S-turns on final: how common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    The LDA approaches I recall had 2 to 3000 ft offsets. There was some decent maneuvering to get back on the centerline- I recall a lot of crisp bank changes...
    Kai Tak comes to mind.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Kai Tak comes to mind.
      ... and Juneau's runway 8 and Washington National's runway 19

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
        ... and Juneau's runway 8 and Washington National's runway 19
        Want to play "mine is bigger"?

Try Paro Bhutan.

Paro Bhutan VQPR Full Approach and Landing, the most dangerous approach and landing in the world..Drukair, Airbus 319....Approach starts from TAKTI 16000 fee...

I liked this comment:
        f you want to design an airport to make pilots quit their job, you should:
        1) Make the downwind so that the airplane grazes a mountain range at less than 2000 ft
        2) Make the downwind route so that the airplane has to fly right over the runway and then make a 270° turn, and a 45° turn in the opposite direction. This downwind pass will be the last time you see the runway until 30 sec before touchdown.
        3) Make base and final turn to the right so the captain has less visibility.
        4) Make the terrain so high and sloped, that the aircraft computer starts announcing 2000 ft a full 5 min before landing.
        5) Hide the runway, make the final approach misaligned 45° with the runway, and so low that in some houses the bathroom window curtains have to be closed when the aircraft goes by.
        6) Make the turn to runway alignment so late that you have only 5 seconds ( I counted) from level off to touchdown.
        7) Make the pilot fly not a Cessna, not a Piper, but an Airbus 310 at only 140 knots throughout the whole landing sequence.
        --------The clip is 11 minutes long, but not much happens until min 6:00, when the runway becomes visible.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
        X