Farewell Sweet knight of the skies....Goodbye Concorde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell Sweet knight of the skies....Goodbye Concorde

This post is dedicated to the majestic life of the Concorde. Like a lion she roared down the runways of New York John F. Kennedy Airport. As she dissapeared into the deep blue yonder one could only imagine what it would e like to be travleing at twice the speed of sound 11 miles above the earth. In someways like a time machine sending travelors back in time as they travel across the majestic Atlantic ocean.
    Give me your stories about the concorde that you wish to share
    O'Hare - The Aviation God's greatest creation, or their greatest mistake? you be the judge!

British Airways ran a touchin add today in USA TODAY. And on the next page, Virgin Atlantic ran an Add about hpw they could have kept Concorde still running.. Kind of funny!

Obviously, Ive snagged me a copy for keepsake. You should go get a copy too! 50 cents for a piece of history!

DeltaASA16

Comment

My closest experience with the Concorde: British Airways G-BOAB

In November of 1995, I was out with a friend of mine and his cousin. His cousin told me that he had heard rumours that the Concorde would be coming to the Edmonton International Airshow in May of 1996. Furthermore, he said that they would be offeing flights on the Concorde. He said that once confirmed, tickets would be available through certain travel agencies. The next day I must have phones just about every travel agency in Edmonton. I finally found one with info on the Airshow ans they told me that they were starting a "waiting list". I was guest number one on the waiting list!! So of course I reserved two more seats for my dad and for a friend of mine. At this point, the price wasn't even set yet! The announcement of Concorde's appearance at the airshow came several months later. I kept calling the travel agance to ensure that our names were still at the top of the list!

So finally the big day came. Our day to fly on the Concorde! The flight plan was from Edmonton, North to Fort McMurray (at subsonic speeds), then a turn to the East, accellerate to Mach 2.05, and climb to 50,000 feet, across Northern Saskatchewan, Northern Manitoba, a big, BIG 180 degree turn over the Hudson's bay and backtrack the same route. Before we landed, we turned two relatively tight turns over the city of Edmonton, to do some advertising for the the airshow, at about 1000 feet. Inside we had all the good stuff that the incredibly good looking flight attendants had to offer. I remember them coming around with the Champagne after our meal served on china, not taking "no" for an answer. It was amazing. We all got to go up to the cockpit and check things out. Lots of local celeberties on board too. Of course I took along everything that wasn't bolted down!

We paid 999 Canadian Dollars (700 USD). We were in the air for close to 3 hours. So basically it was like a London-NY flight, for 1/10th of the price.
      The reaction from friends and aquaintences was mixed. Some said how lucky I was to get to fly on the Concorde for that price, others said "Huh? A thousand bucks for a flight to nowhere?" But I guess that's what makes us aircraft enthusiasts. That was my most memorable Concorde experience, and my only flight on this incredible aircraft.

Comment

Goodbye Concorde!

I haven't been so lucky to be able to fly her, but I saw her taking off once at CDG, and that was one of the most breathtaking aviation experiences of my life.

You will be missed...

Nicki
        My JetPhotos.Net pictures

Comment

Working...
        X