Qatar Airways Cancels Part of Airbus A320NEO Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qatar Airways Cancels Part of Airbus A320NEO Order

DUBLIN--Qatar Airways has canceled the order for its first Airbus Group SE's A320neo plane in the clearest sign yet that supplier bottlenecks are undermining commitments the European plane maker has made to customers.

Chief Executive Akbar Al Baker said on Friday that months of delays to the single-aisle plane have allowed it to invoke a contractual cancellation clause. He suggested the Doha-based airline, and one of Airbus's biggest customers, could walk away from more A320neo orders once their walkaway clauses are triggered.

Qatar Airways had ordered 50 A320neo family planes and was its launch customer. The airline was due to receive the first plane last year, which it will not now take.

Airbus and the plane's engine maker, United Technologies Corp., have struggled to get the A320neo up to the contractually required performance standard, resulting in considerable delays

Mr. Al Baker said the airline should have five A320neos in service by now under the original agreement. "It is making a huge impact on my bottom line," the CEO said. "We are, quite frankly, screaming."

Fabrice Brégier, the head of Airbus's planemaking unit, said: "We are late compared to what we had promised, especially for launch customers. I fully understand why these customers are not satisfied," he said, though he declined to discuss contractual issues.

After years of strong order intake, both Airbus and Boeing are in the midst of an aggressive ramp-up of production as they seek to build the planes airlines have bought. Both plane makers have stumbled in the past meeting delivery obligations and have expressed concerns suppliers may derail them this time.

Airbus this year is battling on several fronts. In addition to the A320neo, its newest long-range plane, the A350, also is running behind schedule because some cabin interior components aren't at hand.

From this article and others, it sounds like they could easily cancel much more if not all of the order, as soon as the contract allows unless Airbus can fix the issues.

So, the question is, will they switch to Boeing 737NG and/or MAX, or will they use this to get some big $$$ concessions from Airbus to keep the rest of the A320NEO order?

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
    So, the question is, will they switch to Boeing 737NG and/or MAX, or will they use this to get some big $$$ concessions from Airbus to keep the rest of the A320NEO order?
    Would they be able to place new orders for the 737 MAX and get them delivered earlier than the delayed A320 neo? I doubt it. This looks more like a poker game. Maybe the airline is not so eager to get these planes after all.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Would they be able to place new orders for the 737 MAX and get them delivered earlier than the delayed A320 neo? I doubt it. This looks more like a poker game. Maybe the airline is not so eager to get these planes after all.
      I completely blame Airbus here. If this is a Poker game, then this must be the first round for EADS. AAB is known for his mouth, and his dynamically sharp tongue. After the A350 EIS fiasco, I would have moved a mountain (pardon the pun) to distance him from EIS on another, much more obviously problematic EIS. To have been given the same circumstances, been stuck with the same player, play the same hand - and expect a different outcome - is insanity.

Now, I am not a fan of his tactics, but AAB has a point here. It's not as if his airline is being graced by an EADS product, for free. He is paying for it, and it is behind schedule. All manufacturers do it, but more currently - they do it fully knowing that customers are waiting for the product (having been sold an EIS and having planned for it extensively). 787, A380, A350 - same problem; and if I were AAB - looking at a competitor grow exponentially, while his airline is always delayed by these issues, and paying for it - the frustration is understandable. Again, I blame EADS here - why would you put, such a loose cannon, first?

I get it completely, that EADS and Airbus are not the one at fault here - the engine manufacturer is. That said, from AABs perspective - he has an airline to run, bills to pay, and less planes than he expected to do it with.

If I were in his shoes, I would be calling to both Bombardier and to Boeing, seeing what they could offer. At least this way, if he does have to go back to EADS for another order, he can use the spoiler pricing and bad PR to gain a better price.
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
      X