the case of Eastern, the crash was traumatic - especially citing the cause and the loss of life - but the airline was large enough to weather the storm and continued operations until the airline ended in 1991. Yes, it was plagued in the late '80s by a bad economy, greater competition and corporate mis-management, but it survived.

Valujet was not as fortunate - and thankfully was 'merged' into AirTran - with all of the DC-9s leaving the fleet, and greater safety standards being introduced. Case in point - prior to the merger with WN, FL refused to carry cargo in their holds - scarred by the past.

As for the new Eastern - initially they might make a splash.

Because of anti-monopoly regulations and sentiments, and silmultaneously that the "new American" is a behemoth at MIA, and will likely have to surrender a few slots and perhaps even gates to a new start-up in the interests of a free market.

However, though - that's going to the best of their fortunes. AA is brutal to compete against, especially at MIA. Many airlines have tried, and failed. It's normally a brutal market - most traffic is international and connecting - AA dominates both ends of that discussion well. Even if the airline operated as an LCC, there is so much competition for local business from FLL (with every major US LCC declaring FLL as either a hub or focus city) - and FLL's proximity to MIA is so little that most would rather fly from FLL if LCC.
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

although admittedly i fly AA pretty much exclusively, they are not so competitive when it comes to pricing to latin america. often they are undercut by Taca and certainly LAN--which offers a far better better product as well. given the choice, i fly LAN, since i still earn miles and my status is recognized.

off topic: i never did understand how one world carriers on the same routes, same schedules have such different pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
              although admittedly i fly AA pretty much exclusively, they are not so competitive when it comes to pricing to latin america. often they are undercut by Taca and certainly LAN--which offers a far better better product as well. given the choice, i fly LAN, since i still earn miles and my status is recognized.
              I agree - somewhat. I've seen the prices, and perhaps it is always that way given the level of competition that you have one some of the routes - but it is not always the case, as is often noticed in the Caribbean. Admittedly, Caribbean Airlines is a great little airline - with decent amenities (2 free bags, free meals on longer flights et al), and convenient times and most of the times, the prices are not far off (no more than $100.00 +/-). However, AA has been serving most of the Caribbean for most than 30 years, and in most cases has established itself as the dominant, and most reliable carrier. Little Caribbean airlines often fail, or are plagued by 'Caribbean Time' schedules. AA's efficiency and ability, lead to a general understanding - B.W.I.A (Caribbean Airlines' predecessor) stood from But Will It Arrive? Not to mention Bound to Wait In Airport.

Yes, much has changed as of late, and Caribbean Airlines is a modern carrier with impressive operations, but in the past - the wealthiest markets of the Caribbean (and Latin American) markets were snapped up by the AAdvantage program (as they flew often) and so brand loyalty commanded a premium price.

Seriously, I know that at this time, they are dealing with competition which is only fair. A new world, a new market - but I think that it boils down to images (of safety, of service, of reliability) that made AA a premium choice.

One other major advantage - AA attempts to funnel alot of their operation out of MIA, JFK or even DFW. If I happen to be going to any point in the nation past the gateways used by local carriers (in your case Taca, in my case Caribbean Airlines) - I have to change carriers - a hassle that most travelers would not want, or even know how to deal with. Worse yet, if there is a delay or cancellation -at least with AA, there is a more credible person to be angry at and demand compensation if necessary. I know that it is ignorant and that as the market matures further, we will see greater competition and attitudes will change - but it's a hard sell for most - air travel should be easy, seamless and streamlined which has been an advantage that AA has offered for a greater period of time than the competitors in the market.

off topic: i never did understand how one world carriers on the same routes, same schedules have such different pricing.
              I've been told that it's all about costs - that operating costs for AA are so much higher (admittedly due to AA's choices, size, legacy and large fleet). I don't always buy it, but AA realized that it's idiotic - especially when held up against the very competitive Trans-Atlantic routes, and so OneWorld has been working to start "agreements" in an attempt to co-ordinate efforts and flight times, as well as code-sharing and profit sharing to make it better for both airlines. AA, BA and IB have such an understanding/operating agreement at MIA.

Sadly, the people that need it most - never get it in time. If you look at the schedules, and fares with some of the other One World members - it comes to light that we are often better aligned and more co-operative with foreign carriers than fellow alliance members (see QF and MAS, or lack of a real presence in Asia compared to other alliances). It's a major flaw - and one that needs to be fixed if they are going to want to attract new, good carriers.

What happens interestingly enough, is that someone might have to surrender seats to another carrier (as is the case with LAN and AA), at MIA. Is AA willing to give up South American as LAN matures (with LATAM on the horizon)? For such a long time, that has been counter-intuitive to AA's success in the region. Who surrenders, when and what? It's easy to see a more competitive market and, in the case of AA, look back at the good ol' glory days where each Caribbean city was offering you an A300 worth of passengers daily - but that's no longer the case. OneWorld has to convince carries like AA that it's better for them to work with LATAM than fight against them, and I doubt that an Eastern Airlines incarnate is going to make much waves.

Comment

I didn't mean to bump an old topic back but some interesting developments have taken place so here you go:

Source: ATW Online

A commitment for 10 738s and purchase rights on 10 MAX 8s has been given. It will be doing charter operations based at Miami International. I wonder what business strategy it has, not too sure how well that will work against the established AA hub. I still wish it success, would be nice to see some airplanes back in the Eastern colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                  Well - I wish them luck, but I'm afraid they'll go the way of the several PanAm restart attempts.

Afterthought: Does anybody else have a "Jurassic Park" feeling about this? Recreating a dinosaur from a few molecules?
                  Was Eastern Air (1926-1991) really a dinosaur?

You and I should know it better... Today, there are only VERY few carriers left on this planet who I'd call an intercontinental dinosaur, due to the merger addiction (dt.: Fusionitis) that takes place in our fav destinations.... ...
                  For a dinosaur, imho a life of 64 years is not enough, cp to Francis Albert Sinatra.... ...
                  Today, my definition of a dinosaur is like that, a VERY long life and at least 5 of the following jets in the hangars:
                  B747, B744 or B744ER or B773ER or A388.

AC, AF, et cetera, to begin with the not-merged-A in the alphabet...
                  BA (no explanation needed), BN (Braniff Intl), ...

So, without adding C-Z and to come back to Peters question...
                  PA was one of my favourite intercontinental dinosaurs, but he's dead, past recovery.

Let's feed the dinosaurs who survive!

(I am not sure if we really have to talk in English within a distance of definitely not more than 92 nmi... But let's include the CEO of this website and his language in our conversation. )
                  Last edited by LH-B744; 2014-05-16, 03:40. Reason: +translation dt.:, + "B", ++ dinosaurs who survive, + distance.
                  The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                  The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                  And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                  This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                    A commitment for 10 738s and purchase rights on 10 MAX 8s has been given. It will be doing charter operations based at Miami International. I wonder what business strategy it has, not too sure how well that will work against the established AA hub. I still wish it success, would be nice to see some airplanes back in the Eastern colours.
                    AA might not be their competition here. Miami already has a very well established charter carrier native to the airport - in Miami Air International, who incidentally operate 737s and do a decent job with their network and a decent client list. I can't really see there being enough room to have that many charters, especially for an upstart.

Comment

except that miami air sucks. have a good pilot friend who recently left them. the stories she tells would make your skin crawl.

Comment

except that miami air sucks. have a good pilot friend who recently left them. the stories she tells would make your skin crawl.
                        I won't doubt you on that. I had only encountered them in the past when AirTran subcontracted services to FLL on Miami Air. It was fun, back then at least, hop on a 738 with and FL boarding pass. The aircraft were worn well, but I swear the worst landing of my life happened aboard one of their approaches to FLL. It made me a believer.

But, of late - they have picked up a few contracts, and seemed to be turning things around. I know that they also flew military charters. I thought that for sure all would be well. They seem to be doing well, financially as well, as they have a healthy fleet. But, as I said before, I don't doubt you for a minute.

Oh, can we make that a thread itself? I would love to hear.

Now, back to the topic - do you think that this "Eastern" can make it? I was bouncing off the wall ideas to see what new markets they could capture from AA and all that I could come up with is they could run a Miami-native LCC under AA's operation to some regional destinations, to try to capture traffic that would otherwise connect onto AA - but I always think that FLL is a much better option for that. I was also thinking that they could go after charter rights to Cuba, but I am not sure how profitable those would be (i.e. worth the effort).

Comment

at least to start off, i believe they will be strictly charter so not really competing with anyone aside from other charter airlines, of which i can think of two already at KMIA.

perhpas they team up with a tour operator like charter carriers i used to fly on in the 80's did with Liberty travel, Big Apple tours etc etc

Comment

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_re...y-mrj-aircraft

Mitsubishi Aircraft Corporation announced today that it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for an order of twenty firm MRJ90 with purchase rights to an additional twenty MRJ90 with Eastern Air Lines Group, Inc., an airline based in Miami, Florida in the United States.
                            Well, if it does survive to fruition - I'll get to ogle some MRJs come 2019!

Comment

MRJs will also be flying for Trans States and Sky West so there will be plenty of MRJs to experience (unless of course all U.S.-based orders are cancelled which is unlikely).

Comment

Working...
                              X