Air Berlin bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Berlin bankruptcy

There is one airline on this planet which is not older than me, but it does not exist any longer. It died before its 40th anniversary.

"On 15 August 2017 it was announced that Air Berlin was filing for insolvency, but that flights would continue, [...]"
    en wiki "air berlin", quoted 08-16-2017.

Well, I know a little bit more. Thomas Winkelmann is not an unknown man, at least not if you own my nickname. ...

Eurowings (operated by Air Berlin) is an everyday happening here at DUS, since Winkelmann became AB CEO.

So, AB passengers should feel safe, Lufthansa will take care.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-08-16, 20:16. Reason: en wiki
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

I didn't see this coming at all... RIP Air Berlin

Comment

Originally posted by FederalAce View Post
      I didn't see this coming at all... RIP Air Berlin
      Oh oh. First of all, welcome to jetphotos. And you have really been busy since 06/17 here in the forum, my respect.

Then, you seem like a.. Canadian. I'm not yet really able to understand your avatar. But I can say that the simulator section here on this forum once was "my section", until this freshman entered the simulator room...

And I still own this very famous bird (fiction), the AC-B744 in "AC ice colors". Isn't that almost insane, after 14 years that have gone since AC left the 747 club...

In my eyes there are three intercontinental destinations, which I have to visit at least once in my life (I always mention the ICAO code):
      1) KJFK
      2) SBGL
      3) CYUL
      "NY, Rio, Montreal..." But I don't really start to sing now, not really.

JFK from now on will take place without the AB flight numbers which here at EDDL were very common since 2008.

And you know what? When I became a jetphotos member, LTU had just disappeared from her home airport. And I thought... they can't be serious. AB (inaugurated 1978_) will never be able to replace LT (1955-2008_).

And you know what? I was right. Now you know the origin of my nickname. For men, born in Germany and with 10 years of aviation experience, there is only 1 alternative to LT (est. 1955)...

I hope that destinations at DUS which always have been a nonstop flight will stay here: Miami, JFK and, what was temporarily n/a seems to come back (!), Toronto-Pearson.
      Who really cares about the difference between AB and EW.

I like to contradict Niki Lauda. A monopoly will come? No. Miami once was an AB monopoly here at DUS. Only the mother company and the airline code changes. I hope that Miami stays with "my" DUS airport! And with it all the workplaces. Also after September 1st...

Toronto-Pearson...
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-08-28, 00:43. Reason: I'll have to become 50 to really learn this :_)

Comment

"Laut Informationen des Betriebsrates plant Air Berlin, im Oktober 1.400 Kündigungen auszusprechen." quotation from Die Zeit, Hamburg, 6. Oktober 2017.

In English: Air Berlin itself has published info about 1,400 dismissals in October '017. Die Zeit, Hamburg, Oct 6th '017

Well. That's not what I expected when I opened this topic. I expected that my favorite airline is able to very fast be a future for ex Air Berlin pilots. But why didn't that happen? Let me utter assumptions:

In the Netherlands, who is the biggest airline, in terms of "(former) flag carrier"?! - KLM, without any doubt.
        In France, who is the biggest airline, in terms of "(former) flag carrier"?! - Air France, without any doubt.

Only in Germany, since LH is no longer the official German flag carrier (since 1997), and especially since LTU died in 2008, there has been a doubt?

There is always a second winner: LT/AB. And there are people who make their choice early enough (2008_) ...

PS: Btw, as long as I am here, I've always said that antagonisms in aviation do not have a future! You only survive with strong allied partners, e.g. UA.

1,400 employees less, is this a result which Niki Lauda seconds?!

PS: As the Canadian has said, back in August '017. RIP, Air Berlin!
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-10-07, 23:14. Reason: This topic can be closed today.

Comment

Hm. The topic has not been closed until today.

And apparently there still are many open questions, when I see the brandnew "who fills the gap" topic.

What I can say for my home airport is, that whole groups of ex AB flights have been deleted without replacement since the EDDL Winter 2017 schedule is effective (since October 29th 2017). One example.

AB 3928 from Lohausen to Keflavík (DUS - KEF), freq ---4--7

Deleted without replacement. The result is, that DUS today is without connection to Iceland.

Spohr said that the integration of that part of AB which he now is also responsible for is .. one of the bigger issues in LH history - as I'd translate his words. And I second what he has said.
          81 (in words: eighty-one) ex AB jets are not integrated into the LH family within 24 hours.

So, who fills the gap? - Well, alot of good things happen, e.g. between Frankfurt and Berlin, there will be LH jets which you normally find in Detroit or somewhere else but until the end of this October, never in European destinations:
          LH-A340.

Will there be LH-B744 as an intensification of available seats for European destinations? - I have not heard of something like that.. But even Spohr admitted that there might be a lack of available seats until all 81 ex AB jets are fully integrated.

Comment

How is Niki still flying?

Comment

I've flown with AB a few times and they will be missed. Their prices were always fairly good and they flew to some good locations. I don't like Lufthansa or Ryanair, but Easyjet have always been nice for me.

Comment

Originally posted by aliigator View Post
                I've flown with AB a few times and they will be missed. Their prices were always fairly good and they flew to some good locations. I don't like Lufthansa or Ryanair, but Easyjet have always been nice for me.
                Well. Things happen. JP members exist in Spain who love LH very much, even so very much that I wonder why IB is not the favorite airline in Spain...
                Spohr said that LH 747s will be in Europe at least until the end of November to at least provide some of the seats that have been lost since August 2017 (the bankruptcy date of AB, and btw the month when I started this topic ...)

And btw, I don't quite understand what people are complaining about. Air Berlin has not been (financially) airworthy since August, so isn't it good that another German airline has bought some of the AB jets?! Yes, I think so.

The language on board does not change, if you are a long term AB customer: German.

And the prices will only stay high until all of the 81 ex AB jets which have been bought by LH are integrated in the schedule. Only a rough guess, but I'll be here and we'll see if I'm right..

Comment

Today, I can definitely say that AB is dead. The airline died at the age of only 39 (!), Rest in Peace. A/C which are flown elsewhere receive the livery of the new owner, e.g. the Bombardier short haul propellers.

But why had AB died? - Envy and Greed. The hostile acquisition of my former home airline LTU (1955-2008_) was not enough for them. After 2008, they tried to do what in (Western-) Germany only 1 airline since 1955 does: town-to-town connections between the biggest German airports, Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Rhein/Main, München.

Who do you think is connected to this cities? - LTU was deeply connected with Lohausen, but we never in our lives tried to do what Lufthansa does, since 1955. So who do you think dies. AB of course. Killed by the Original.

This is the official tumb stone for Air Berlin (1978-2017), Rest in Peace.

PS: I am happy, that I somehow was able to see it already in 2008. There is only 1 Original.

Comment

I recently discussed "ancient a/c types" like LH-B742, Phantom F-4 or the Douglas DC-8 with one or two experienced jetphotos forum members. And I still hesitate to call myself an experienced jetphotos forum member. If you knew who the F-4 and the DC-8 is, you'll probably also hesitate.

But I started this topic because airlines who are younger than me somehow scare me. And I am not the youngest jetphotos forum senior..

Spantax DC-8. Another rather short period in the life of my home airport (since 1927). Spantax offered DC-8 flights between 1973 and 1987. But how is this connected with the topic?

Well. Spantax was even less successful than AB, they only survived between 1959 and 1988. If I understand what Randazzo does, he does not necessarily only develop a/c who are older than himself, but he must have thought that the 747 is the future (since 1965).

Spantax died at the age of 28, before they were able to celebrate 29 years in October 1988. Thus, I understand that Spantax a/c have not really become famous, or important for Randazzo..

Greetings to 1 or 2 "old men" (40 or older).

PS: Since I am an aviation enthusiast, let's say since 1984 or earlier, the DC-8 has become famous as a fast smoker. I've seen photos of a DC-8, where "the contrail" was completely black. But she was fast since 1958, Mach 0.82 . Only 10 or 20 Boeings in Europe today are faster (until today not a single B737 or B767) or have been faster since 1970 ... Or let's even ask B777 pilots..

There is a reason why I own the nickname who I own. Since 1970, there is only 1 fast Queen of the Skies!

Comment

Are you really reading this topic, with fascination, or do the Phantom F-4 and DC-8 men agree in silence?

I still have 1 more, to close the circle, at least for today. Since 1970, there is only 1 fast Queen of the Skies. And I stand for it.

Only between 1972 and 1984 there was a faster passenger jet for 300 passengers on the planet. Here it is. Mach 0.95? Yes, without a problem. This could've been my nickname and avatar, if the second best airline in Germany had survived until today.

The LT-Lockheed TriStar on her home airport, 1994.

The LT-Lockheed TriStar. Famous in Germany since 1973. As we know today, 40 years are not bad for an a/c type, if she is developed further and further, e.g. with a -800 version. And 40 years probably are the limit when an international airline should begin to celebrate jubilees. LTU.

Comment

Working...
                      X