jetBlue pulls out Atlanta-West Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetBlue pulls out Atlanta-West Coast

jetBlue has announced that it'll pull out services between Atlanta and West Coast of US. jetBlue entered this market 6 months ago.

Meanwhile, the shares of jetBlue has plunged 18% in 2 days.

Its competitor like airTran quote: (jetBlue) was at a disadvantage because it does not have an Atlanta hub feeding customers into its flights.
    Airline Route News
    Airline Route Map Drawings

Yep - their stock is taking a beating... some feel it was overdue as it had risen some 151% over the past year.

Such is life because Jetblue reported a rise in its third-quarter net profit yesterday... but basically the market now feels that Jet Blue is now limited as far as new market opportunites are concerned since they will most likely lose any battles at hub airports like ATL.

Comment

When was this made official? I check JBLU press releases every day, and I haven't seen anything. Was it in the BOS-LAX press release?

Comment

It is in the Atlanta Journal Constitution about B6 pulling out...

Wayne

Comment

That's unfortunate!

Comment

JetBlue in an memo to its' crewmembers made it sound like Delta and AirTran were two big bullies trying to run JetBlue out of town, and that AirTran started service to the West Coast as a result of JetBlue starting LGB-ATL. AirTran had the western expansion already in the pipeline when B6 announced LGB-ATL. They were just in the final process of putting together the final pieces (finalizing the contract with Ryan Int'l, securing space at LAX and LAS, etc) when JetBlue announced ATL out of the blue. Had JetBlue also offered 3 RTs to JFK in addition to the west coast service, they might have been more successful. LGB does not offer as many connections as most Atlantans would have wanted. Everywhere JetBlue flies to out of LGB, Delta offers nonstops out of ATL to those cities. It's hard to attract business passengers when you fly into LGB, and at a bad time (redeyes don't usually attract many biz pax).

Comment

That's unfortunate
              Not for Delta or Airtran
              Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
              ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Now I want to see JBLU come back with a really mean response, like expanded SLC service or something like that!

Comment

To bad, one carrier less in ATL, but on the other hand, Delta now has a monopolistic route again (ATL-OAK) were they will actually be able to make some money. And as far as LAX is concerned, expect Delta to reduce the number of flights from 13 to 9 or 10, or a downgrade of aircraft from 767-200/300/ER/400ERs to 738s and 757s just to keep the frequency advantage over Air Tran, that mean "bully" flying 717-200s .

Comment

It would be so funny if DL got beat on theat route!

Comment

And as far as LAX is concerned, expect Delta to reduce the number of flights from 13 to 9 or 10,
                      Was JetBlue the only reason Delta was doing that? But if they were full flights and they were making money on them, wouldn't they continue them? - especially since JetBlue has stopped the routes, Delta will be gaining some passengers. This would make sense to me but everything in the aviation world does not make sense to me!
                      Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                      ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Was JetBlue the only reason Delta was doing that? But if they were full flights and they were making money on them, wouldn't they continue them? - especially since JetBlue has stopped the routes, Delta will be gaining some passengers. This would make sense to me but everything in the aviation world does not make sense to me!

Ayerrr Trannnn

Comment

JetBlue wasn't the only factor, FL was another. Sure the flights to LAX on DL had good loads (above 80-85% I believe), but that might have made one or two new flights necessary, and not 4. By adding these 4 flights, Delta increased the number of seats by almost 1000 seats, Before they had around 2100 seats on 9 flights and nowadays they have 4 757s, 2 767-300s, 2 -ERs and 4 764s, offering a total of 2975 seats, which is second most after LGA and before MCO. And in conjunction with the new flights came a whole lot of cheeeeap tickets. Most would call this "predatory pricing", but I would call this "marking its territory". Air Tran basically did the same on their new ATL-LAX. That was probably the first time when Dl and FL had the same nemesis . And also look at ATL-OAK. Once JB announced new service, DL increased flights to OAK from one 757 to one 757 and 2 738s, thereby putting pressure on JB by offering more frequencies, and of course Triple Sky Miles.

Comment

And also look at ATL-OAK. Once JB announced new service, DL increased flights to OAK from one 757 to one 757 and 2 738s, thereby putting pressure on JB by offering more frequencies, and of course Triple Sky Miles.
                            And then look at the reduced schedual at SJC.

Comment

Working...
                            X