Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Red finally meets the wolf ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Little Red finally meets the wolf ...

    "Sir Richard, what big teeth you have"

    Looks like Little Red has far too much red. Virgin has finally pulled the plug on its short lived UK domestic operation, Little Red.

    Bad news for Aer Lingus as well, which leased the four aircraft to VS.

    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7612249

    It will be interesting to see what happens to the slots, as some cannot be used for long haul flights, at least not for some time.

  • #2
    Originally posted by akerosid View Post
    It will be interesting to see what happens to the slots, as some cannot be used for long haul flights, at least not for some time.
    The route-specific slots will go back to IAG.

    From there, there's only a few options:
    1) sit on them, suck up the losses, and hope for a policy change allowing them to be utilized/exchanged for longhaul

    2) op them with the intent of trying to make them profitable some way

    3) drop/sell them (depending on permissions) on the LHR slot market
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

    Check it out!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
      The route-specific slots will go back to IAG.

      From there, there's only a few options:
      1) sit on them, suck up the losses, and hope for a policy change allowing them to be utilized/exchanged for longhaul

      2) op them with the intent of trying to make them profitable some way

      3) drop/sell them (depending on permissions) on the LHR slot market
      Question - why designate the length of a flight associated with a slot? I mean, the slot is a 'landing slot', no? Why care about where that aircraft is landing from?
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
        Question - why designate the length of a flight associated with a slot? I mean, the slot is a 'landing slot', no? Why care about where that aircraft is landing from?
        The economic return from a slot is pretty clearly better from 300 passengers arriving on a 5000 mile flight, compared with 130 passengers arriving on a 200 mile flight at an airport where slots are scarce. Which is why there has been a gradual reduction in UK domestic flights out of Heathrow over the years.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
          The economic return from a slot is pretty clearly better from 300 passengers arriving on a 5000 mile flight, compared with 130 passengers arriving on a 200 mile flight at an airport where slots are scarce. Which is why there has been a gradual reduction in UK domestic flights out of Heathrow over the years.
          I see. Brilliantly well put!
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

          Comment


          • #6
            Nice thread title.

            Comment


            • #7
              I suspect BA is rubbing its hands together and looking at new markets it can serve with these slots once they return. This said three of the slots were Virgin slots already so I expect that Delta and Virgin will look at operating a few new North American services with these.

              Comment

              Working...
              X