Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antonov AN225 lands in Toronto for the first time... EVAR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antonov AN225 lands in Toronto for the first time... EVAR!

The worlds largest airplane, the AN225 Mriya, arrived this morning into Toronto Pearson airport for the first time making Canadian aviation history!

I would have went to see it, but weather and distance kept me away as I enjoy my sleep lol.

Here are some pictures taken by friends.

here she is landing
    Antonov Airlines callsign ADB3452 arrives rwy 05 at 0645 EST, in from Goose Bay YYR. This is the first time ever this beast has visited Toronto YYZ. It broug...

parked up on the ramp. I assume this is the infield terminal area, but I cannot really tell

from the Toronto Pearson facebook page. The people next to it really put it into perspective

So there it is, worlds largest plane at Canada's largest and busiest airport. It is due to leave Wednesday so if I don't go to see it today, I will go tomorrow... weather permitting
    I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Why the visit?
    This aircraft was designed to ferry the Soviet Buran spacecraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
      Why the visit?
      This aircraft was designed to ferry the Soviet Buran spacecraft.
      lol, shy does she go anywhere?

She was bringing in over sized mining equipment from England and I assume they will be transported via train to whatever mines. Or maybe, individually, the pieces can fit on smaller aircraft like the 727F or the 757F
      I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

Indeed, I have seen pictures of this plane at many places, such as Manchester. So it does so much more than ferry a spacecraft around.

And a quick look at its jetphotos catalog shows places like Leipzig,East Midlands,Oslo,Milan,Zurich,Zagreb,Shannon/Limerick,Riga,Basel,Athens and that is just the first four pages.

I think it has been used far more for other things than the shuttle craft.

And cool to see it in Canada, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by KGEG View Post
          Indeed, I have seen pictures of this plane at many places, such as Manchester. So it does so much more than ferry a spacecraft around.

And a quick look at its jetphotos catalog shows places like Leipzig,East Midlands,Oslo,Milan,Zurich,Zagreb,Shannon/Limerick,Riga,Basel,Athens and that is just the first four pages.

I think it has been used far more for other things than the shuttle craft.

And cool to see it in Canada, thanks for sharing.
          To add, the Buran Spacecraft was only flown once (in 198 and was never flown again - as the next planned mission was for 1993, and the entire project was shelved due to the collapse of the U.S.S.R., so;
          After successfully fulfilling its Soviet military missions, it was mothballed for eight years. It was then refurbished and re-introduced, and is in commercial operation with Antonov Airlines carrying oversized payloads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225_Mriya
          Naturally, though, it saw/sees active service in the Russia's (and some other nation's) massive petro-chemical industry, transporting large equipment that is needed urgently.

Of note, though is that the aircraft is operated by Antonov Airlines, based in Kiev - and with the recent tensions between Kiev and Moscow, I can only imagine that a large part of Antonov Airline's business has been reduced.

Luckily, the airline also uses the aircraft on other commercial routes/purposes.

On 11 June 2010, the An-225 carried the world's longest piece of air cargo, when it flew two new 42-meter test wind turbine blades from Tianjin, China to Skrydstrup, Denmark.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukra...ord-69397.html
          On 11 August 2009, the heaviest single cargo item ever sent via air freight was loaded onto the Antonov 225. At 16.23 metres (53.2 ft) long and 4.27 metres (14.0 ft) wide, its consignment, a generator for a gas power plant in Armenia along with its loading frame, weighed in at a record 189 tonnes (417,000 lb).

http://www.eft.com/freight-transport...s-world-record
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

I saw her twice in Edmonton: in 1992 at CFB Namao (Edmonton International Airshow). And then at YEG (don't remember what year that was).

Later AC_A340-500

Comment

Working...
            X