Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what happened to these Asian built airliners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happened to these Asian built airliners?

The Indonesian Nusantara aircraft CN-250 prop and the CN-2130 jet, thye seem to be competitors for thr ATR and Dash family as well as the 737 and A320. Pakistan International Airlines had planned to get 15 CN-250s to replace their F-27 fleet in the early 90s.

'COS U ASKED FOR IT!

"This aircraft is turboprop that offers 33-knot speed"

Speedy!
    I walked across an empty land
    I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
    I felt the earth beneath my feet
    Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

The Asian financial crisis of a few years back crippled Indonesia and with it their aviation plans. The Indonesian government could no longer afford the costs.

The prop was build in small numbers. It was developed in close cooperation with CASA.It is better known as the CN-235.

It was quite succesful as a military plane, as the military really appreaciated the rear loading ramp. There where very few civilian operators though. Most (all?) of the operators are in Indonesia and Spain. For instance Binter and Merpati.
      Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

I didn't know there were any.

What were they?

Comment

Originally posted by Petertenthije
          The
          The prop was build in small numbers. It was developed in close cooperation with CASA.It is better known as the CN-235.
          CN235 is NOT N250. CN235 was a joint projct between Spain's CASA and Indonesia's IPTN. It first flew in 1983 and was certified in 1986. Assembly lines were set up in Spain, Indonesia and Turkey. 220 planes were built by 1996. It sits 44 passengers, has 2 GE CT7-9C props, flies at 460km/h with a range of 834km.

N250, on the other hand, is a 100% Indonesian project by IPTN (although it's really a stretch of CN235). It first rolled out in 1994 and was scheduled to go into production in 1997. Merpati and Bouraq of Indonesia ordered 65 and 62 planes respectively. It sits 64 passengers, has 2 Allison AE2100C props, flies at 556km/h with a range of 1482km. The Indonesian even has a N250 on display at Paris Air Show in 1997 (or 199. However, no external orders were obtained. During the process of certification of the N250 (in which 2 of them were produced and started to fly), the Asian Financial Crisis hit hard on Indonesia. The Indonesian Rupee was depreciated by 80% and the government was overthrown after a few weeks of intensive riots that engulfed the country and killed 500 people in the capital alone. The IMF lent billions of dollars to Indonesia to keep the country afloat. One of the conditions of the loan was to cancel the state-funded and money-losing airliner projects. So N250 was killed. Not sure if the certification process got completed though. No N250 was produced and delivered anyway.

The N2130 was a project that was scheduled to go after N250 came online. It's a RJ project. And it was supposed to look like EMB170, with 70 seats. But of course, it was scrapped too.

The only other Asian countries that ever produced any civil airliners are Japan (NAMC YS-11) and China (Harbin Y-12 and Xian Y-7).
          Next:
          None Planned

Comment

China also produced the Shanghai Y-10 discussed in another thread here.

Any chances of China-Indonesia jointly reviving the Nusantara aircraft? do you have any idea about the PIA deal for the 15 CN-250s was it just an MoU?
            'COS U ASKED FOR IT!

Comment

The Y-10 project was cancelled after the plane was certified due to excessive fuel burns. All Y-10 were withdrawn from service soon after entering services. Don't know how many were built though, probably less than 10.

China now has the ARJ21 project, which is very similar to N2150. It doesn't seem that there are any interests in China (and Indonesia) to jointly revive the N2150 project. The ARJ21 project has already entered the design phase and even the power plant was chosen already (GE CF34).
              Next:
              None Planned

Comment

Strange the Nusantara website seems to have disappeared all of a sudden, as for the CN-2130 with a capacity for 120 plus passengers it was out of the Regional Jet category and into the 'Airliner' league.
                'COS U ASKED FOR IT!

Comment

Working...
                X