Air Canada returning to the Indian market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Canada returning to the Indian market

It appears Air Canada is resuming India flights after a long gap, with 4 weekly nonstops between Toronto-Pearson and Delhi IGI.

Source: PRNewswire

I'm quite sure the resumption was aided not only by the Dreamliner, but also by AI's recent induction into the Star Alliance and the national carrier's hub at DEL.

Correct me if I'm wrong but before AC ended the YYZ-DEL-YYZ nonstops, the operating aircraft was a 340-300 right?

AC should do well with this combination I would think, especially with a 787-8/9.

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
    It appears Air Canada is resuming India flights after a long gap, with 4 weekly nonstops between Toronto-Pearson and Delhi IGI.

Source: E-News of India

I'm quite sure the resumption was aided not only by the Dreamliner, but also by AI's recent induction into the Star Alliance and the national carrier's hub at DEL.

Correct me if I'm wrong but before AC ended the YYZ-DEL-YYZ nonstops, the operating aircraft was a 340-300 right?

AC should do well with this combination I would think, especially with a 787-8/9.
    So, with a no-VISA-necessary transfer at both ends, this should make things easier for connecting passengers as well. Arrival time into DEL is late, though, which would need AI's assistance to shuffle passengers along to other points if necessary.

Something interesting though - the only non-stop India/North America flights are all being operated by Star Alliance - with UA, AI, and now AC.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

^Yeah, the last non-Star carrier on the nonstop sector was Delta, first doing it between JFK and BOM, and then switching it to ATL-BOM-ATL before giving it up.

Arrival time at DEL is pretty well suited for domestic connections however. The current UA flights reach DEL and BOM in the same time period (more or less).

Comment

Is an AC-B788 better for this very interesting route than, let's say, to stay with the 'B', an AC-B773ER?

The Japanese operate their B787 on my home airport, but I have to admit, this is Star Alliance again...
        Is Star Alliance really so bad?

With this AC route, there is a very fancy way for me to reach YYZ, since the DUS-YYZ nonstop has been permanently cancelled:
        DUS-FRA with... ?
        FRA-DEL with, your choice
        DEL-YYZ with AC-B788.

DEL-YYZ is a good idea for my simulator, there are a lot of free sundays in december. A B744 should not deny this nonstop route either.

PS: Foxtrot, I have a rough guess about how long this route is. Imho, there are not so many types which can do this nonstop. - 343, 788, 744, 773ER, are there more?
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2014-12-09, 01:54. Reason: question for longhaul experts...
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
          Is an AC-B788 better for this very interesting route than, let's say, to stay with the 'B', an AC-B773ER?

The Japanese operate their B787 on my home airport, but I have to admit, this is Star Alliance again...
          Is Star Alliance really so bad?

With this AC route, there is a very fancy way for me to reach YYZ, since the DUS-YYZ nonstop has been permanently cancelled:
          DUS-FRA with... ?
          FRA-DEL with, your choice
          DEL-YYZ with AC-B788.

DEL-YYZ is a good idea for my simulator, there are a lot of free sundays in december. A B744 should not deny this nonstop route either.

PS: Foxtrot, I have a rough guess about how long this route is. Imho, there are not so many types which can do this nonstop. - 343, 788, 744, 773ER, are there more?
          It is due to be operated by Their first 787-900 when they receive them next year.

here is something else that is interesting. At the same time they start India, they will be starting Dubai as well http://worldairlinenews.com/2014/12/...arab-emirates/

I expect Singapore to return to their destination list in the future as well
          I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

Originally posted by porter guy View Post
            It is due to be operated by Their first 787-900 when they receive them next year.

here is something else that is interesting. At the same time they start India, they will be starting Dubai as well http://worldairlinenews.com/2014/12/...arab-emirates/

I expect Singapore to return to their destination list in the future as well
            Hey Porter! Let's compare time, mine is 0717 CET (Germany).

Here in this forum, I've never known what I should wish our, I hope I may say that, Canadian members. Good morning must be wrong, that's correct for me now.

The Canadian connection has been better on my home airport, some months before. So, I have a (very secret!) wish.

Can't you convince AC to visit EDDL?!

Theoretically there is at least 1 daily slot free, because my dear LH has permanently cancelled even 2 of our intercontinental nonstops, not only Pearson, but also Miami.

I really welcome an AC-B788 on my home airport, and if she brings me to Dorval, that would be more than a christmas present!

I hope that Pearson is not very sad now, but Dorval is, because of the town that is behind it, my Canada destination No 1.

Regards.

PS: The most interesting airport in Germany is, until the year 2054, not to be found in the biggest town... ...
            Probably this is the benchmark that I use for airports worldwide.

PS II: The only thing that you do no longer have are... doubledeckers, intercontinental doubledeckers. I don't know how old you are, but my contemporaries were such great birds as, e.g. the red maple (!) AC-B742.
            Compared to AC Ice that was a very basic livery, a classic.
            Like the Landor BA-B742, or the nightblue AZ-B742 'baci'... .. But here I'll have to stop with enthusiasm, offtopic is a really really bad thing...
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2014-12-09, 07:26. Reason: Where to find the most interesting aircraft...
            The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
            This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

If I could convince AC to do anything then you would see 747-8I's flying instead of 777's lol.

I was born as the red tail was giving way to the dark green all white fuselage of the 90's/early 2000's, but back then I lived in Regina and would have been lucky to see anything bigger than an A320.

However, I was fortunate enough to see an AC 744 in the dark green tail when I came to Toronto to see what the city is like as my dad worked here and flew back home every weekend.

I never got to see the A340-500 (my favorite plane in their 90's colours), but I didn't really notice a lot about airplanes then. That was when the fire was lit for my interest in aviation, that first trip to Toronto from Regina on an F28 with a stop in YWG.

But I doubt AC would start YYZ-DUS as Lufthansa used to operate it a few years back, but now they don't.

I knew the 787's would usher in new markets for Air Canada, but never expected Dubai as Emirates operates a giant on that route but I don't think it is the fullest flight out of Toronto

Comment

Originally posted by porter guy View Post
                I knew the 787's would usher in new markets for Air Canada, but never expected Dubai as Emirates operates a giant on that route but I don't think it is the fullest flight out of Toronto
                Retaliation? Perhaps this is meant to dwindle the amounts of seats sold on EK's DXB-YYZ routes to make the A380 unsustainable. Given, AC's 787s will not compare to the premium offerings on EK's A380s, there is only so much EK can hold onto, and given the frosty relationship between EK and YYZ (or perhaps, the Canadian Gov't/AC's protectors) it might be an intelligent move. If this works, though, and EK is abated, it might be an effective move on them elsewhere - to markets with EK is wreaking havoc on struggling, local, legacy carriers.

Comment

A few years ago I heard EK wanted to bring the A380 in five times a week but the Canadian government wouldn't hear of it. I guess AC convinced them otherwise because the flights operate on Emirates off days.

But I think this is one of those routes where a good percentage of the passengers are flying for the nostalgia of being on the A380 so I am not sure if AC's will do so good, but maybe they will because the aircraft is significantly smaller

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                    Retaliation? Perhaps this is meant to dwindle the amounts of seats sold on EK's DXB-YYZ routes to make the A380 unsustainable.
                    It will be a hard sell to EK's already established fans when AC's 787 seating in Y will be the nowadays-common super-crunch 9-across (in 787s anyway) with 17" seats and 31" (or 30") seat pitch.

Comment

It will be a hard sell to EK's already established fans when AC's 787 seating in Y will be the nowadays-common super-crunch 9-across (in 787s anyway) with 17" seats and 31" (or 30") seat pitch.
                      If we are speaking of coach, then we are speaking about price. If the price is right, a non-stop on the 787 sound better than a stop at DXB with an A380. The average price conscious passenger (a.k.a. the average coach passenger) will forgoe an inch or two if it saves a hundred dollars.

Comment

Air Seychelles returned to India as well, and Nepal Airlines are going to from March.

In the pipeline those that have mentioned interest to return include Alitalia, LOT, Royal Brunei and Qantas, while Flynas, SAS and Garuda cancelled plans to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                          If we are speaking of coach, then we are speaking about price. If the price is right, a non-stop on the 787 sound better than a stop at DXB with an A380. The average price conscious passenger (a.k.a. the average coach passenger) will forgoe an inch or two if it saves a hundred dollars.
                          If you're not 6 feet tall, don't weigh 22stone, with seriously arthritic knees then the Air Canada seat 100$ cheaper might attract but me ? ......I'll stick with paying for the most comfortable and best service option.
                          PS. Anyone making "fat passenger" comments can choose between being sat on for the duration of the flight or receiving a well placed right hook.....or possibly both !
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

No.

Started as a roundtrip nonstop A345.
                            Then went to roundtrip nonstop A343.
                            Then went to eastbound nonstop, westbound via ARN, A343.
                            Then ended its last days with roundtrip via ARN 763ER.
                            Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Ok, so technically it wasn't a 343 immediately before but before at some point, it was a 343. I remember AC had 340s on the route.

On another note, curious as to why ARN was a refuelling stop for the 763ER.

Comment

Working...
                              X