Air Force One -800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
    Now that is truly interesting! Not doubting you - but do you have a source. LOL, can someone even acknowledge the lack of a fact? Anyway, that is very interesting none the less.
    Post 25 on this thread: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...main/126179/25

I know it's a forum, but the poster used to be a boom operator on a KC-135 so he knows a few things

Comment

From today's AIAA newsletter:

Boeing Awarded Contract To Build Next Air Force One Jets.
      Reuters (1/29, Shalal) reported that according to the Pentagon, the U.S. Air Force has announced that it has awarded Boeing an initial contract worth $25.8 million to begin work on a new fleet of the Air Force One presidential jetliner based on the 747-8 jumbo jet. According to the article, the 747-8 would replace the two current VC-25 aircraft used to transport the U.S. president, both of which “are nearing the end of their planned 30-year life.” The article noted that while no concrete details about the contract have been released, the Air Force has previously disclosed that it has earmarked $1.65 billion to replace the current fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
        From today's AIAA newsletter:

Boeing Awarded Contract To Build Next Air Force One Jets.
        Reuters (1/29, Shalal) reported that according to the Pentagon, the U.S. Air Force has announced that it has awarded Boeing an initial contract worth $25.8 million to begin work on a new fleet of the Air Force One presidential jetliner based on the 747-8 jumbo jet. According to the article, the 747-8 would replace the two current VC-25 aircraft used to transport the U.S. president, both of which “are nearing the end of their planned 30-year life.” The article noted that while no concrete details about the contract have been released, the Air Force has previously disclosed that it has earmarked $1.65 billion to replace the current fleet.
        The USAF had asked for $102M for the fiscal year. Their total asking budget was $3B.

Comment

Despite the fact that most of the greatest will be classified, I wonder what new, external (or noticeable), addition to the airframe (from the essential 747-200 base, to the essential 747-8 frame) we will see added. Greater cargo capacity, greater space on board - maybe more offices/spaces on board, or more capacity for press/passengers/security? Apart from the 'new plane smell', I wonder what else we will be getting for the tax money...
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Despite the fact that most of the greatest will be classified, I wonder what new, external (or noticeable), addition to the airframe (from the essential 747-200 base, to the essential 747-8 frame) we will see added. Greater cargo capacity, greater space on board - maybe more offices/spaces on board, or more capacity for press/passengers/security? Apart from the 'new plane smell', I wonder what else we will be getting for the tax money...
            Really big letters that spell T-R-U-M-P?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
              I wonder if Canada will take my refugee application if/when this happens? France? Haha, I'm only half kidding - but I might not be the only American crossing the Rio Grande...
              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

It ain't gonna happen.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                  It ain't gonna happen.
                  Which? The preposterous presidential candidate or the preposterously oversized presidential plane?

Comment

Which? The preposterous presidential candidate ....
                    The preposterous presidential candidate is happening. What will not happen is he giving the call sign "Air Force One" to any airplane.

... or the preposterously oversized presidential plane?
                    You forgot obsolete. By when The AF1-8 enters service the 747 franchise will have more years on its back than the 737 at the MAX's first revenue flight. Especially taking into account that they will miss the schedule (and the budget).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I wonder if Canada will take my refugee application if/when this happens? France? Haha, I'm only half kidding - but I might not be the only American crossing the Rio Grande...
                      Good. I am a deep believer that anyone who doesn't want to be here (for whatever reason, political or otherwise) should feel free to split herefrom without delay. Not like the country is exactly underpopulated...

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                        Especially taking into account that they will miss the schedule (and the budget).
                        As it should. Otherwise it just wouldn't seem American.

Comment

Working...
                        X