Uniform Global Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform Global Rules

I saw the leader of IATA on Bloomberg about the need for airlines to confront a consistent set of operating rules worldwide. I think it a fabulous idea as long as it raises the bar for countries with lax standards. But what if the attempt to create uniformity pushes down standards? Is it then just a benefit handed to corporations, at the expense of passengers?

Its an admirable goal, and there is a lot more standardisation that can take place, however the solution will always be a compromise, and not necessarily the best solution.

It also doesn't take into account that there will always need to be some local differences, as the traffic environment and airports are not the same everywhere.

But more standardisation is a good goal.

Comment

I think airlines would love that. National governments would be reluctant to surrender that much sovereignty. Especially if it can be used to favor domestic airlines. Multinational corporate goals always seem to conflict with national self-determination. Ideally, the corporations would love to dictate to governments. I think they have a strategy to build their power in that direction, but I'm not holding my breath. They want ultimate freedom to operate in their own self-interest, but when they get it, they go out and try to destroy each other. Corporate management is like the climactic scene in Reservoir Dogs.

Comment

Working...
      X